Item #32b on the "things not to do list"

Arnie

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to be a spoilsport, but I personally reckon that's fake.

Maybe somebody already said this. I didn't read the whole thread.

It's a camera trick.

The bottle is pinned to the tree and the guy is in front and to one side of the bottle.

He's still pretty close, close enough that the shards of glass probably went down his back, but he wasn't in the line of fire.

Redneck morons <_<

Make another blanket statement about people like that and I'll -1 you.

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but I personally reckon that's fake.

If it's not, then frankly someone that stupid needs to be removed from the gene pool forthwith anyway.

Nope, I'm pretty sure it's real. some people just do some really stupid things. myself included.

Blank in the gun.

Remote pyro in the bottle.

:flamed:

bullet in gun.

nothing in bottle.

nothing in head either.

I think the smartest thing on that set was the camcorder. Trust me. it's a lot more likely that it's a real bullet than a trick.

Maybe somebody already said this. I didn't read the whole thread.

It's a camera trick.

The bottle is pinned to the tree and the guy is in front and to one side of the bottle.

He's still pretty close, close enough that the shards of glass probably went down his back, but he wasn't in the line of fire.

I can see this working, actually.

And yes, I know I said the Xmas lights was fake, and I had a lot more evidence for that opinion than I do for this being so.

This is just a gut instinct that says 'this was cheated in some form'. I really don't think anyone is so goddam stupid as to willingly let his friend shoot a bottle off his head.

Lets be clear - I'm not saying 'this is fake, here is my proof.' I'm saying I, me, personally have the opinion, that it was a trick of some kind. I could rig a similar stunt up with stuff I have to hand at work and in the flat. <_<

was it a camera trick? NO

was the bottle on his head? NO as well.

The trick wasn't balancing a bottle on his head. watch the video again. He has the bottle on a board nailed to the tree, so it doesn't fall off. Then HE leans his head up against the board. Therefor, they are taking the same stupid risk, but they have ensured that the bottle won't fall.

And as hard as it is for you to believe, G_R, there ARE really people out there that are THIS stupid. Sadly, a large number more of them reside in my country than in yours, so you don't get to see it as much.

I wish I could agree that it's a camera trick, but being a former film-maker (making my opinion on camera tricks somewhat of a "professional opinion")... it's real.

I wish I could agree that it's a camera trick, but being a former film-maker (making my opinion on camera tricks somewhat of a "professional opinion")... it's real.

By "camera trick" I mean the guy is simply stood forward and to one side of the tree and the placement of the camera hides this.

I don't mean it's a technical trick.

[edit]

Picture attached for the hard of thinking.

gunstuff.jpg

All these people commenting on how the bottle reacted to being shot, have you shot a bottle recently, or blown a bottle up?

Anywho, bottle isn't on the guys head, its the frickin post behind him. You can see it when he moves. Which would imply hes a safe(ish) distance in front of it. Just like Sid said.

And they're still morons.

All these people commenting on how the bottle reacted to being shot, have you shot a bottle recently, or blown a bottle up?

Yep, shot bottles and all kinds of things; admittedly not recently though.. What makes me suspicious is the two equal clouds of smoke or mist coming out of either side of the bottle. I don't recall seeing (m)any such clouds such as this from an empty bottle which I've shot. Albeit this is largely with the aid of slow motion and supposes that it's an empty bottle to start with (the resolution's not great so it's hard to say) and depending on the kind of round he's allegedly using too...

I also think Sid's probably right on the angle/trick but I'm not convinced they used a real bullet but who knows? Not me! :)

I'm pretty sure Sid has it right, the bottle is a tiny bit to our left to be balancing perfectly on his head like that

it's not balancing on his head. they aren't saying it is. It's above his head, balancing on the board. You can see the board when he ducks after the shot. His head is right below the bottle, as far as I can tell. Sid has a point, and I completely understand what he is saying, I just disagree.

I believe this is fake because I have never seen a bottle react like that when shot with any round. And before anyone asks I have shot many bottles with many different guns.

they were being stupid! Why the he** would they put a freakin charge in the bottle? It's hard to do, it's expencive, and "well I'm probably a good enough shot that we can just do the stunt". There was no explosive in the bottle, and from the way the smoke shoots out from the barrel in the slow motion re-play, you can TELL it's not a *fruitcage*-ing blank. I used to TEACH film making. I for one would know. This is not faked. Where he is standing? maybe. the gunshot and the bottle? NO. It's real.

For christ's sake! I know what I'm talking about.

NOW, the way that they could have faked it....

It's called a "difference matte" And it requires a tripod, which they obviously have.

The guy stands in front of the bottle and his friend shoots it from the SIDE (putting him well out of the way of the shot). Then, without moving the camera, the friend moves to his position in the front, and fires the gun again. You take the two clips, and use matting to have both going on at once. This is an easy trick that anyone (yes, even a "redneck" like me) can do with good editing software.

As for an "explosive charge", no. It wasn't an explosive charge.

So now that I'VE proven that it could be fake, I stick by my origional statement that no, it wasn't fake. Could have been done, but I think these guys are just stupid.

Aaron

it's not balancing on his head.  they aren't saying it is.  It's above his head, balancing on the board.  You can see the board when he ducks after the shot.  His head is right below the bottle, as far as I can tell.  Sid has a point, and I completely understand what he is saying, I just disagree.

ahhh, i couldn't see the board at first :-/

they were being stupid!  Why the he** would they put a freakin charge in the bottle?  It's hard to do, it's expencive, and "well I'm probably a good enough shot that we can just do the stunt".  There was no explosive in the bottle, and from the way the smoke shoots out from the barrel in the slow motion re-play, you can TELL it's not a *fruitcage*-ing blank.  I used to TEACH film making.  I for one would know.  This is not faked.  Where he is standing?  maybe.  the gunshot and the bottle? NO.  It's real.

For christ's sake!  I know what I'm talking about.

Just for the record, putting a charge in the bottle is niether hard nor expensive.

I could do it for £5. (This assumes I already have the gun)

Video editing was part of my degree, and I'm not saying either way if it was faked or not. I PERSONALLY think it was, but I could be wrong.

Opinions are like poopies, eveyone's got one. :)

Well here's what I saw on that video...

1. The gun was real.

2. The gun DID fire a real shot (most likely .357 judging from the recoil)

3. The bottle did break, but it was a pyrotechnic charge, not a bullet hit (bullets don't explode and produce smoke from the radial of the bottle on impact, only a tubular pyro placed dead center of the bottle does this)

4. The gun WAS fired just above where that guy was standing

5. The guy beneath the bottle was NOT there when the gun was fired

So how was it done?

Two pieces of film.

1. The guy on the left walks up, lines up his gun and shoots a hole in the safe direction of the tree while his friend is well clear.

2. The guy on the right stands under the bottle attached to the tree while his friend has already put the gun down, swapping it instead for something to detonate a pyro inside the bottle.

Both clips are then mixed together as two halves of the same shot. The result, you actually believe you are watching someone shoot a bottle off another person's head.

So how do I know this? Look carefully. The gun produces smoke - the bottle produces smoke. There is an invisible line down the centre of the shot that mysteriously does not allow smoke from one side to travel to the other. e.g. The two halves of the shot either side of the invisible line are in fact, different shots.

And incidentally, the shadows indicate that the guy on the right WAS actually leaning against the tree ;)

Everyone happy? :)

------------

The most stupid thing about this is that it MIGHT encourage some idiot to actually try it, not realising this video is a fake! <_<

Archived