Star L85

Hissing_Sid

I agree with the 'stop focusing on the negative' sentiment.

Ok.

It's made of steel.

It looks like an SA80.

It shoots BBs.

At the moment, I'm just poking and prodding at the gun. When I'm done I will write it all up and put forward strengths and weaknesses.

There's not much point in me posting to say "It's got a nice paint job" simply so that 5 or 6 other people can confirm that the paint-job is, indeed, nice.

It's far more straightforward if somebody who has one with a cr@p paint-job posts to say so.

There's no alternative really, either.

It'd take forever to form a consensus about an item to focus on positive aspects. You need to highlight problems so that it can be established if they are unique or if they are recurring faults.

Beyond that, I'd say that talking about faults demonstrates an optimistic POV rather than a pessimistic one.

If I say "The only thing that bugs me about this car is that I don't like the clock" then the implication is that the clock is the only feature which is less than acceptable.

OTOH, if I say "Oh well, it could be worse. At least it's not raining" then the implication is that EVERYTHING is a total cluster-f**k and the only highlight is that the weather is OK.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You better let me play with it  <_<

I bet you tell him that all the time...*cough*

Sid, I believe Doc was being sarcastic. ;)

Personally, if I was planning on buying one (which I'm not) I'd want people to nitpick a gun I was going to spend that much $$$ on. If the negative points are factual, I can weigh each negative vs. the positives myself, as some have pointed out. More information is better, IMHO.

I know this is uber-pessimistic but if something overheats then the heat will be transmitted to the bushes without damaging them. The bushes will heat up the gearbox shell and it'll melt cos it's plastic.

I dont think this can happen, i'll try to explain why.. As long as there isnt any friction in the bushings, they wont heat up. Yes energy is tranferred through the gears and pressure exerted on the bushings but they are there to spin therefore excessive friction (and therefore heat) is unlikely. if a gear siezes or something comes out of alignment or for some reason the piston cannot move one of a few things can happen. 1) A piston strips teeth and the tappet/nozzle keeps working as normal: resulting in no compression and insanely fast cycling. (nothing will come out the barrel though) Will not hurt the gun if you dont keep firing (which isnt likely since nothign is coming out. 2) Gears strip teeth and jam: resulting in locked motor (motor will over heat and burn up if you dont stop putting juice through it, or more likely your fuze will pop) 3) Another part breaks resulting in locked gears: Same effect as above. 4) motor head separates and spins freely: no effect on gearbox components at all. Motor spins too fast and coudl burn out if you keep firing it.

Those seem to be the most common problems noone of which would cause any heat on the bushings. Normal fire will never heat up the bushings or any gearbox part hot enough to melt plastic, the only possibly part that dcould melt plastic is the motor and even then it'd have to be hot as hell. (unlikely unless you are abusing your gun)

long story short: there is basically zero chance of your plastic gearbox "melting" because of the bushings.

better the probs are out in the open than buried away inside only to apear a few months down the line

Getting fire selector mech remade shouldnt be an issue I'll look into it over the holidays :)

Id say the killer issue is the lack of thought they've put into basic strip of the weapon

Now I can (just about) accept a need for a bundle of screws if they want unskilled workers to assemble it from pressed steel shell (unlike an alloy or plastic external anything going in is devoid of an integral mounting point formed as part of the casting)

But if you are going to opt for that method of assembly then good practice dictates you make damn sure the amount of those screw that need removed on basic strip are kept to a minimum, whereas in this case by sounds of it a basic strip just to reach inner barrel and hopup of the SA80 isnt far off a full strip into its basic sub assemblies

on a general rifle the approach theyve taken doesnt make any real sense at all - its unneccesarily over complicated (I cant help wondering if the LSW was the starting point and it morphed into covering the rifle and carbine from that)

in some respects its probably best it is 400 bangers - if that pushes public perception of it out of the realms of being a straight alternative to ICS M4 /CA M15 then thats doing folks a favour

will it stop me buying one for personal use? erm no lol

having held it, stroked it, felt its steely metal goodness :bounce: and put a mag or two thru it I must admit started missing it already, and as the carbine is earmarked as a chrimbo pressie I <cough> ahem ordered the rifle this morning :headbutt:

stevie

Just got lent one to have a look at.

First impression is that it's very, very impressive. The gun itself is very well made and heavy as hell.

The SUSAT is an absolute work of art. It weighs about the same as a decent GBB!

The gun has been sent to me without the 1J modification and, even shooting at 405fps, it EASILY cycles using an 8.4v mini pack. I've read that the gun won't work with 8.4v batteries but it's nonsense. It is very, very smooth. So smooth, in fact, that I would have sworn it wasn't shooting at 405fps - until I chrono'd it.

And now for a bit of bad news...

Despite being one of the sexiest bits of airsoft kit around (truly, truly, stunning), the SUSAT is almost useless for airsoft.

There's no eye relief on the scope. You need to jam your eye right up to the scope to see a clear, full, sight picture. If you're wearing something like Bolle Siliums you can just about use it, like looking through a keyhole, but if you're wearing goggles or a mask then forget about using the SUSAT.

More news when I have it.

I have a real Susat and it has a little bit keyhole problem. I cant use it well when I wearing glasses.

post-2784-1134448486_thumb.jpg

Can I make a fair point as I have a STAR L85A2 now complete with SUSAT?

Although there are many of us that have waited for a decent SA80, we do have one although most people have lost what teh meaning of decent is.

Decent for me, is above average and this gun certainly is above average in every category.

