Wow, cheers mate. You certainly know your stuff. I am just today begining to build my custom sabre today, and am going have to get the blade and sound stuff from the US, as unfortunately there is no where in Blighty that sell the stuff needed.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a guy who is based out of France, who bases a lot of his stuff off of the work of Alex and a few of the rest of us. If you wanted to order from him because it's closer, I can refer you. But, I really would recommend buying from Alex. He's the only one with the new K2 luxeons (which have three times the lumens as the Luxeon Star IIIs). The K2 aren't even on the market yet until this summer, but the guys at lumileds game him several pre-runs to test.

Let me know if you need anything else. They shouldn't cost you too many quid if you source it right.

Oh and Vektor, tell Alex (the head of Ultrasabers) that Zion sent you. He may give you a price break if his kids have him in a good mood that day ;).

Hehe, sounds reasonable! ;) Thanks for the heads up. Now I´ve also found out that LEDs are "safe" to import here (earlier I was a bit concerned about our custom procedures...), so I might be placing an order soon. Altough, I also might wait for couple of months and see what nice FX hilts Master Replicas is about to launch this year...

Altough, I also might wait for couple of months and see what nice FX hilts Master Replicas is about to launch this year...

Hey Vektor, I know an insider at MR who works with the FXs. His boss (the MR chief --also a friend) has confirmed a list for their 2006 and early 2007 releases. I can't post it publically, but if you'd like it, PM me and it's yours.

And finaly

Name: Ultimate lightsabre kit

Color: Red, Blueish or Gold (when using provided filters.)

Length: Does not aply as length can vary.

Features: Lights up, makes sounds. Makes clashing noises on impact. Can be customised in many numbers of ways.

Cost: £30 (on special offer)

Pros: Hilt can be customised. 2 Blades. Can be double bladed*. Usual sturdy build. Can be very long.

Cons: Blade sticks when extended. Colour filters are rubish. Sound is not amazing.

The final Hasbro lightsabre I am reviewing is the appropriately named Ultimate Lightsabre Kit. This is basically a kit with which you can build your own lightsabre. It cost £30 and I got it for Christmas as my family didn’t know what else to get me.

Anyhow, on to the review.

First impressions

My first impression when I got it out of the box was ‘hmm, this looks interesting. Basicaly in the box you get a plain hilt onto which you slide the custom bits.

To build the sabre firstly open a small trap door and put the sound chrystal in (a choice of three) this determines the sabres sound) Then put the power up buttons, cosmetics, etc (there are about 7 different ones) onto the hilt. You then screw on an end cap (a choice of 2). Then you get the emitter (again a choice of 2), slide the blade into it ( a choice of 2, a red one and a clear one), if it is the clear blade put in a color filter then screw the light fitting into the emitter, put 2 C cell batteries into the hilt and then screw the emitter onto the hilt. There are about 40 odd different combinations.

I then inserted 2 C cell batteries (not included) into the hilt and turned it on. This sabre is quite loud. However the sound is not brilliant quality it is more distorted than the other sabres. It is about the same brightness as the Dooku sabre this is because the light source is a normal bulb rather than LEDs. I then tapped it against the table to see what the impact effects were. On impact the sabre did nothing, this is because this sabre is slightly less responsive than other sabres. Whereas the Dooku sabre will react to the slightest tap, this sabre requires a harder hit before it makes lightsabre impact noises. This does not matter in a fight as you are using sufficient force to set it of anyway. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

Due to the method with which you put the cosmetics on the hilt it can creak slightly when you are holding it, but this is hardly a major issue.

The blade on this sabre is longer than even the Obi Wan blade. However one of the ‘emitters’ can shorten this by about an inch.

Lastly, it is possible to create a double bladed sabre, however there is only one bulb so there is not much point unless you rig your own light-source up to it.

Another point to make is that the color filters for the clear blade are absolute turd, the red one works fine, but you have a red blade so what’s the point? The blue one barely works and the green one creates a kind of gold blade, which is cool, but it isn’t green. The filters cant be used two at a time as the filter out too much light. Fortunately for me I have access to a lot of theatre light filters so I currently have a purple blade B).

If anone has one of these kits and would like me to send them a working filter PM me.

The hilt of the sabre and accessories.

Img_1823.jpg

After use in duels

It would be hard to right a fighting review of this sabre as I have only fought with it in a couple of combinations. However I can tell you that it is very sturdy and the hilt variations mean you can build a very big and scary looking hilt. Perfect for a Sith player such as myself. It is also very big so has a natural advantage. As usual this has been through a few fights and there is minimal damage save a few minor scratches to the blade. Also once again the blades stick open so it is advised not to jab at people.

The full sabre (pictured next to the Anakin sabre for size comparison)

Img_1822.jpg

In conclusion

I conclude that this is probably not as good a buy as some of the other sabres (I strongly recommend the Obi Wan or Dooku sabres). But it is still a fun sabre to play with. Its uniqueness and size really make it stand out. Also the red blade provided with it is blood red rather than the normal red that the Dooku sabre is. At £40 normal price most people would probably be better off with just a normal sabre. (Check Ebay for regular decent deals). Oh and also on mine the red blade is at least 1.5 inches longer than the clear one.

The sabre compared with Anakin sabre and custom sabre.

Img_1826.jpg

This seller had them for cheap

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ACTION-FIGURE-IMP...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

If one of our American (or lucky British) brothers could review the Mace Windu one we will have reviewed the complete set.

Edited by Desolation mkII

Well, it's only been there like 3 minutes.

Erm if you could do an Ep 2/3 one that'd be good. Though I wasn't aware there was a difference. Though I vaguely remember something about the Ep 1 one being blue.

I realy want one of the mace windu ones, but I really cant be bothered paying another £21.50 quite yet. If any one reading this thread has an old one they would like to sell me then PM and we'll talk.

Thats an interesting site. Cheers for that. Seeing as you seem to be 'in the know' about these things do you know where I could find a decent picture of the force staffs that grievus' bodyguards use in episode 3 as I am hoping to have a go at building one.

Right I have another question then I will be ready to build.

How tough is EL wire, can it take a few knocks without breaking. This staff isn't really going to be for fighting so if you look at the picture below it is obvious that there is no blade on the staffs (I already knew this). So I was thinking that threading some purple or blue EL wire in and out of the approprate parts of the staff would make it look proper.

eu_bg.jpg

No. EL wire is Very fragile, the only reason it stands up in an EL saber is that it's soldered to the mono plug which is held in the blade by a set screw, and is encased in the polycarbonate tube. Or it is fastened to something that is not hit, like the hilt itself, buried in the grip, but still relatively protected. If you use blue/purple EL for the lightning, it may break.

I posted this in December. It applies to what you are tring to do.

Also the wire's connections don't break easy when the blade is put together When building the blade the El wire is very fragile. It is comprised of 3 wires, one large very easy to solder wire, and two thinner-than-the-human-hair wires that break easy. All three wires must be connected to the mono pug for the EL to light. Once the blade is put together the blade is extremely durable.

I had to cut, strip, and constantly resolder about 6 to 7 inches of wire before I got it right, Pain in the *albatross*.

Edited by WeirdoTransvestite