I know these aren't strictly (well, not at all) airsoft. But many people have been interested, I have been asked a couple of times 'what am best lightsabre'. And certainly from the pictures I have seen they seemed popular at last years arniegeddon. So I was wandering if anybody would be interested in some reviews of them as I have 1 or 2 (or 9) floating around. So, just say if you are and I will write them up.

Note: they will probably stop selling them soon after christmas in the high street.

Edit: this seemed like the best place to post this thread.

Edited by Desolation mkII
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'you are'

i think thats a yes

i was too embarrassed to bring my old ones out again since the last time i did it in front of some neighbours i dont know and they all started laughing at me.

although ive since moved, if i bring some out again i want them to be 'impressive' to anyone. especially fit girls. in tight silver once-piece swimsuits. cameltoe. mmmmm. goodness...dribble...

Right, this is the second time I have written this review (the first time my computer crashed loosing a good half hpours work. So bare with me if there are some spelling mistakes.

Name: Obi Wan Kenobi electronic lightsabre

Color: blue

Length: Hilt - 12 inches, Blade - 28 inches, all together - 40 inches.

Features: Lights up, makes sounds. Flashes, vibrates and makes clashing noises on impact.

Cost: £20

Pros: Very sturdy. Loud. Quite battery friendly. Bright. Long.

Cons: Blade sticks when extended. Vibrating is too loud. Badly placed 'on' button

Well, I have been interested in lightsaabers for several years since i found a Darth Maul sabre at a jumble sale for £1. Since its demise my lightsabre collection (both official and unofficial) has increased substantially. I bought this lightsabre as soon as I saw it in my local Toymaster (during the run up the the release of Episode 3.

First impressions

When I took it out of the box and extended it my first impressions were "wow, this is sturdy", and indeed it is. The blade of this sabre is made of mould injected plastic and is very solid. It is leagues ahead of the brittle plastic that the 'laser swords' that you can find in local markets are made of. The blade is tinted blue.

The hilt is just as sturdy and is quite nicely constructed (however it does have three screw holes in it). The sabre is also quite long measuring in at almost exactly one meter.

I then inserted three AA batteries (not included) into the hilt and turned it on. This sabre is very loud. Much louder than other sabres that I own. It is also quite bright; this is because the light source is three LEDs rather than a normal bulb (like in the old sabres). I then hit it against the table to see what the impact effects were. On impact the sabre instantly began vibrating, flashing and making lightsabre impact noises. The noises however were somewhat drowned out by the sound of the vibration unit. However this does not really detract desired effect too much.

The sabre with the blad folded in as far as it will go

Img_1629.jpg

After use in duels

After use in many fights, from 1 on 1 duals to 8 man free for alls I can now safely say I know about this lightsabre’s capabilities. Note: these are never serious, they are just us mucking around. The lightsaber is still working fine with very little damage caused to it. The only damage there is is a few scratches on the hilt and some faint scratching to the blade. Neither of these affects performance at all. However a couple more minor problems have arisen. Firstly the blade tends to stick in the open position meaning that if you jab at someone with it, it doesn’t retract and can leave a bruise. The second is that the ‘on’ button on the hilt is quite badly placed so if you have big hands it is difficult to hold it with both. These however are not major problems.

There are several good things about fighting with this sabre; again I will mention its length it is at least an inch and a half longer than any other sabre I own (single bladed) and this can make a difference in duels. The second good thing is the way it flashes when it impacts on something. This is incredibly disorientating for your opponents if you are fighting in the pitch dark (the best time a sabre brawl can take place in m opinion) as all of a sudden your blade starts disappearing and reappearing. The third good thing is that it is quite conservative in its battery use and whilst the functions (Light, sound, vibrations) may fade in effectiveness they do not flicker or randomly short out, which is more than can be said for other sabres that I own. Another good point is that they are really quite safe. They are not havy so cannot cause severe wound. And as long as you play safe (no head or groin hits) you should remain injury free.

Note: sabre, blade extended is next to a VSR for size comparison.

Img_1630.jpg

In conclusion

This sabre is a fantastic buy and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a sturdy weapon that will last a long time (until Blair bans lightsabres as well…). It is utterly superior to any cheap rip off ‘light sword’ or ‘star sabre’ that you may find on the shelves out there. They certainly seem to impress people. Well, I had written a decent conclusion but I can’t remember what I originally wrote, so I will sum up. I gave this sabre an 8 because whilst it does have many good points there are the two or three little bad points. Also I have heard that if you jab the blade too hard into something (like trying to smack it shut on the floor) then it can short circuit the whole system, but I have never experienced anything like this and don’t recommend that you let this put you off buying one.

Hilt, close up

Img_1631.jpg

Great Review...But so far off-topic it's in another galaxy, far far away, surely? ^_^

I'm still somewhat confusd as to whether you've written this in all sincerity or as a mickey-take of the common preconception of all Arnies members being kids. As great as these overpriced toys are to prat about with at AG for a laugh, I think this is really taking things a little too seriously. What next, threads on WOT AM BEST LIGHTSABRE? :D

(It's the colour changing Anakin Skywalker one, by the way...)

Edited by Marlowe

Yea, it wasn't done entirely seriously. It was just in response to some people PMing me a while back when I posted some pics up somewhere asking whick one was the best. :D

Oh and if you think these are overpriced toys, you really need to start looking at toys more often. Some of the prices are absurd. (lego for example). Its shockingly expensive. Like £7 for two men, three bricks and a treasure chest. (guess whos been out chrismas shopping) :P

Edit: on the off topic note, I have seen things reviewed in here that have little or no relevance to airsoft at all. In the review database there is a review for Ipod headphones.

