WEIRD?!

david3558

So I was on the top of the hill. I pointed my gun down towards the guys in desert camo and pulled the trigger while the selector was on auto (ICS SR-16) to burst. I let go after 1 sec. and noticed that the gun didn't stop firing! I scrambled to put the switch onto safe but nothing happened. I had to unplug the battery as quickly as I could. Anyone know what could be wrong? I opened the gearbox halfway, and saw that everytime i plugged the battery in the motor would start making the gun fire...

What could be wrong?

I'm guessing the trigger switch became disconnected from the trigger it's self. Could be it just needs to be reset or it could have fused togeather with the other half of the switch.

Even if the trigger-switch was jammed, putting the gun on safe should cut the power to the trigger.

I had this happen to my M4 around 3 months ago, turned out that the wires connecting to the motor were either contacting the grip plate or some metal on the motor it wasnt supposed to contact, I never could figure out which. Anyway, a tiny piece of electrical tape on both contacts solved the problem completely.

Its worth a shot.

well, we all know about the switch assembly, so, I am assuming when he release the trigger, the back part of the switch assembly still touching, even he puts it on safe, the switch is still connected, therefore, he have to open it, or take to Evike, or bring it to me cuz I done rewiring to my gun.

Just give the electrical tape a shot first, my CA m4 did the exact same thing (plug battery in, goes wild on auto, flipping in safe does nothing) , and that cured it. It only requires the removal of 2 screws.

You were just lucky.

There's no way there can be any short-circuit through the grip of an Armalite. It's plastic. ;)

It was contacting the metal "heatsink" whatchamacall it though. (is that only metal on CAs?) But you are probably right.

I wonder how it corrected itself if that was not the case, as doing that stopped the problem that was going on for 3 weeks before.

It was contacting the metal "heatsink" whatchamacall it though. (is that only metal on CAs?)  But you are probably right. 

Yeah, but that's not connected to anything.

The only way you could get a short circuit into the heel plate would be from one of the motor terminals.

Now, if the electricity is coming from one motor terminal then the only place it can go to is the other motor terminal.

This would cause a dead short across the motor. It'd DEFINATELY stop it turning and blow the fuse in a matter of seconds.

For a "short circuit" to cause the gun to keep firing the wiring somewhere near the battery would have to be touching the metal shell. It'd have to be at the battery to bypass the selector plate and the trigger and it'd have to transmit the electricity to the motor contact.

As I said, the only physical contact to the motor terminal would be via the heel-plate and through the grip which, as I said, is plastic.

It's possible that the short could be the wire touching the metal gearbox. That'd allow electricity to travel through the gearbox, and gears, into the motor housing.

I must admit, I've never checked to see if the motor housing is connected, electrically, to the armature. I doubt it is though. Even if this was what happened then covering the terminals in electrical tape wouldn't solve the problem.

TBH, I really can't see how this happens. Irrespective of what the trigger contacts are doing, when you move the selector switch to safe the selector plate should be disconnecting the supply from the battery.

Unless, of course, somebody's soldered a link across the contacts.

Archived