Well, Seeing as how popular this model is I have decided to take the time to do a review for you guys. This is my first one aswell, Muhhahha... Enjoy. Everything you need to know. :D

ssa502207fb.jpg

Now, this is what you will receive when you buy the rifle, Along with a olive case(not shown). A combi tool and loading rod. You will also notice the weight and superb finish on the rifle. There are some minor faults I will discuss with you later, but these are not known until examining the rifle closely and having experience no matter how small with the firearm.

ssa502252np.jpg

Now the markings on the handguard are correct and have a serial number, which adds to the realism.

ssa501983hb.jpg

Now, the gas system on the firearm is matt black, but on the STAR SA80A2 it is silver, this can be remedied by spraying them matt black but it is down to preference, I personally won't bother spraying them. The sling swivel is definatley made very well indeed, there is no wobble and it is solid as a rock with steel threading which makes dethreading a thing of the past.

ssa502048xa.jpg

On the firearm SA80, the handguard lacks a bottom sheet of aluminium, this is a small error and insignificant because the STAR SA80 will not overheat.

ssa502194vl.jpg

This picture illustrated just exactly how the battery will fit, the compartment is similar to that ot the TM G36, and so will fit only a small or custom battery. I recommend buying the custom bat for maximum performance. it is wider than the G36 handguards(not laylax custom).

ssa501998fz.jpg

The Rifle also has 3 positions on the selector lever, the switch goes down in this order; Repetition(semi), Auto, and spring rest(very handy extending the life of the rifle). The switch is crisp on EVERY rifle, and I mean no wobble and no excess movement. Sweet. Now lets move on to looking at more cosmetics.

ssa502277gc.jpg

As you can see, excellent detail, but this picture also shows a clear fault. Look closely at the TMH locking pins, they are the wrong way round. This is not a problem because they can be turned around but will bulge out and not sit on the rifle properly which I personally don't recommend.

ssa502104ni.jpg

TMH pins removed and corrispond to their respective holes. The butt has also been removed, unscrewd by 2 large screws on the butt itself, like on the firearm.

ssa501896jw.jpg

When the cocking handle is pulled back, it goes only a fraction of the proper movement only exposing the hopup unit, that I supposed is the first con. This can be fixed by a permanent modification on the cocking mechanism, which I later performed successfully.

ssa501918pr.jpg

Now the cocking handle reaches beyond the begining of the dust cover, adding to realism.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ssa502051zl.jpg

The markings on the rifles magazine housing is correct, and are not out of place. (soz about pic quality)

ssa502021ie.jpg

Inside the magazine well, this rifle fits all magazines because I tried using my firearm mags aswell, A1/A2/G&G/TM/STAR/G&P magazines fit I expect all magazines will fit becuase my 5.56 mags fit but don't lock in because they're 5.56 and have round guides.

ssa501854hd.jpg

The rifle from the rear on right side, detail is one again fantastic, better than any academy ######.

ssa502188bf.jpg

Now moving on to stripping the rifle, although not the exact procedure it still works. the top half of the rifle is basically there to cover the hop and mount a sight on, and susprizingly the rifle can be used without the top half.

ssa502082zg.jpg

This is what the rifle will look like when installing the battery, the barrel is a 2 peice solid F*** construction. The material truly is steel.

ssa502121gv.jpg

The inner buttplate is still on, an is ONLY removed by the rear TMH locking pin, which I will tell ya now, tis stiff as trying to get a rusty nail into a 1mm smaller hole, what you will need to remove this is a scre driver or the combi tool. First push the pin out as far as possible from the right side fo the rifle, then raise it with a flat end screw driver(this may scratch your rifle but is the only way with out plairs).

ssa502136qe.jpg

ssa502154ad.jpg

This is the quick spring change mechanism, the way to change the spring is to compress the end in, turn clockwise 45 degrees and retract the spring guide, the spring may need shimmying out(crawling).

ssa502144dd.jpgThen replace the spring with a power level of your choice stock is 400fps, downgrade required to skirmish and sell. replace the spring guide and your done, muhhahah. The rifle also has one hell of a ROF, even on the stock 400fps spring, as fast as a TM M4, on 330 fps the ROF is that of... I dunno, it is fast with one squeeze you will get a 4-5 round burst. The sound the gearbox makes is very noisless, and is quite quite because most of the mechanical sound is absorbed by the steel frame. If fires like a charm, the mag feeds very well, the gearbox is upgraded from stock and is simply excellent in comparision to any airsoft weapon.