The best lightsabers are the £7-8 jobs. No sound, no lights, so what's so good? The blade fully retracts into the handle. With a quick mod to add a proper clip, these rock. You can carry them fully retracted, then draw and extend the blade with a flick of the wrist. Little shorter than the light up ones, but for me they are the superior tool.

:zorro:

I think we all remember poor Xaccer's FX Obi-Wan Sabre, after twenty mins of pratting around with several of us using the £20 jobs. Confirmed my belief that they're very pretty to look at, but sadly bloody useless for anything else. In fairness, I think the cheaper the implement, the better it is for that sort of thing. :)

Ah, fancy, new-fangled, technology.. when I were a lad (and all this were fields..)

Not that anyone will be interested but I shall type it anyway, I had a kind of rights of passage experience in the last couple of weeks (not unlike Luke at the pyre of Vader) when I burnt my childhood lightsabre... it was one of the crappy red, torch-like ones with the plastic tube (which was always a bit bent and had the half-a-ping-pong-ball-like top to it) It never worked very well, made no noises and glowed about as strongly as a boil or chilblain, but, it was a present from my late grandmother when I was about 7 or 8.. (she wasn't late then, she is now though) and I loved it...

The innards and contacts were corroded beyond belief from the leaks of ancient batteries and I noticed, as it burned, the whole thing gave off strange electric blue and livid green flames.. much more like a 'real' lightsabre than it had ever been in 'life.'

Then, high on the fumes, I went and robbed an off-licence and shot some passing nuns..

Well, no I didn't (actually I merely robbed some nuns and shot a passing off-licence) but thanks for letting me share this experience. It's been cathartic.

you reviewed a lightsabre, even if this is a mockery. you are a sad strange little man, and you have my pity.

.x.X.Krystal.X.x.

Gosh, that was a bit unnecasery. Bearing in mind we all dress up as soldiers and run around with toy guns, a pass time which many call sad or strange, is it really fair for us to criticise what other people do. In fact, why did you have to post at all. It was realy rather rude.

Right, at the request of another user (who will remain anonamous unless he wants to reveal himself.) Another review.

Name: Yoda electronic lightsaber.

Color: Green

Length: Hilt - 11 inches, Blade - 17 inches, all together – 28/29 inches.

Features: Lights up, makes sounds. Talks. Flashes, Talks and makes clashing noises on impact.

Cost: £20

Manufacturer: Hasbro

Pros: Very sturdy. Yoda talks to you. Better placed speakers

Cons: Not bright enough. Too short. Somewhat temperamental when batteries are low.

First Impressions

When taken out of the box, my first impressions were, how the fruitcage do you extend the blade. It took me several minutes to work out you have to flick your wrist to get the blade out. Again this sabre is made of mould injected plastic so is very sturdy. I would say that’s its small size makes it slightly sturdier than the other Hasbro sabers, and this sabre is very small. The hilt is 11 inches and the blade is 17 inches. This makes the entire sabre a foot shorter than the other Hasbro lightsabres. The blade is tinted green and the hilt looks just like Yoda’s in the films.

I then inserted the 2 D batteries and turned it on. The sabre made a powering up noise and the blade it up (more on that later). I was then greeted by Yoda’s voice saying ‘help you I can’ then if you do nothing ‘afraid are you’. The voice is not perfect as its quality is toned down by the nature of the sound system, however it is still I would say a decent feature. The light however is not really light enough; it is just a normal bulb not an LED. However this should be easily replaced with a krypton bulb. When the sabre hits something is makes clashing noises and the blade flashes and Yoda makes a comment such as ‘don’t think, feel, be at one with the force’ there are about 8 different comments that he make and the feature can be turned off.

lsy2.jpg

Use in duals.

To be honest I have not used it in too many duals, as I have not had it long. However, in the duals that I have used it in the short blade has been a significant disadvantage, and it really means that you have to move fast (I already have quite a short reach so this doesn’t help). However if you can deliver a fast amount of blows then you can put up an effective fight. Also I recently had the pleasure of dual wielding two of these (one was my cousins) and their shortness is an advantage here as it makes double attacks easier to coordinate.

At night their brightness is adequate. But I hope to increase this by adding a krypton bulb on Thursday. However, a problem I have noticed is that when the batteries start getting low it can get awfully unreliable and will short out after a few seconds of fighting. But as long as fresh batteries are kept at hand this problem can be averted. Two features redeam its failures slightly.

1) The fact that Yoda is constantly egging you on

2) the speaker is on the bottom of the sabre. This is an advantage because on the other Hasbro sabres the speakers were on the side and tended to get covered up and muffled if you used two hands to grip the sabre.

Again these sabres are quite safe if used sensibly.

lsy3.jpg

In conclusion

This sabre is not as good a buy as the other two Hasbro sabres that can be bought. This is almost completely because the blade is just too short. This does not make it unusable, just makes it harder to fight with. So overall I give this sabre a 6 out of 10 because whilst it is too short, it is still fun and the Yoda voice is rather amusing.

I think we all remember poor Xaccer's FX Obi-Wan Sabre, after twenty mins of pratting around with several of us using the £20 jobs. Confirmed my belief that they're very pretty to look at, but sadly bloody useless for anything else. In fairness, I think the cheaper the implement, the better it is for that sort of thing. :)

Click Me

Xaccers might like this, it even allows you to use a thicker walled polycarbonate blade. I got the stuff for my El saber here. FX sabers use a thinner wall poly C blade, they say you can duel with it, but you really can't. You will need at least 1/8 inch wall.

Edited by WeirdoTransvestite

I would just like to say to the people that have been grumbling about me and this thread. I am sorry if it has annoyed you. It was never meant to be really serious, but some of you seem to have taking a disliing to it, so... I am sorry. If a mod feals the need then please lock it. I do not want to cause trouble.

Thankyou for your time.

-Desolation