suggestion for the rep system.......

I have noticed that, when viewing many people's rep points, many people, including me, have gotten multiple rep points over one post/thread. take hkmp5roxs, his rep score is -28, and i agree, he deserves some of the neg. reps he has, but more than half of them come from like 3 different posts, where people just piled on reps all for the same thing. Now a thread like static's on the UTG MP5, where it has been divided into many different sections and really isn't truly one thread now, more like a bunch put together, he deserves some extra. But would it be possible to make it so someone could only make one rep point on a person/ thread/post? Or at least make a rule for others to check the person's rep records before they rep point so they can see if a rep point has been dealt out already? or, I don't know how many rep points are given out every day, but maybe make it so the rep point must be approved by a mod/admin before getting put on their record? just made this suggestion to try and make things a little more fair.

Lightning

I am certain that this point has been raise before (don't make me go look for it, or I'll have to close this one as a duplicate thread), but I don't mind stating my opinion on this topic one last time:

I think it is perfectly OK for someone to receive multiple points (positive or negative) for the same posts. It merely reflects the degree of the feelings others have towards that particular posts. Some posts might help only one person while others might help a lot; and similarly, some posts might offend just one person while others offend the mass. If the number of points one can receive for one post is limited, this effect is lost.

I dunno, it justs seems to me like unless you've been around the forums for a long time, it's really hard to get rep points, and if you make one mistake, and 10 people neg rep you, all of a sudden you're in the negatives and everyone thinks bad of you when you only said one bad thing. Now it also goes the same way for pos. rep points, I see people get like 10 pos. reps over one post, and it just seems sorta unfair that one post can all of a sudden boost your rep big time, or make people judge you as a moron over one thing you say.

Well, you have a good point there.

The rep system is not perfect, but the current implementation works pretty well. People who judge others based on that little number below their screen name are the real not-so-smart ones.

I judge others based on the posts they make. If they write well, and present their arguments clearly, I couldn't care less how much rep points they have. On the other hand, if someone spams or insults others, I might first check their rep history to see if this is an isolated incident, or the person's well known for being a pain in the *albatross*.

If one person keeps on giving multiple rep point to a member for the same post, then that might be a bit excessive. Or if one person rallies his/her friends to attack someone via the rep system, then that constitute an abuse, and will be dealt with.

I see people get like 10 pos. reps over one post, and it just seems sorta unfair that one post can all of a sudden boost your rep big time, or make people judge you as a moron over one thing you say.

That might, possibly, make you consider if what you post will affect a majority of people.

Personally, speaking as somebody who has never received masses of rep points for posting links to videos, jokes, guides or promising to post videos of my missus in return for rep points, I am pretty sure that almost every +ve rep point I've earned is by way of thanks from an individual who I've helped in some way.

OTOH, I can be kind of blunt and I might ###### off half a dozen people over the same thing.

Point being that, irrespective of this, it's quite possible to build up a rep just by being yourself.

Aside from all that, it doesn't really matter.

TBH, I think the rep IS useful. If somebody makes the effort to give me a +ve rep I appreciate it and if I offend them enough that they -ve rep me I DO consider what I did.

The end result, the total, means very little. There's no prize or award at the end of it.

k, thanks for helping me clear that up. So the mods do check the rep points and monitor them? ok, then just keep doing what you're doing. I was under the oppinion that the mods/admins didn't really monitor the system, but now that I know, I understand taht they're are looking out for rogues and that gives me a high respect of this site as on a lot of sites the mods don't realy do their jobs. I see where you and Sid are coming from now, in the facts that allowing multiple reps per post will really mak you think about what you say and how if it offends or helps a group of people, how they can all pitch in and give a rep point. Thanks for stating your reasons, I understand and respect them, and when lookig at them closely, can see the reasoning behind them and I see I was looking at things the wrong way. Once agian, thanks for clearing everything up.

Greg

I tend to keep an eye on 'contentious' threads and the reps of the people involved.

The problem is, reputation is very subjective. I've got 30 odd points that are purely because I have a hot girlfriend who airsofts. I have a chunk from writing various comedy songs. Havoc has rep just for having a huge rep!

If you've recieved a negative reputation point in retaliation, or you feel that a rep is 'unjustified' PM a member of the mod team. We'll take a look and evaluate, and we can remove it if we agree with your point.

I will personally remove a negrep if it is because a user has stated an opinion and someone else disagrees. For example, if someone says "I don't like Cybergun because I think X" and someone negreps them and simply says "Cybergun Rock!", I classify that as unjustified negative rep.

On the other hand, if you post something like "I think all (insert ethnic minority of choice) are evil and that Hitler was right!" then you will get a barrage of negative reputation, and quite rightly.

Ne-reps that have no explanation, negrep that contain personal insults, and multiple negreps for the same offence from the same user are all breaches of the rules and should be brought to the attention of the Mod team for deletion.

