• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At extreme periods when there's a peak number of users reading the forums it will be slow there's nothing that can be done about that at the moment. I've tweaked and improved things as far as I can. There will be a hardware upgrade coming at some point but there's no official date for that yet.

These periods of slowness do only happen at most twice a day though for around 5-10 minutes and as I said it's when there's a LOT going on.

What I don't quite understand is that if all the users are doing is literally reading a web page, the time during which they are reading should not generate any traffic. It's when they keeps on clicking on links, then the server needs to fetch the new pages for them, and send the new pages through the network, and generate traffic. So, we'll really have a whole lot of people all clicking their mice at more or less the same time? :unsure:

Well, if a web page does not automatically refresh itself every so often, after a user downloads the page, it's TCP connection to the server would be torn down, and the server is no longer serving the webpage that user is reading until that user clicks on another link. If a post is long or a user is trying to type a long response to someone, there should be a significant period of idle time from that user. So, do you think if you disable that auto-refresh currency converter thing (maybe just put a static link in its place), would that help make the site run smoother?

If you looked closely you'd see that the currency frame is off site, hence why it's a frame ;)

You're thinking about things from a webserver point of view from several false pretenses, and I'm afraid I don't have time tonight to explain how things work. Just believe me when I say that things are busy and for the single machine that manages the database and the web serving is doing very well all things considering. Keep alive and various other systems that would keep an idle connection open for a user are all disabled, so no resources are tied up waiting for a user to select a new page to view.

Might I ask the question........."Why not just get another machine?"

Seems simple enough. You could split the workload between them, or have one store the webpages and one do the proessing for the dealing of the pages and just retrieve them from the other system....(although I do'nt know how that stuff works, so I'm just using commone sense as it comes to me)...

Also, how much would a second server be? I'm sure we could work something out to get you some money for a second server if you wanted one just to be safe (and make it run smoother)....

Maybe add two dollars/pounds onto the arniegeddon admission and that should put a good amount into your pocket to help towards it.....

With AG-USA and AG-06 coming up, I'm sure you could get somewhere around $400 dollars/pound or so........Not a lot, but it would save that much more.

Might I ask the question........."Why not just get another machine?"

Give the guy a break.

Arnies IS free.

To digress slightly, how does it actually work with servers and stuff?

I mean, I seem to recall that Arnie said, a year or so ago, he was moving to an American server.

OTOH, didn't Ivery say that he was hosting Arnies site on his server?

Just wondering how that works?

Or is it that Ivery's server is in America and he hooked Arnie up with the same people?

Prometheus: Yes that would help in a way however things need to be taken into account for things such as the bandwidth between the two hosting servers, which would come out of the quote for both machines. Using load balancing and sticking the database on one machine and the web serving on another is a common way to increase speed and overall performance. It also increases the amount of admin work to do and I don't have time right now to do something like that. The cost of a second machine is prohibative anyway, we can get an major upgrade for very little.

Sid: We have moved to an American server some time ago now. This site is hosted on a machine with a few other websites (this site being the majority resource hog), a friend of mine organises the paperwork side of things, and I do all the technical work which is a pretty fair exchange of labor and serves me well as I can't do everything myself (I certaily don't have time to do all the liason work with the hosting company). There's no need to go into further detail because it's not really relevant ;)

I think I said above, at least I thought I did, there's plans to basically replace the machine we're on with bigger and better hardware, but I have to be around to ensure that there's backups taken and that everything goes smoothly. Plus nothing is in stone yet. I just can't dedicate the 3-4 days of babysitting time that it would need right now so hopefully bar a few glitches at the mega peak periods, the site/server config as it is now should hold and cover the demand until then.

Just wondering what the deal is.

During the times I can't get access to Arnies, like for the last hour, is the site out for everybody or are there 400 lucky people who still get normal service?

If so, can I ask what I have to do to get on that f*cking list?

I just screwed up a post and have been buggering about for a f*cking hour waiting for the site to resurrect itself so I could edit my mistake.

Obviously every other website I'm surfing is still fully functional. It's just Arnies that is a dead link.

Arnies may well be the premier airsoft website on the planet but it won't be for long if this is all that people see:-

Arnies.jpg

[edit]

Don't mean to offend anybody but it is very, very, very, very frustrating. I mean, I have literally spent the last hour swearing at the screen through clenched teeth (which isn't good for Mrs Sids beauty sleep) while waiting for the site to wake up again so I could correct a mistake I'd made.

Seriously, you're definately not going to get newbs joining a site which looks like it might peg-out at any moment and I'm going to seriously look at joining other, more reliable, forums if things stay this way. Not a threat, just a rather frustrating fact.

Edited by Hissing Sid

no that happened to me alteast a dozen times and still does, i will try to get on arnies, it wont even start to load, and then i try to get to my local forums, and it works fine as well as any other site. what i do is just close the current screen and open up a new one, and if that doesnt work i just reboot my comp and it works.

Seriously, you're definately not going to get newbs joining a site which looks like it might peg-out at any moment and I'm going to seriously look at joining other, more reliable, forums if things stay this way. Not a threat, just a rather frustrating fact.

Thing is Sid, it's just as irritating for everyone else as it is for you, but ulimately, this is a free site and Arnie is under no obligation to operate it. He could shut it down tomorrow should he wish.

Why don't we all chip in a bit to help him resolve the technical problems instead of bitching about them?

I'd be game...... :)

Thing is Sid, it's just as irritating for everyone else as it is for you, but ulimately, this is a free site and Arnie is under no obligation to operate it. He could shut it down tomorrow should he wish.

Why don't we all chip in a bit to help him resolve the technical problems instead of bitching about them?

I already made that point. I'm not bitching. I'm simply stating a fact that if people do a google search for "airsoft" and Arnies returns at the top of the list but the link is "dead" when they click it, they're not gonna check back.

Arnie said (unless I misunderstood) that 400 people can access the site at any one time. The other day I noticed 257 guests viewing the site. Thus, only 150 members could acccess the site at the same time.

Arnie has said that the problem is NOT caused by lack of bandwidth per-se but by demands on the hardware at specific times of day.

It seems that the fairest solution would be if all the people using this server chipped in to buy a new one, as opposed to Arnies members bank-rolling the whole thing. Of course, Arnie could rely on members to cough up for his share of that cost.

ths si a problem they are having over on ASCUK.

so many guests/unregistered people are viewing the site it is making it slow/impossible to gt on for members.

they came up with the idea of having the forum open to members only, but then that might deter people from findign otu what airsoft is.