My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

Some *rickroller* is using a circular saw outside at 10PM...

Boy, am I glad it's too cold to keep the windows open. They're building an underground station next to my home, so I understand how bad it is when they're cutting holes in pavement with a power saw.

The fact that most of the construction over here is underground at last and most noise is caused by trucks bringing tunnel sections in and taking the dirt and rubble out notwithstanding. In the summer they had to run excavators for 50 hours straight, because otherwise half of the dig would collapse. The neighbors weren't pleased.

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stupid BST. Set alarm for 01:45 (normal wakeup time) and going to get 7 hours 20 minutes, set for 02:30 (emergency alarm) and I'll get 7 hours and 5 minutes.

Between 1AM and 2AM technically won't exist either...

System needs to die its so outdated.

Daylight saving time is rubbish, it doesn't achieve anything and I'm not sure it ever did.

Anyone whose job requires daylight or darkness does that job regardless of what time the clock says. Everyone else does what the clock says regardless of whether it's dark or not.

Moving the clocks just throws everyone into chaos for days.

Threw me off when it happened over here, back when I worked nights it just made me feel more tired.

Currently the most irritable thing for me is weekends now.  I'm so programmed to wake up in the morning I cannot manage to sleep in much or even stay up late, the family be irritable when they are also not working, and not much to do locally to the point of utter boredom.

Then we got the allergy season to look forward to...

I don't get daylight savings time either. My parents told me it's for farmers. I don't think vegetables use a watch, so that's

I think for most part 9 to 5 people get screwed either way. Doctors, bill keepers and travelers also get screwed up. It's just a pointless tradition.

Yes, that's what everyone says - but it isn't make sense when you actually think about it.

I don't believe there was any point in doing it when it was introduced, and there's even less point in the modern 24-hour world.

I've ever seen a petition to stop it get any significant support though. (Not that petitions achieve much anyway)

Well, it's good and all to hate DST, but the problem is, it's got the tentacles everywhere that relies on time, recall what sort of mess it was when US decided to change the dates on their own, and computer systems around the world were more bolloxed than a chav who lifted a shipment of OC aerosols...

When the dropping of DST happens, it's going to affect a whole lot of people, and everyone'll be angry anyway.

Someone had brought a load of Nando's sauce packets into my pub last night and as I was picking them up I exclaimed my love for chicken (I'm on a chicken and rice work diet and I do enjoy chicken).

Unfortunately it appears at that time all the doorstaff were walking past me and all the black gents turned and looked at me, presumably thinking I was making a racist comment. I didn't catch this until one of my colleagues pointed it out and now I feel dreadful, especially as I get on well with my door team generally and would dread to think anyone had reason to believe I'm racist.

So do I apologise next time I see them (Sat morning) and explain the context or let it lie?

I'd say apologise.

If you let it lie then minds can tick away and think all sorts of things.

Bring it up, explain fully and I've no doubt it will get laughed off.

I can't see you being thought of as racist if you already have a good rapport with said staff members :)

I've ever seen a petition to stop it get any significant support though. (Not that petitions achieve much anyway)

Funny thing, that. I'm not sure whether the entire EU is gonna ditch DST or just approve us ditching it, but the petition worked over here.

Also, I slept all of two hours today due to the combination of DST and monkeying in Photoshop and HFX until 4AM on Saturday, then sleeping until 2PM. But *badgeress*, my next Destiny 2 video (after a long hiatus) is gonna be insane.

Daylight saving time is rubbish, it doesn't achieve anything and I'm not sure it ever did.

Anyone whose job requires daylight or darkness does that job regardless of what time the clock says. Everyone else does what the clock says regardless of whether it's dark or not.

Moving the clocks just throws everyone into chaos for days.

Case in point, Sunday, got up and had already lost an hour of the day so didn't end up going to machine any shiny stuff at my workshop and decided instead I'd go today after work at the boring day job as I was finishing early. Got up this morning, everything going fine until I get a text from my manager and realise every single clock has been changed or changed automatically except the one I use for my alarm. Start work an hour late, finish an hour later, no making shiny stuff today either.

Screw you DLS!

I'll still end up working the same amount of hours in the end, I'm just going to have to cram it into other days.

How will it affect anything?

The clock will just stay on GMT (or UCT if you want to use the 'PC' term for it) and that will be that.

It won't cost any money or require changing anything - in fact just the opposite.

Yeah, except all the integrated systems that already went bonkers when US decided to move the DST dates ont heir own, and everyone else's systems followed suit on wrong day, if I recall right, the cost was in billions of euros to get evrything back on track.

All sorts of communications systems rely on accurate time, and have big switches whenever someone goes to DST, and DST is pretty deep in some hard-to-get-to systems, would YOU want to bet that your phone and internet would work after 'someone doesn't tell it to switch', when the switch is in the hardware, and large chunk of your network thinks the other parts are faulty?

It's always easy to say that doing a big change is easy... Yeah, no. It's easier to build a new system to changed specs than to ensure that a major change goes properly to all the invovled systems.

I doubt it's in the hardware - the same hardware is used in countries that don't use DST.

A software update to patch the DST routine out wouldn't be that implausible, especially given that the code is already there for those aforementioned countries.

Archived