• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting reviews.

I could do with as much info as you can give about the sound effects.

Also, if you can take one to bits I'd appreciate a shot of the circuitry alongside something like a box of matches to give a sense of sale.

I'm in the process of building a lightsaber of my own.

Mrs Sid is getting me a Glaflex flashgun for christmas. After all, a Jedi should build his own lightsaber. ;)

I plan to build the circuitry out of a commercial saber into mine. If it's quiet I thought I'd also try to fit the guts out of a karaoke microphone into it as well and transmit the sounds back to a ghetto-blaster.

Lightsaber in your right hand, Ghetto-blaster on your left shoulder.

I tried to put sound from my old Luke ROTJ hasbro onto my EL, but it's too big, and I blew out the whole soundcard (they don't work on 12v). But that was made in 1995 ish, maybe it's smaller now.

Edited by WeirdoTransvestite

I think it's weird that people find this topic silly.... My buddies and I have been carrying lightsabers for night games for 2 years....and have slowly seen more people doing so at major events in the midwest. Why do we do it? Because we have never been to a night game that worked right. One that ran as written or planned. One that didn't end with people yelling at each other for close shots or people getting lost or hurt from stumbling around in the black. We do it to lighten the mood and to have fun. What a strange concept that is huh? Not that they've always been welcomed by other players, we do it purely for the geeky fanboy glee of claiming a "Lightsaber kill". I tell you....some people are just so stuffy when it comes to Airsoft. In the end, I could care less if people think I'm a geek or a weirdo for using a lightsaber at night games. If I pay $40+ dollars and travel 6 hours for an OP, I'll do as I please. That being said, if I know the organizers are striving for realism or actually want to try and run a night mission for the sake of the OP or scenario, I'll drop the lightsaber. If they say it's for fun....zing zing.

I have 11 lightsabers. Some doubles. The newer Hasbro EP 3 models (Anakin red/blue, Obi Wan Blue with vibrate, and the green Yoda with talking jedi Masterness) are nice but not all that is out there. You can still get a hold of Hasbro EP1 models like the QuiGon Jin and first run ObiWan, and the Darth Maul. As well as the Count Dooku and Mace Windu models. And if you want to go WAY back, there are still Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker models out there. The new models use LED's which is much brighter and crisper than the older models, but you lose some of the mod features. With most of the older models the parts could be interchanged a little, allowing some personal input. The newer ones are pretty much heat sealed so you have to literally crack them open to change anything. All of them make pretty decent flashlights in a pinch and have the standard sound crash and woosh when the units hit something.

There is also a new Hasbro set called the "Build your own Lightsaber" kit which is pretty cool. It has parts for multiple models of lightsabers that you can mix and match to make a failry original model. In the end it doesn't have a ton of choices, but still enough to make something you can call your own.

B0007YDCK4.01.PT01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Other than that some of the newer electronic Force FX Master Replicas models are cool but pretty expensive for field use. You can "spar" with them but the light tubes will break eventually, not causing total failure but dark spots on the blade. I haven't used one of these in a game but have one and they are very cool. A guy I know in Chicago, Syndrome, used one at OP: Thunder 2 this year, had a great time, got a few kills, and was highly lauded (as well as hunted) for his choice of weapon....but in the end he beat it to ######. Anyhow....these are cool replicas regardless.

I guess what I chimed in to say is....if you want to carry a lightsaber on the field....to Hades with what other people think. Airsoft is for fun....so have it. And there are lots of choices out there should you decide to....

I can give better reviews if people actually want them as I own at least one of every Hasbro Lightsaber since the mid 90's.

Edited by THE_ARCHANGEL

Archangel. That'd be great if you want to review tham by all means do. Thanks for your support by the way :)

I plan to build the circuitry out of a commercial saber into mine. If it's quiet I thought I'd also try to fit the guts out of a karaoke microphone into it as well and transmit the sounds back to a ghetto-blaster.

I'll get a pic later when my camera charges. The obi wan lightsaber should be loud enough for what you are wanting to do. (I think it is louder so you can here it over the vibrating noise.