The SUSAT although does have problems as Simon has pointed out, it does work very well and more imprtantly looks the biz on the gun! Beautuful in fact!

For most British Army squaddies on here that have had the pleasure of actually "playing" with a real SA80, it must be slightly disapointing that certain innacurracies are still there and I agree some of them are a shame, BUT we are talking about an Airsoft weapon not a real firearm so some of those can be taken on the chin.

Some people obviously want realism and the minutest details of the real gun emulated here, but some of which I find are just being picky and go back to my point of Army boys knowing what these are.

As a whole, the STAR SA80 L86A2 is a fine and decent Airsoft weapon that I highly recommend to any SA80 fan out there that wishes to purchase their final gun before the VCR bill finally kills off the sales of guns.

Yep the gun aint cheap, yep some niggles on accuracy of detailing, but really, isnt it quite refreshing to see a different gun for sale? and reasonbly good quality?

All I know is that I love mine. The only thing that would sway me to sell, would be that another manufacturer make the SA80 L85A2 in STEEL and better STAR's version.

But therein lies the problem: it's good enough to appeal to SA80 fans, but not good enough to justify the price to objective buyers. If I were looking to buy a bullpup AEG, the AUG and FAMAS would still be way ahead of this.

:zorro:

Sledgey baby, I agree with you on the price and have said so on many occasions.

BUT, with the VCR bill approaching, and I have the "Pot Noodle Horn" for SA80's, this maybe my last chance to buy the gun I dearly want.

So do I wait for G&G's? Do I wait for potentially somone else to make a mass produced version thats metal and cheaper?

Yes I did jump the gun (pun intended) and bought STAR's....ony time will tell if I made the right decision to buy now.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising your decision. We all have a gun that we'll buy pretty much no matter what. *Looks at SAA* I'm mainly trying to explain to the "OMFG!!! u guys are so mean, this thing rox!!!" brigade why it's not the ultimate AEG, and why a lot of people won't buy it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the SA80 and find it money well spent. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising your decision. We all have a gun that we'll buy pretty much no matter what. *Looks at SAA* I'm mainly trying to explain to the "OMFG!!! u guys are so mean, this thing rox!!!" brigade why it's not the ultimate AEG, and why a lot of people won't buy it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the SA80 and find it money well spent. :)

Is it the ultimate AEG? No! Quite simply the Army brigade have many many valid points. Woudl I have liked these ironed out before production? Too 'effing right!

As you say, the ONLY reason why someone is going to buy STAR's SA80 is, like me, a complete SA80 nut that appreciates the gun for what it stands for.

Its a shame that teh VCR bill will force me not to replace this version with a better version SHOULD there be one further along the line.

Thats my only regret.

I don't like to deliberately insult people but the following is a text-book example of ignorant, blinkered, fan-boy nonsense:-

Can I make a fair point as I have a STAR L85A2 now complete with SUSAT?

Although there are many of us that have waited for a decent SA80, we do have one although most people have lost what teh meaning of decent is.

Decent for me, is above average and this gun certainly is above average in every category.

So, care to tell me how the Star SA80 is superior to something like A CA M15 or even a Marui gun?

Just because it's made of steel?

The SUSAT although does have problems as Simon has pointed out, it does work very well and more imprtantly looks the biz on the gun! Beautuful in fact!

Yes. It's wonderful. Shame the eye-relief vastly limits its usefulness in airsoft.

For most British Army squaddies on here that have had the pleasure of actually "playing" with a real SA80, it must be slightly disapointing that certain innacurracies are still there and I agree some of them are a shame, BUT we are talking about an Airsoft weapon not a real firearm so some of those can be taken on the chin.

Some people obviously want realism and the minutest details of the real gun emulated here, but some of which I find are just being picky and go back to my point of Army boys knowing what these are.

You've lost me here, completely.

Very few of the criticisms in this thread are directed at simple aesthetic differences between the airsoft gun and the real weapon. Pretty much ALL the criticisms simple highlight inadequacies and design faults in the gun as an airsoft weapon.

As a whole, the STAR SA80 L86A2 is a fine and decent Airsoft weapon that I highly recommend to any SA80 fan out there that wishes to purchase their final gun before the VCR bill finally kills off the sales of guns.

Why?

As far as I can see the ONLY reason to buy this gun is if you rabidly want an SA80 to the exclusion of all else but don't have the gumption to work on an Academy one.

Personally, I would take an upgraded, metal, Academy gun over this any day.

Yep the gun aint cheap, yep some niggles on accuracy of detailing, but really, isnt it quite refreshing to see a different gun for sale? and reasonbly good quality?

Again, why are you bouncing off the walls about this gun? The Academy SA80 has been around for years.

All I know is that I love mine. The only thing that would sway me to sell, would be that another manufacturer make the SA80 L85A2 in STEEL and better STAR's version.

Would price be a consideration?

I don't like to deliberately insult people but the following is a text-book example of ignorant, blinkered, fan-boy nonsense

I dont take offense at all. You see Sledge made a valid point, there will ALWAYS be gun that someone REALLY wants and when that gun becomes available they will want it.

Your review of the Academy was spot on, but as a standard off the shelf airsoft gun has lots of reasons why not to buy. Yes an upgraded version as yours is is great for an experienced airsofter. Me? I havent the time to do that nor the expertise.

I like to point and shoot. I give my guns when they need internals upgraded and such like to people that know what they are doing and talking about such as yourself.

Would price be a consideration?

As I said above, I was considering the SA80 Workshop version at USD 1600! So nope!

Yes, I have more money than brains!

Archived