Edited by American GI

Now for the finishing touches to the rifle, personally I think the rifle MUST have a SUSAT sight. It simply feels wrong without it.

ssa501872ec.jpg

ssa502078td.jpgWhen applying the magazine you will notice it has some fantastic glossy paint similar to what of the steel 5.56 SA80 A2 mags, this mag has RG on the bottom which is erronous because RG is a bag magazine maker, there were several improvements on the magazines infact they were completely replaced with steel and not aluminium, these mags I believe as steel aswell judging from the weight.

ssa501825jt.jpg

ssa501840wy.jpg

Summary, theres not much more to say about the rifle apart from, it can stand by itself via rifle butt. The rifle shoots very nicely, and very quietly, the ROF is superb, the gearbox is fantastically designed, with a new and modern design, it is also fairly small and flat. the range is that on an upgraded M16A2(any manufacturer). The barrel is very long which gives very good accuracy. As for appearance and feel it feels like my issued SA80 the onyl downside is the issued bayonet does not fit, it does not lock onto the flashhider.

Edited by American GI

Gr i thought that you said that you didnt want one because you've used the real steel so much?

Little britain stylee:

GR: "Want that one."

LJ : "I thought that you said you weren't going to buy the STAR SA80A2 as you said its a horrible looking weapon which you've used to much allready as a realsteel?"

GR: "Yeah I know."

LJ: "Well lets put it back and use your nice M4 then. how about that?"

GR: "No i want that one."

LJ: "Ok......."

*ten minutes later."

GR: " Want my M4.."

:wub:

I'm tempted...

...so tempted...

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...topic=41336&hl=

Read this thread, it'll cool your ardour.

LJ - on the outside, it's lovely gun. Full metal, looks to be externally built like a tank, right weight. Yes, I've used it in realsteel and that has attractions and offputting nature of it's own, but as I said in the other thread, for £400 it should sit up and whistle dixie. It looks to me like there are some major flaws with the deign and execution of the replica - it's a *badgeress* to strip, QC aint great (stripped screw heads, anyone?) fire selectors dodgy, plus a couple of other things Hissing Sid has mentioned in IRC.

At £200, that sort of thing might be a pain in the *albatross*. At £400 it's unforgivable.

Muhhahha

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6NJ4BX53

Yahhahah, cocking action right there.

This is it when loading.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TA5DB89A

Havoc, Ghost this is going to change the opinions. hopefully. :D

Vidz

Edited by American GI

Thanks mate, I'm not really experienced enough with gearboxes but I can tell you all that it is very secure indeed, and has 2 threaded bolts either side of the lower half, which screw on and off to remove the gearbox. So far the gearbox is very promising, and STAR have done a wonderful Job of it it comes upgraded fully at stock level, it has all the reinforced steel gears and M140 spring(unless downgraded) the cylinder is plastic but seems to handle the piston very well with very minimal noise and if the rifle is further foamed it will become as quiet at Russian silent rifle cartridges :)

Procedure for stripping is a little long, and requires lots of maneuvering and a few extra screw drivers, the combi tool is used only for the sights. Can be used for stripping the weapon, but is nto very effective.

Operation, looks like Minis or custom bats are the only way to acheive optimum performance. The accuracy is fab, barrel is incredibly long, I this as long as an M16s. barrel is strong enough to withstand heavy human force ie. Basically standing and bending the barrel(NOT POSSIBLE) :D . The majority of this weapon is excellent, Build, Feel, Internals, so far the plastic gearbow is about 6-7mm thick and absorbs lotd of the mechanical sound, flashhider can be unscrewed like an M4's and accessory added on like a silencer(Damn you bastardizing the 80) <_<. I recommend getting this rifle if you looking for mostly 1 gun to keep you going for all environments, all playing styles and all situations which happen while playing airsoft. I simply love it, it is above my expectations by far, the £399 price is very reasonable considering the rifle is STEEL, you get a very strong case with it. Finally the internals are fabulous so far, the SUSAT completed the image becuase I find the rifle to light without it. The rumours of it being useless are false, I use a full facemask(mesh) from which I can get a clear and wide image with. If using glasses you will have no problems, the iron sights are ajustable almost like the 5.56 combat battle sights, the combi tools there for it but it take long, lol. Everything on there rifle is steel, Damnit everyone order one now! :P disappointment will not exist.