I propose the idea of a "neutral" rep. Take for example this situation (I had):

I bought something off a person here on the forums (won't mention name). He had +4 rep. Two other people bought from him at the same time as I did, and also got sluggish delivery time and bad poor (but not VERY poor communication) as I did with the seller. One of the other buyers' item was not as described (missing some parts). Also, the packages were suppose to be shipped via USPS Priority mail, when they were shipped out using standard ground mail (no tracking number). However, everyone of us got the package, albeit mine came in 2 weeks while it could've come in 2 days. Now, I wasn't in a rush to get the package, but I was expecting it earlier. I reluctantly just ended up giving a +rep because the items arrived as described. I would've much preferred if a "neutral rep" was possibe (maybe even strictly only used for sale/trade).

"Nuetral" reps would just really be a way of commenting on reps other than your own, wich is IMO going to leed to more people canceling reps, or "mercy rep", now call me heartless, but its not the place of the comunity at large to cancel rep, if a rep is unfounded or offencive, contact a mod, have them cancel it or delete it, that way the cancel is official and folk will beleive it more readily.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes this seems like an appropriate thread for me. I think that reps should have to have a point. Some of my reps or nothing but a frowning smiley because they disagree with the fact that I like Kimbers. Other people just tend to play along. The rep system should only allow a small amount mabey 4 negative reps a post!

Yes this seems like an appropriate thread for me. I think that reps should have to have a point. Some of my reps or nothing but a frowning smiley because they disagree with the fact that I like Kimbers. Other people just tend to play along. The rep system should only allow a small amount mabey 4 negative reps a post!

I do agree with you, about that last bit there. There should be a limit.

Shao, might I bring up that idea of mine from a few months ago? If you remember, I preposed a Rep-Mod team. A small squad of high ranking members (who are willing) that will assist members with rep point. They could be contacted to evaluate a rep point or points and then would do so accordingly. They also would be responsible for just randomly going through and checking rep on people who have high numbers either way and see if all the points (positive or negative) really are called for. I have noticed many members with -10 and below who really got a major percentage of their opinions or a single incident of stupidity. I have also noticed (as with HaVoC) that some members get rep point because of their high number and not because they actually contributed to the forum.

Now don't be biased because of your high rep points mods. :waggle: No...

Just think about it from the view of the regular forum member ... and not as a mod....

Nope i don't agree at all in capping the Reps you can receive for a post.

Lets take a positive example for instance:

A member writes up a log report on a custom uprade project they did on a popular gun that includes a step by step process on how they did it including high quality shots.

Now 15 people really wanted to know how to do this and thus give +1 rep points thus a total of 15 points.

Is this fair? Yes of course it is, the member took time to document the process and uload it to the forums.

A negative example:

A member starts being abusive, racist and other forms of behaviour that are not accepted here,, or post material that is against the forum rules. The member upsets 15 members who all in turn -Rep him.

Is this fair? Yes, of course it is. Why? well it does two things gives the upset members a positive way of showing thier views rather than fueling the fires that most flame baiters want and secondly shows that this kind of behaviour is not excepted and encourages people to keep the rules and guidelines laid down by the administration here on Arnies.

Basicly if you want positive rep points post something that is worth while, things like project reports, reviews on newly purchased kit (Honest reports are better!) Any new airsoft news you might have come across, "How to" threads and the likes.

You'll soon start racking in those well deserved rep points.

Personally I think the rep. system should just be removed, or restricted to the sales forums. It's too easy to abuse, and it causes people to post threads like this that (no offence to the OP) aren't of much use because it's been done time and time again.

Cheers for the courage. I think that would be a very good choice too. I have always though it should be kept to sales only. But that is hard to write up for the forums, and I hear Arnie has some special things coming up for us.

~P

I post here, so that i dont have to start a new thread.

It is to do with the repping system, but not to do with capping them, though, a cap on points per post would be rather pointless, as people will just find another post by that person, and say "this is for *something or other*

On another forum i am a member of, they have whats called "repping power"

Where people have varying levels of which they can add or takeaway your rep. So say, someone has 500000000 posts, he/she would clearly be quite respected within the forum, and should be able to change someones rep greater, say, by 5 points, then some person with 50 posts who remembers being flamed for his first post asking "what am best gnu?"

It might not be possible to do this kind of thing on the system that Arnies uses, I'm aware of that, but if it was, as long as people dont go around abusing it, it could work. To stop this kind of abuse intially though, youd have to put peoples "respect levels" whatever you use to determine rep power, to zero.

Sledge, Havoc, Prometheus, Arnie etc may not be too happy about having their wonderful figures shot down, but as they are respected, they will quickly rise again.

Just a thought

;)

Edited by Curious

Youd think, but I would say that a lot of Jebus' early posts were complete spam and whilst he may have improved his act a bit now that still remains a fact. But that would give him more respect than say FarEast, who I would say is a notably more respected member than Jebus, he has just posted less.

Edited by Desolation mkII
I figured that, if someone can make lots of posts without being banned, or having them deleted for spamming- which leads to warning points and a ban, means they are posting something right.

And also look at HaVoC. Most of his posts are utter rubbish. He has his moments though.

(Makes note to +1 Havoc so as to get on his good side...)

~P

• 2 weeks later...