"winfixer.com"

TMC

Hey guys.

I keep getting this really annoying popup for "winfixer.com"... it happens on bleachportal and isohunt.com

I run Firefox but it slips by each time, and seems to be triggered when I click my mouse anywhere after a page has loaded.

Any help?

Edit your hosts file. Go to Start, run, paste in c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts.

(Replace "winnt" with "windows" if you're running XP instead of Win2k.)

Windows will say "Duh, what do I open this with?" Use Notepad. Add a new line with the following:

127.0.0.1   www.winfixer.com

Save and close. You will probably have to restart your browser before it takes full effect. What this does is map a domain (www.winfixer.com, in this case) to your machine's internal ip (localhost). So any script trying to access winfixer.com (or whatever else you enter) will be pointed to your local machine, find nothing, and then crash and burn.

Essentially, this disables access to whatever domain you please.

Winfixer is actually part of this Vundo virus that's going around. I had it a few weeks back and NOTHING would get rid of it. Webroot's Spy Sweeper was able to get it first try though and I highly reccomend that.

You only get a 14 day trial, but it got it one the first scan for me and then doing a follow up scan to make sure nothing's left. Then you're clean.

Very easy to use as well which was really helpful.

Archived