BBC Radio Oxford - TODAY 4pm!

Maple-Leaf

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

E-mailed! I'll paste it in here - unfortunatley, I wa typing like a loon to get it sent ASAP, so I may have repeated a few things... But, I've had no time at all to check it through. I've only just realised I forgot to put my name on it! D'oh!

anywhoo - the e-mail!

Afternoon, Bill! I'm currently listening to the show on my PC, and I was particularly interested by the comments on airsoft.

I'm an airsofter myself, and am proud to be part of such a great sport - unfortunatley for all us 'softers, though, the government is trying to push through a brand new bill that'll effectivley destroy our beautifull sport.

The Violent crime reduction bill (VCRB) has many good points - including attempting to crack down on crime with replica firearms, such as those used in pur sport. However, the government is effectivley using a nuclear warhead to crack a small peanut. The crimes commited (that the government are trying to carck down on) are commited with cheap replicas, often bought at market stalls for as little as a pound. They are crude replicas, often only just looking like a real gun. Proper airsoft replicas often cost much more - the cheapest High-quality replicas that are used in skirmishes retail at around seventy pounds each.

It is true that people are abusing replica firearms and the problem needs to be dealt with. However, the VCRB will ban the sale, purchase, import and manufacture of ALL replica firearms (with a few exceptions - EG, Lightguns for computer games). As our sport relies on the replicas being realistic, this WILL kill off our sport - no new equipment means no new players. No new players means the sport withers and dies.

While I don't have the time to go into more detail I strongly urge you and all of your listeners to visit the official website dedicated to saving airsoft - the adress is http://www.saveairsoft.org - Well worth a visit even to find out why we play this sport ^_^

Great show, by the way :-D Don't get much of a chance to listen, seeing as I live in teh south west!

Hopefully most of that was accurate...

EDIT - Well, at least I got the saveairsoft URL right :)

As another airsofter, i am also worried about the governments proposed "violent crime reduction" bill. The bill will ruin the sport of airsoft in this country. If we can not buy new replicas, new members cannot be brought into the sport, effectively killing it. The replicas are realistic so that they appeal to responsible collectors, if they are made flourescent or shaped like "space blasters" they will have no appeal whatsoever.

There are 20,000+ airsofters in this country. The sport is played in a responisble, legitimate way, at organised sites across the county, much like paintball. All safety precautions- such as eye protection are put in place to make sure that the pastime is played as safely as possible.

The sport wishes to distance itself from the amount of antisocial behaviour crimes involving replica weapons. These are usually replicas cheap in price and quality, which would not be used in the sport. Airsofters are suffering from the stupid acts of these irresponsible individuals.

What does Lawrence feel would be a good alternative to a ban on import/sale/manufacture of replicas in the UK?

thank you

They're reading the e-mails! YESS!!!

Only three, though! Well, hopefully mine'll have gotten some attention :D

Oops. I just realised - I didn't actualy ask a question! GAH! :o

^_^ I am well chuffed.

The VCRB may not have been bought up...

Damn my spelling errors, though! Damn them!

EDIT - I should have used the hotmail spell checker.... Why am I so impatient?

Also, the broadcast turned to daelek mode for a minute :unsure:

They left airsoft again, and have gone on to more stuff. Probably going to go back when they get a few more e-mails.

EDIT - all contact details are on the first page of the thread.

Am I the only one who read the entire thread?

Archived