• 1 month later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm, hate to raise the issue again but the site seems to be up and down like a yoyo at the moment.

Chatting on IRC it would seem that various people are experiencing the same problems.

It's a bit of a blow when you write out a bloody essay to help somebody and, when you click "submit post" you get a "page not found" error. :-(

Have you got any other programs running or any other internet using applications running? For some reason when I turn on the feature on msn that lets others see what music your listening too it slows down. Try a spyware search program that helped mine aswell, also when afters 18:00 you get all the cheap internet users on (parantly theres still a lot of deals using this) hope this helped.

Nice avaitor by the way dog soldiers rocks!!

Edited by Dithindious

About 20mins ago apache/httpd reshuffled itself as it was meant to but went unresponsive, I don't really know why either at this point.

There's a system that monitors services on here to ensure things stay alive, and that needs tweaking as well as the server config to cater for peak periods, there's no real scheme to tweaking the stuff it's mostly just educated guesswork (looks to be a pretty regular process if the loading/userbase keeps going up too).

For those that care about such things: Service stability is down to the fact that we're hitting the upper bound of maxclients (connections open to users) that can physically be handled without a major rework of server software, then when the monitoring system checks to see if the site is up it can't see it (as there's already a maximum number of people reading stuff) so it restarts the service because it thinks there's an error. I really need to rework the monitoring config to avoid this issue, but need a few quiet hours to do it.

I'm keeping an eye on things as best I can but at the moment as I'm PST (GMT+8) it maes things a bit more interesting.

For those that care about such things: Service stability is down to the fact that we're hitting the upper bound of maxclients (connections open to users) that can physically be handled without a major rework of server software, then when the monitoring system checks to see if the site is up it can't see it (as there's already a maximum number of people reading stuff) so it restarts the service because it thinks there's an error.

Nice tyo know we have so many people looking at the site.

Do you know if it's registered users or "lurkers"?

Of course, if they're all from a government IP you could just ban them so genuine airsofters can use the site rather than suits harvesting ideas and eavesdropping. ;)

[fake edit]

Smileys added for fake levity. :mellow:

I don't keep that much of an eye on the stats to be honest, but the site does get a fair hammering all things considered.

To put things in perspective I'm the best part of 6,500 miles from home at the moment and there's at least 10-15 people in this zip code alone that regularly visit my humble corner of the the web, and that's just those that I know of. ;)

To put things in perspective I'm the best part of 6,500 miles from home at the moment and there's at least 10-15 people in this zip code alone that regularly visit my humble corner of the the web, and that's just those that I know of. ;)

Well, tell them they can keep visiting. They're clearly not from the home office. :P

Wow!

It's getting so you never know if your post is gonna go up or not.

As I've said before, that's the kind of thing which will discourage people from typing long, useful, posts for fear they'll be wasting their time.

[edit]

Took 3 goes to get THIS to go up. :angry:

Edited by Hissing Sid

I'm tweaking things constantly to cope with the number of users. It's a balance of memory and resources server side. I'm posting in the forums and keeping an eye on things too myself. At the very busiest periods it may be slow occasionally and I get notices from the server when this happens.

Yesterday (20th) we had a busy period at 7PM and 1PM, and on the 19th it was 12:41AM, 1:35AM, 7:35PM and 10:30PM. The very early AM slowess is because the server crunches the logs around then, and there's lots of logs to crunch as we're busy (catch 22 there).

Expect things to be slow occasionally around 7PM and 10PM as those seem to be our peak periods at the moment.

We could upgrade the server either with upgrades or completely new hardware, but I'm not going to have the time right now to baby-sit the move (I'd have to run full backups and ensure the current configs were ported across correctly).

Well I ain't whingeing, but just saying; practically every 5 minutes, the site will grind to a halt for me. Sometimes it can take another 10 minutes to return to normal.

In the old days, people would say "check your modem", but when we've all got 2MB ADSL, I don't check my hardware setting as much as I used to :P And of course I'm using tabbed browsing, so when the other window is loading fine... :(

(The connection timed out whilst posting this!)

At extreme periods when there's a peak number of users reading the forums it will be slow there's nothing that can be done about that at the moment. I've tweaked and improved things as far as I can. There will be a hardware upgrade coming at some point but there's no official date for that yet.

These periods of slowness do only happen at most twice a day though for around 5-10 minutes and as I said it's when there's a LOT going on.

I've tweaked things further (hence the mysqld restart just now), so it'll be interesting to see how the load fairs tonight. After that we can see how things go. There's more I can do to get work out of the server, but it means a lot of trail and error and sitting watching logs/stats.. which isn't the most thrilling work in the world.

Board index is cached, so that'd be why it didn't show up initially.

As for slowness, I'm using the site at the moment and it certainly seems fast enough here. There was a period of slowness a few minutes ago though as the web server side of things was doing 'it's thing'.

Edit: I posted this reply without problem, and can edit it too.

I've just heard a rumour that Arnie is having the server upgraded.

I used secret leet haxx0ring skillz to discover the exact specifications for the upgrade, which is as follows:-

can-string-phone1.jpg

Ah... I thought he was going up to the two string model.