I dont care about anyone putting me down or thinking its childish... I just think to my self... have they got a light sabre! No!!

Then i swish it around a bit and start smiling again...

You put it much better than I could.

And yes ironside, we are considered sad by a lot of people. As Sledge said. We play with toy guns, we dress up as soldiers, we spend hours upgrading the guns. And many of us are adults so people are going to see us as sad as we dont fit in with their perception of normality. One person in my year once said that I was sad for spending so much on toy guns. So I just pointed out that he spends more on booze and clubbing in a month then I have spent on guns in the last year. (I dont drink at all). And my gun doesn't leave me waking up with a headache and an ugly bird, and I will remember it, and it will last more than 12 hours.

Edit: I jsut got a Dooku sabre from ebay so if anyone wants me to do a review just say.

Edit2: does anybody else think it is time to move this to off topic.

Edited by Desolation mkII
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a MR Force FX saber too, mine´s Anakin model (ATM the only one available with blue blade, that´s why I chose it). Extremely cool & fun item indeed! However, it´s been a slight disappointment to realize how easily those LEDs inside the blade breaks up. After just moderate "sparring" (hey, you try to let this thing just sit still in it´s stand...) I´ve managed to create small dark splotches on the blade... Plus paint has started to chip off from the edges of "mock" button. Considering that making those sound effects work, you really need to hit the saber with some force (not Force). Mere gentle "tapping" doesn´t activate those sound effects.

I hear that MR is planning on Obi-Wan EpIII and Darth Maul EpI FX models to be launched during 2006. Hmmm, personally I´m still waiting for the Obi-Wan EpII model (a hint to sabersmiths: a possible paying customer here...).

Tbh, on hold. With the way things are looking VCRB-wise, any spare cash is going for airsoft at the moment. :(

:zorro:

Yeah, makes sense. The lightsabers aren't likely to be banned any time soon, I think.

What kind will you be going for though?

Vektor, you still have the FX? You can convert it to a much more durable Luxeon 3watt LED lightsaber.

Desolation, I'm interested. What's left?

Vektor, you still have the FX? You can convert it to a much more durable Luxeon 3watt LED lightsaber.

Yup, still have it and thanks for the scoop! Actually I sent e-mail to Ultrasabers this week, still waiting for reply. Frankly, I´m a bit hesitant ordering any electrical gadgets outside European Union, since our customs have a tendency of confiscating certain electronics. I´ll need to check and double-check that before I place any orders.

And if I spend big bucks on a saber, I´d prefer a complete package. I really wanted an Obi-Wan EpII saber, but I suspect I´ll have to wait for MR Obi-Wan EpIII FX and then ship that to Ultrasaber for conversion. We´ll see.

Look, you guys. At first, I was mostly messing around with you, and while I may have snipped at you a bit, it's all in good humor. While I believe that the comparisons between playing Airsoft and playing with Lightsabers are ludicrous in the extreme, I do understand that you are just messing around.

You have to admit, that video is hillarious.

Name: Count Dooku (Darth Tyranus) Electronic Lightsabre

Color: red

Length: Hilt – 11-12 inches, Blade - 28 inches, all together – 39-40 inches.

Features: Lights up, makes sounds. Flashes, makes clashing noises on impact. Makes sabre noises when swung.

Cost: £21.50 (Ordered from America)

Pros: Very sturdy. Loud. Quite battery friendly. Rare in England. Curved hilt. Long.

Cons: Blade sticks when extended. Curved hilt.

The next lightsabre that I am reviewing is the Count Dooku (or Darth Tyranus for those in the know). As a bit of background these are not up for sale in any UK high street stores, and according to the reply I got from Hasbro, they never will be. I decided I had to get one to complete my collection and when a UK Ebay seller imported several I decided it was too good an opportunity to miss. (for the record the only one I now need to get is the Mace Windu one so if anyone knows the location of a UK one for a reasonable price (not in excess of £25) please say.

Anyhow, on to the review.

First impressions

My first impression once I got it out of the box was that the hilt was much bigger than expected. As usual the blade is made from mould injected plastic and is very sturdy. The hilt is also made of sturdy plastic. Inside the hilt you can hear something rattling, this is the motion sensor so that the sabre can emit noises when you swing it (more on this later).

