So, you're buying a Star SA80?

Hissing_Sid

Not a trick question... just wondering is all.

If you're buying (or receiving one for christmas) one, is it in place of some other airsoft purchase?

I mean, if the Star SA80 wasn't out, would you be getting an LR300, CA105 or some other new gun?

Alternatively, if not another airsoft item then would it be in place of another chrimbo present?

Are you getting one instead of a PSP, Xbox 360 or whatever else?

Finally, is it a one-off purchase?

Are you buying it just because it's an SA80 and you've always wanted one goddamit?!

OTOH, if you're buying one as a present for somebody else, same rules apply. Are you buying it in preference to another airsoft gun, in preference to another product of just cos you KNOW the jammy bugger would love one?

I'm just interested to see how much business the SA80 is actually drumming up and how much of it would have gone on airsoft anyway. You get the idea.

I had a wonder about whether to get one the other day, the answer...no. If the price was lower then i would re-think it. But in all fairness i don't think they are anything special, so why the price? You don't get a SUSAT with it.

I would rather stick with another rifle personally, heck its not like i never see the damn thing :P

It seems a really popular choice from whats been bantered about. I know a fair few people have been waiting an age to get their mitts on one.

And yes i've been off work all week hence why im on :D

well...

i pre ordered an L85A2 Rifle about a week ago and it arrived yesterday, i can only say that im am very very VERY impressed with this rifle.

Its build quality is absolutly fantastic, and it feels really solid, no creeks or rattles, by far the best AEG ive ever seen and owned.

The price i thought was a little high, but its worth every penny (you get what you pay for) and you certainly get alot with this new rifle, its the dogs danglies and i for one am very impressed with Star.

:)

I was definitely going to get one and I still have the money sat in my account for one, but at the moment I don't think its worth the price tag. Unless a seriously good review changes my mind I'll be going for a Star 249 Para.

And my reasons for wanting to spend this amount of cash is simply down to this being what I view as my last gun before the bill comes into force. Or last but one anyway... that UTG MP5 is tempting me :D

I was very tempted to get one also but the price completely put me off as i can make many more purchases for that price so why get that 1 last gun, the SA80 for that price before the VCRB when you can get shed loads of others for the same amount.

UTG MP5 tempted me for its price and i bought it ;)

ahh the star SA80 for when you absolutely, positively need to blow every motherf**king penny in your wallet :)

ive ordered one as a chrimbo pressie for a non airsofter If it had been for myself would have left it till Jan. Will be buying a few more items before the ban and depending on how it goes in the touchy feely tests one of them might be on the list

That said Im blessed with a wallet substantially bigger than my bills otherwise it'd be well down the list - from a value for money post-Bill point of view if i was down to my last 500 quid id lay it out on two identical M4s (twice the shelf life and prospect of using one to rob for spares to keep the other going)

stevie

If the price comes down and i can get the money together illl hopefully get an L86A2 just because ive allways wanted one. (see my "lets make an AEG out of toothpicks" style threads in project discussion for reference...)

As AEGs i must say they don't look great. As a collector value replica with an OMG factor theyre worth quite a bit.

Too bleed'in right I'm buying one!

I'm British and have been dying to get an SA80 be it an A1 or A2 for ages now!

After Simon's review of the Accademy version, I have been sitting here disappointed by the lack of British Army weapons in Airsoft.

I then found out about the SA80 Works gun! I was so happy I started to save up for that, even though it was USD 2000.00 initially and then went down to USD 1600.00 only to have my hopes dashed by having no stock!

STAR's coudlnt have come at a better time, simply put, best quality build ie steel and a decent 4X SUSAT to make it complete.

OK, it is expensive, I'll take it on the chin on that point, but I simply couldnt give a monkeys butt......besides some people on here pay a smal fortune for their pistols yet I here nobody complain about the price of those....

'Enuff said!

ok the chrimbo one is here and Id have to say Im sold in terms of external metalwork quality (its like star forgot to tell the guy designing it that airsoft dont actually need to be made of steel)

the metal itself is a decent gauge and has really good rigidity (not just some hideous tin plate thats easily distorted, or springy if pressed) In some respects if internals are fine post ban Id even consider one of these versus the two M4s scenario now

I'm one of those folks who finds price paid fades pretty soon after its out my pocket anyways, but Im sure they'll have plenty of scope to lower the price once the tooling costs have been abosrbed by x number of units. Pressed steel is always going to have an initial startup cost associated with it versus alloy casting or plastic moulding especially when you're already geared up for the others.

wether you like the SA80 as a design (or Stars current price) I do feel they need to be congratulated for thinking outside the box a little on this one (in terms of model chosen and lack of compromise on method of construction)

stevie

Did any of you read Sid's question? ;) snorkelman and jojo have at least.

No offence fella's but this hasn't gone terribly well, has it? :(

As I said, if you ARE buying one then I am interested to hear one of the following reasons:

1) I was gonna buy a new airsoft gun and this seemed like the best idea.

2) I was gonna buy something and this seemed like a better idea than an XBox 360, PSP, mountain-bike or whatever else.

3)I had no plans to spend £400 but I HAD to buy an SA80!!!

And, to the other 95% of people who've posted in this thread, is there some subliminal message which is forcing you to post spam? <_<

I'm waiting for the L86A2 (That's the LSW to you at the back). It'll be my final 'hurrah' before the VCR Bill comes into force. I've got the HFC 'shorty' and the Academy L85A1. Who cares about the price tag? Once the Bill comes into force, it's game over, so I'm blowing my money on something worth having.

Well, i will definately not be getting an SA80 at that price, i like the SA80 but i just wouldnt pay that much for one.

I'm getting an Xbox 360 for christmas along with a few games and iv'e treated myself to a marui tac master wich i had to have as i havent has a new airsoft gun in 3 months, i'm also going to be getting some more blackhawk gear soon and some dpm bdu's.

edit: I also plan a mass order from unco before the ban comes into place.

As I said, if you ARE buying one then I am interested to hear one of the following reasons:

1) I was gonna buy a new airsoft gun and this seemed like the best idea.

I was going to buy SA80 workshops version but none in stock. So I wasn’t really prepared to buy another gun unless something cool came out......and did! No contest....simply a must purchase...even before you consider the VCR bill

2) I was gonna buy something and this seemed like a better idea than an XBox 360, PSP, mountain-bike or whatever else.

Nope, money was strictly aside for this type of purchase. Besides I'm not going to buy a an XB360 also known as XB1.5 with freezing and crashing problems and definitely not a PSP with only 4-6hrs gaming which hardly portable gaming in my books and wasn’t an XMAS present anyway.

3)I had no plans to spend £400 but I HAD to buy an SA80!!!

See answer to question 1....I really wanted an SA80.....M16/M4's and Mp5's are great....but nothing really beats an L85A1/2 as a true British airsoft gun. Full Stop.

I have to say Ad, you did have quite the bee in your bonnet about the L85 :) If you hadn't have got one, I think I would have had to buy one for you :P

Now you say! I should have continued my ranting and got a free one! Just to shut me gob!

I am passionate about our British Army and Military Forces and are very proud of any such squaddies who frequent the boards.

We are still considered THE best military in the world today and as such why would I want to skirmish in DPM with anythign but a British Army weapon such as the L85?

There's nothing wrong with M16/M4's...I have one myself.....but....you know.....it just doesnt feel right.......you know what I mean guys.....

Archived