Cutting the string/lace on a Blackhawk Vest

ColDaz

Hi,

I've owned this Blackhawk Omega Medic vest for quite a while now, and my usual primary is a P90. The magazines fit perfectly in the bottom pouches.

01.jpg02.jpg

There is a rather annoying problem with the lace/string that holds the two pieces together at the sides and makes the vest adjustable.

03.jpg

Now, I originally used the bottom magazine pouch to wrap this inside.

04.jpg

I then moved onto wrapping it around the back.

05.jpg06.jpg

It was either that or have this hanging down and occasionally wrapping around my ankles ...

07.jpg

So, I've decided to cut it down to size. The thing is, I'm worried that I'm going to mess the entire vest up.

If I cut this stuff at all, will it start to spread into it's own threads and pull the rest of the lace apart? Will it just look stupid?

One solution I toyed with would be using a glue gun to seal up the end I cut, but will this even work?

Any help is appreciated.

Darren

If it's decent paracord, you can seal the ends with a lighter. Cut a little bit off first (a cm say), and then melt it. If it clumps up nicely, job done. Out of interest, how is the paracord sealed as is?

The only reason I say 'check it first' is that I have some paracord here that doesn't clump very well when you melt it, which in practical terms mean it's fookin' useless ;)

It's just like normal boot or shoe lace at the end.

So it threads easily through the eye holes I expect.

I'll chop a bit off the end and see how it goes. Can''t be arsed at the moment though, do it after some sleep.

Thanks a lot Mr Doc, might have saved me some hassle.

I've got a couple of BHI Omega vests and as doc said above you can cut down the cord to the desired length and then use a lighter to melt the ends. Melting the ends will keep the cord from fraying in the future. When you melt the ends make sure you are either outside or in a well ventilated area since burning nylon gives off TOXIC SMOKE.

Soba

Remember: Don't breath the smoke. :D

Soba: Thanks about the warning with the smoke!

rifleman: I'd rather keep the original to be honest, rather than faffing around with a whole new load of cord.

Buttons: I've tried a few ways of keeping it out of the way, but I think I'm going to cut it still.

Thanks for all the replies.

my solution was just to loop it back through the laces though I'd try taping the cord ends up like was mentioned before...

I find it kind of disturbing that I'm not exactly a skinny person and I have obscene amounts of paracord leftover after I adjust my vest... I can understand wearing it over body armor... but it shouldn't require THAT much paracord... :huh:

and the "husky" sizes really make me wonder about the physical condition of some of these people that the vests are being marketed to.. :blink:

and the "husky" sizes really make me wonder about the physical condition of some of these people that the vests are being marketed to..  :blink:

Well if you think about it BHI doesn't market strictly to skinny airsofters (no offense because I'm one of them too :P ) but mainly to the armed forces. Now if you are already alittle barrel bodied and then you throw on you IBA (Interceptor Body Armor) with plates thats gonna mean that you need a larger or "husky" vest to go over your now enhanced girth.

Soba

Archived