I then inserted 2 C cell batteries (not included) into the hilt and turned it on. This sabre is very loud. This sabre is about average loudness, however, the speaker is on the bottom of the sabre so you don’t cover it with your hands like on the Anakin and Obi wan sabres.. It is averagely bright (brighter than the yoda sabre); this is because the light source is a normal bulb rather than LEDs (like in the Anakin and Obi Wan sabres). I then hit it against the table to see what the impact effects were. On impact the sabre instantly began flashing and making lightsabre impact noises. I then discovered a feature I didn’t realise that this sabre had. When you swing the sabre it makes additional lightsabre swinging noises, which is kind of cool. However this effect seems to have a delay after each noises before the noise can repeat. Its still quite cool though.

The hilt of the sabre

IMG_1825.jpg

After use in duels

After use in a couple of fights I have learnt one thing. If used correctly this sabre is an excellent fighting sabre. However if used incorrectly it is a very hard sabre to fight with.

There are two main fighting techniques to use with this sabre. oth are vastly different.

Firstly is the defensive technique.

The natural feeling when picking it up is to hold the hilt so it curves towards you. However this is a bad idea as it makes it very hard to swing the sabre. But, if you hold the sabre upside down so the blade is pointing towards the floor it makes an excellent defensive sabre as it curves up along your wrist, like a police baton does. This makes it very easy to defend with as you just put your writ in the way of any attack, however it is almost impossible to attack with in this position. (this works especially well if you are dual wielding sabres)

The second fighting stance is quite the opposite. Hold the hilt so it curves away from your body. This makes the lightsabre blade come out at an angle and is very hard to defend against as the blade is coming at them at an odd angle so is hard to judge. However like the previous technique this has a serious drawback. In the previous technique it was very easy to defend but hard to attack, in this technique it is easy to attack but very hard to defend.

/Dualing 101

The full sabre

IMG_1824.jpg

In conclusion

Once again I conclude that this sabre is a fantastic buy and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a sturdy weapon that will last a long time. However, you will have to get it from the USA or China, both of which will cost you a relatively large amount of money (£30+). I got mine purely through luck. (see link at bottom of page for the seller). I would say that this is definitely one for someone who has spent his life prating about with swords so knows some fighting stuff. Again, I expect this to last me a long time.

The sabre compared with Anakin sabre and custom sabre.

Img_1826.jpg

Oh and as a final note, the hilt is more than 12 inches long, I couldn’t measure the curve as I was using a normal ruler so I measured from the floor to the beginning of the blade with the sabre stood upright.

The seller I got mine from…

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/ACTION-FIGURE-IMP...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

:P I wasn't realy that bothered, I was going to type something after that but didn't get chance as I was thrown off the computer :( I had an earily similar experiance when I found a darth maul Lightsabre at a carboot sale for a quid and my one of my mates had just spent like £50 on one. :D

W_T I would say that it is a tough call between the Dooku and the Anakin sabre. Probably with the Anakin one being slightly better. (for sounds).

Right, I'll try to get the last Hasbro review up tonight.

Edited by Desolation mkII

From my experience with my kids, the Hasbro Dooku IS one of the better buys, if anyone else wanted someone to corroberate what Desolation MkII said in his thorough and always indepth reviews (very nice, mate --+1).

Oh and Vektor, tell Alex (the head of Ultrasabers) that Zion sent you. He may give you a price break if his kids have him in a good mood that day ;). May I recommend his Luxeon green K2 setup for your saber. Ridiculous brightness, and just about unbreakable. You should see the video of some of us whaking the corner of a brick wall just to prove that these blades do not break (don't worry kids, it was just for a safety video currently in the works to demonstrate the need for safety when using these new sabres).

Now, for the even more ridiculous upper extreme of lightsabers, check out our latest sabersmith feat: Wireless Bluetooth on board sound sensors and digital relays, clashing effects (light surges) and nearing even greater brightness than the latest K2 luxeons, all the while still keeping the nigh-unbreakable blade factor. Unlike the MRs, remember, these are hollow polycarbonate blades, so no dark spots, and no breakable components in the emitter.

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/saber/saber_r..._sndtst_big.mov

Edited by KyberAuZ