I have no idea. I cant seem to get into the hilt. It can be unscrewed but one end seems to be held together with something. I can't think of a way to get into it without snapping the hilt. However I would imagain, if you managed to get into the hilt that you could remove the vibrator but I don't know if you would have to wire it to something else to keep the circuit active.

Hissing sid, I was trying to take it appart to take a picture, but as I have explained I could not. :( Though as I said both the Anakin and the obi wan sabers should be loud enough. Oh and incidentaly How much of the sabre are you planning to use? I may be willing to buy the blade off you if you are not using it. :)

Edited by Desolation mkII

Real quick on the Obi saber vibration unit.... You can remove it, but as mentioned you do have to stress crack the hilt, pry it open. I did that to mine....but the sounds still bug me. Crash....static....static.... That's the way it's supposed to be but I just hate the sound. I stopped using mine in lieu of the Anakin model....then the BYO model.

I will try to take pics and do some reviews before the end of the year. I do have a lot of sabers....

If you're going to blow $300, save $100 and blow $200 on an MR FX saber converted to a Luxeon III emitter. The blades can come out, and they are indestructible with 1"OD 1/8" ID polycarbonate blades. Read: Indestructible.

Check out Ultrasabers.com. LED sabers are quickly overcoming the EL trend (like Jeff Parks' stuff), because you get the blade durability and removeability of an EL, but the brightness of an LED, and also the sound and MR quality hilts of the MR FX sabers. All three types, all in one. Trust me, they are bright and quite duelable. If you decide to get anything from Ultrasabers, tell Alex that Zion sent you. He'll know what to do. ;)

Of course, if you really wanted to save money, check out Tim's site at thecustomsabershop.com. You can get an LED saber kit with almost everything you need for $60 or so. That's the cost of two or three of the Hasbro sabers, and they are WELL worth the trade off. Don't get me wrong, the Hasbro ones do have a place in the saber community; in fact, if you wanted to convert your Hasbro sabers to accept Luxeon emitters and polycarb blades for brightness and dueling, I can refer you to some easy tutorials. Again, if you order from Tim, tell him I sent you.

On Topic:

And concerning saber kills during airsoft skrims, I'm all for it. Nothin' breaks the silent tension of a night game like a good ol' sneak up and saber whack him on the face manuever. With Ultra's sabers, because the blades are removeable and cost like $15 each, you can have different lengths for different uses. I take a short, wakizashi length (18") saber when we do our "do-whatever-you-want" night battles every so often to break the monotony.

post-6184-1134704393_thumb.jpg

We Need Them At AG Then. Just wear your goggles when dueling this time ;)

I Need a lightsabre... I have one of the totaly retractable £7 Jobbies that sledge mentioned, but it's for the secret santa at work, so I can't mess around with it :(

MDK make one, you can make a good El or LED lightsaber a lot cheaper than a Parks one.

Lightsabers

They have emitters, el wire, blades, everything you'll need.

Mine's right here

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...pic=36850&st=40

Hmm... I may just do that :D

It'll have to wait untill after christmas, though :(

EDIT - Whoa. Looks complicated... Cheap-ish, though. As far as I can tell, i would only be able to make a custom sabre with NO markings/decorations on the hilt from this site only, yeah? As in, just a bit of ally tubing with the blade on the end?

TBH, I'd much rather buy a ready-made one from somewhere and mod it with a tougher Blade... More expensive, but it took me a while to learn how Airsoft guns work, and all the sabre stuff seems WAAAY more complex...

Oh and dude.. that link points to the middle of a model-making thread :blink:

Edited by MDK_Marshal

I know, scroll down. I didn't want to post the pics again. And yes I am aware it only will make a plain hilt however if you look, mine isn't plain you can go to big yellow box and get some ideas of copy the design. a plain one leaves you open to any of your ideas.

And wiring one is a LOT easier than you think. A soldering iron and 10 minutes is all it took me, and 3 of those minutes the iron was heating up. Look at the site's forums, they have EL blade and hilt tutorials.