Classic Army CA36C

w0t am b3stest r3view??!1111

Arnie's CA36C review!

Amazing stuff. No doubt I could have done something more worthwhile with my life than reading a 7-page review of some stupid toy gun, but that was superb.

The best, and certainly the most detailed (!) airsoft review I've ever seen.

I'm not into the legal specifics, but as far as I understand it it's almost impossible to bring legal action against Japanese firms trading inside Japan making replica firearms. I'm sure someone with better inside knowledge can fill folsk in as to the specifics. Perhaps international copyright laws don't apply inside Japan?

I'm not into the legal specifics, but as far as I understand it it's almost impossible to bring legal action against Japanese firms trading inside Japan making replica firearms. I'm sure someone  with better inside knowledge can fill folsk in as to the specifics. Perhaps international copyright laws don't apply inside Japan?

But what about all the distributors who export TM guns to other countries?

Oh well, :P sorry for getting off the topic here. I guess I'm grateful that TM can still make guns with proper trademarks. :)

Nice review love how its organized

But i got a couple questions

1) Do you happen to know when the final release might be (estimate unless you don't have a clue.)

2) When you checked the internals did it have metal bushings (Never owned a CA gun but this might be my first).

Reinforced gears, better piston set, 7mm metal bushings. All much better than the stock TM equivalent parts.

TM bushings are nylon (plastic), TM gears are not as good, and TM piston and spring set are perm. fitted together these days.

Reinforced piston:

http://www.classicarmy.com/product-popup.jsp?productid=285

Renforced piston head:

http://www.classicarmy.com/product-popup.jsp?productid=286

Reinforced gear set:

http://www.classicarmy.com/product-popup.jsp?productid=75

Basically all those parts are stronger than the TM equivalent.

Actually I have some stock TM internal parts kicking around, so I can do a comparison shot of them tomorrow for the review. ;)

I'm not into the legal specifics, but as far as I understand it it's almost impossible to bring legal action against Japanese firms trading inside Japan making replica firearms. I'm sure someone  with better inside knowledge can fill folsk in as to the specifics. Perhaps international copyright laws don't apply inside Japan?

Arnie, you've actually gotten some info mixed up and are spreading some misleading information relating to trademark practices by Japanese airsoft manufacturers. Japan does recognize international copyright laws and Japanese companies (incluing Marui and others) DO abide by them.

Japanese airsoft manufacturers typically will obtain the license for any trademarks used on replica guns - HOWEVER, most Japanese airsoft manufacturers only license the trades for use in their domestic market (Japan and/or the Asian market). Because the trades are not licensed for use on products to be sold outside of the Japanese market, the trades must be obliterated prior to importation into countries not covered by the licensing agreement.

Thanks for clearing that up - have adjusted the review to reflect that. ;)

I know what you mean about the licensing, however I'm pretty certain that TM don't have approval from Glock for their pistol replicas for example, at least Glock certainly didn't think so last I heard. I'm pretty sure that H&K are in the same boat in that respect. Happy to be corrected on that as it's just an personal/informed opinion, I don't have anything in black and white, only a few conversations to people that are friends with Glock and HK and have close dealings.

I know what you mean about the licensing, however I'm pretty certain that TM don't have approval from Glock for their pistol replicas for example, at least Glock certainly didn't think so last I heard. I'm pretty sure that H&K are in the same boat in that respect. Happy to be corrected on that as it's just an personal/informed opinion, I don't have anything in black and white, only a few conversations to people that are friends with Glock and HK and have close dealings.

Actually, part of Glock's complaint is that not only their logos but also their name, (and even their pattented trigger safety), are protected by trademark law. Bear in mind, trademark protections aren't limited to actual trademarks, but can also be applied to names, logos, unique designs, and even phrases.

This is why many US airsoft dealers cannot call KSC "G19" replicas "Glocks" nor can US dealers call an "AR Carbine" AEG an "M4" (since that's a protected name under Colt's registered trademarks). Once again, these names and trademarks HAVE been licensed for use in the Japanese market, but once the products leave Japan most of the trademark agreements make no provision for the use of those trademarked names in other countries.

There are rumors of certain gun companies trying to prevent US sales of airsoft replicas based on their designs through the use of US trademark law protecting "trade dress" (external similarities in appearance). However, in order to be successful, such suits would require that the gun companies show that their design is so unique, and the infringement is so serious, that buyers are confused about what they are purchasing. Due to the lack of regulation on airsoft (unlike real firearms) and the fact that they do not provide the same function as a real weapon, to be successful, I think these suits would require a very lax interpretation of US trademark law.

Bear in mind, this is all based on my less than perfect memory and my interpretation of US trademark law (not my strongest area - I prefer to stick to criminal law), combined with a few other sources from both the airsoft and real-steel communities I am involved in. Also, this is in no way the result of a thorough or professional legal analysis, but simply the results of a cursory investigation out of personal curiosity.

Guess you are a lawyer. :) I don't get what's the big deal with airsoft using real steel logos and designs. They are after all supposed to be a replica of the real steel. If I'm running a successful real steel company, I wouldn't mind. It's not like the airsoft would put a bad reputation on the real steel. It can only improve the popularity of the real steel. I guess unless the airsoft replica is so poorly built, but it wasn't the case in KSC's glocks (they were one of the most successful gbbs).

Really do you know if this is the prototype or a finished product?

I believe it's the finished product because other parts of the world already got the finished product (there's no reason for CA to send the US some more prototypes). Check your local airsoft store, or places like airsoftgi.com They are priced at $295 apiece.

Edited by Shao14
Guess you are a lawyer. :)

Not yet, but I'm working on it :P (2 years of law school down, 1 more year and the bar exam left to go).

And I agree, you would THINK that gun companies would see airsoft in the US as a benefit. Still, concerns about inferior products being associated with your name (like a lot of the Taiwanese ######) and the fact that US airsoft is largely marketed to juveniles (bad PR for gun companies in the US), I can see how they might be a bit troubled. Also, I know Glock is VERY serious about trademark and copyright protections - I still remember the huge copyright infringement suit they brought against S&W when S&W released the Sigma series.

Reinforced gears, better piston set, 7mm metal bushings. All much better than the stock TM equivalent parts.

TM bushings are nylon (plastic), TM gears are not as good, and TM piston and spring set are perm. fitted together these days.

Reinforced piston:

http://www.classicarmy.com/product-popup.jsp?productid=285

Renforced piston head:

http://www.classicarmy.com/product-popup.jsp?productid=286

Reinforced gear set:

http://www.classicarmy.com/product-popup.jsp?productid=75

Basically all those parts are stronger than the TM equivalent.

Actually I have some stock TM internal parts kicking around, so I can do a comparison shot of them tomorrow for the review. ;)

I guess what I'm looking for is proof. Any company can market their parts as "reinforced".

What makes the piston, piston head, and gear set better? Without life testing in direct comparison to the TM parts, I am unsure how a definitive statement such as that can be made. Especially when my experience with a "reinforced" CA steel gear set stripped in less than 1000 rounds in a brand new gun, whereas I have numerous TM stock gears in guns that lasted thousands upon thousands of rounds, with equivalent springs to the aforementioned CA AEG.

What makes the TM parts "not as good"? Visual inspection?

The only advantage I'm seeing thus far is 7mm metal bushings.