Star L85

Hissing_Sid

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For £400 it should sit up and whistle dixie. It looks to me like there are some major flaws with the deign and execution of the replica - it's a *badgeress* to strip, QC aint great (stripped screw heads, anyone?) fire selectors dodgy, plus a couple of other things Hissing Sid has mentioned in IRC.

At £200, that sort of thing might be a pain in the *albatross*. At £400 it's unforgivable.

YOU SAID IT SISTA'!!! ...erm...i mean brother... yeh thats better...(mumble)

it sounds goood at first impressins, and true, there very important, but if thats all its got going for it, theres really no point, and at 400squid, it really is'nt worth the cash...

i do want one, but altogether to get this thing working in the long term, it looks like a £550 job form scratch...

power, coolness, rarity, free case, able to survive a twenty stone scottsman falling on it, coolness. in fact the only negatives are the fire selector and the stripping. the rest is all just lack of faith

As i said earlier, if you think its "coolness" is worth £400 don't let us stop you buying one. If we don't see any positives with the gun, then we obviously can't focus on them; thus we can leave you to focus on them if you like.

I can count at least 5 external problem's with it.

All of these could have been sorted by just talking to someone familier with the rifle.

The fire selector braking is also not something that I would want to happen as they are a pain to fix.

The bolt not going all way back is just being plain tacky.

Also the stripping system to me jusy seems so horrid and wrong.

power, coolness, rarity, free case, able to survive a twenty stone scottsman falling on it, coolness. in fact the only negatives are the fire selector and the stripping. the rest is all just lack of faith

SSSSSLLLLLLAAAAAAAPPPPPP!!!!! ( :P )

at 400 pounds manWAKE UPPPPP!

its not 1 joule, therefore you can do much better with a ca gun,

really its not that rare, the reason noone has it is cos' its new AND £400 POUNDS!

youd pay £400 pounds for a case?

ok ill give you the scotsman bit...*grumble*(but so can CAM15A4's)

yes there cool, as are all guns,

problems...yes correct, all the internals are the equivilent of mash potatoes...

but 400 quid mate, ask yourself is it really worth it,

and dont just say were still not looking at the best features, i just did, im better impressed by dull grey caes...

Yes, I'm focussing on the negative. When I read the review of the outer shell, I liked it. I wanted one. Its looks great, and the externals are obviously going to be built like a tank.

If they'd carried it through on the internals, then I'd have bought it regardless of the price tag.

The facts are that they didn't.

Good points:

Full metal, proper steel construction.

Its an SA80 - the only one on the market.

Takes M16 mags = interchangability in the field with the armalite hordes.

Powerful (too powerful in some cases)

Seems to have a good 'miles per gallon' in terms of battery life.

Quick change spring

Bad points.

Too expensive

Fire selector and forward assist made out of pot metal = likely to break

Metal shims in plastic gearbox = china syndrome in case of overheating.

Held together with a million screws = *badgeress* to strip.

Trigger is unresponsive.

Plastic gearbox, plastic cylinder, plastic piston. :rolleyes:

Bolt doesn't come all the way back and is badly thought out in terms of attachment.

Missed anything?

the price will go down after the holidays methinks. plus i cant buy one. i have enough guns as it is.

its the only decent l85 on the market, you gotta admit.

.x.X.Krystal.X.x.

just goes to show the range they have.,..

tut...tut...

well you gota give the guy (or gal of course) a clap an a cookie, he did just attempt to take on a large group of people WITHOUT even the gun itself IMPRESSIVE i have to say :P:D

its the only decent l85 on the market, you gotta admit.

.x.X.Krystal.X.x.

I would disagree with you, as the amount of negative points people are making about it coupled with the price tag mean I would say that it really isn't decent, unless you really really like the look of it.

If you consider the coolness of the L85

Which is based on opinion, so it can only be a plus point for certain people. Of course, if you want to buy one then you'll obviously think that it looks cool, as if you share my opinion that it's an ugly ###### then you wouldn't want to buy one.

A few questions that I wouldn't mind having answered:

Is it the same gearbox as their M249?

No.

It's definately from the same drawing board and same parts-bin but it is NOT the same.

Iron sites, Any good?

Pffft!

Yeah. I looked at em for about 1.37 seconds then took em off and tossed em in the box. Where, I suspect, most owners will leave them for the duration of their existence.

They're nothing special. They look like cast metal, same as any other AEG. They definately don't look CNC cut or anything. Rear adjustable for windage. Front for elevation. L shaped twin reticle - like an M4.

Over all machining, does it look like a monkey or a man did it?

It looks pretty decent but there's not enough innovation IMO. As I say, the number of tiny screws holding the internals together is something I haven't seen since I took my M60 to bits.

It's not desperately poor quality. Just nothing special, design-wise.

Can you really justify the price tag?

Easy. Nope.

I'll be honest. I would say that if you want one then you shouldn't let the price put you off but don't expect anything "special" for your money. It seems, so far, that all you're getting is a normal AEG that happens to look like an SA80, and is made of pressed steel rather than alloy.

I would reitterate, I AM impressed by how easily a chap 8.4v mini-pack would drive a 400fps spring.

I imagine that at 1J you'll never worry about what battery to use. Dunno about battery life yet though.

So Sid you recomending the ICS M4 over this in performance and quality?

Erm... kind of.

Judging by the level of performance, the SA80 might be better than the ICS M4 for the US market.

In practical terms, in UK market trim, there's no contest.

The ICS M4 field strips via the removal of one pin. You can then remove the inner barrel and swap the upper gearbox if you need to. It's all very conventional but just cleverly designed.

The SA80 is just another AEG. Sure, it's made of steel and it's got a plastic gearbox and it's got a huge price-tag but, in a skirmish, it's just like any other AEG and, if it goes wrong, you'd better have a decent tool-box and a nice flat area to work on it.

I'd just like to say that in use this gun DOES measure up to expectations. It's a GREAT gun to shoot. The SUSAT is incredible. It's just that, for the money, you expect a bit more.

I mean, I would have bought a CA M15 if the ICS M4 had been "the same" as it. ICS gave owners a little something extra and it's enough to make you feel like you've got something special. There's nothing about the Star SA80 which makes you feel like that. It has no "depth".

It's kinda like buying a Cyma AEG TBH. When you first get it you think "Wow!" but then, as you play with it, you realise that none of the buttons and knobs and catches do anything. It's all for show. The SA80 is kinda like that.

Even if they'd made it so that the hold-open catch DID actually hold the fake bolt open while you adjust the hop-up it'd make you feel like it was a bit special.

Don't get me wrong, with the VCRB coming up and the availability of external parts looking dubious then the SA80 might be a smart buy.

It's on my shopping list, for sure, but right at the bottom. ;)

A small list of faults.....

7mm to short.

Silver gas parts instead of Black.

Mag bottoms are wrong.

Bolt does not lock back.

Does not fit bayonet, something must be wrong.

Silver rail, should be very dark gray.

TMH locking pins are the wrong way around.

Strips badly.

Missing aluminium plate in bottom of the foregrip.

Inside of handle compartment is incorrect.

Most of those could be fixed by a quick google search.

Archived