Glock Picture Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks a bunch Vicious, Will that slide still work with out any modifications with the G&G Outer barrel?

Just out of curiosity, what setup would you go with? I just got a new G26 and a G&P SS100 silencer in yesterday, So i'm in need of a slide and threaded barrel.

Polish? What? No no, I wasn't going for that mirrored look. I wanted brushed steel.

What I did was take out all the guts, grind down all the paint with 120 grit sandpaper(would've used grittier if I had to do it again) and then went over it again with 150 grit. I tried to make all the 'grain' going in the same direction, but it's impossible. I had to wash it a few times and sand it finer each time. And even when it was washed all the way there sounded like there was gunk in the rails, so I used a Q-tip(more like 10) and some silicon oil to clean it out.

yes I also have done this a while back and came out like everyone elses. It's really not that smart of a move in my opinion. I think that if you want a really nice silver slide it should be anodized. And that's what I did. I took a G&G slide and had someone strip it, and then put a clear anodized coat on. And it really looks nice + you don't loose the trades. Just my opinion though.

Why does everyone think mirrored is better than brushed? It smudges and scratches way too easily... But I was forced to do it, I accidently (that means I was incredibly stupid) started whittling at the orange tip, and it looked like ######.

I don't think everyone thinks mirrored is better - it's not. (that's a fact) haha Anyway, not too bad considering your options. But for future reference, if you want a nice silver slide just break down and spend the bucks for a professional to plate/anodize one or buy SD or someone else.

Anodizing would definitely be a better solution for a dull silver color. Using sandpaper and polish just won't get it done quite like that.

For my silver, I just sanded it down with some rough grit paper to remove all the paint, and used an 800 or 1000 grit to smooth it out, then used toothpaste as a polish. It wasn't a mirror finish, but it was a "shiny" silver.

its all about how many different levels of sand paper you used, and how fine it ends up being. As I said I polished my outer barrel with 5 grades from 1-200 ish to 1000, then hit it with Mothers. It ends up being mirror-like, but I did my slide only with 3 grades up to 800 and it ends up looking like stainless steel appliance kind of finish....Mothers generally just make it shinier.

I am experimenting with automotive clear coats to see if it works with my slide, so far not very well...

Polish? What? No no, I wasn't going for that mirrored look. I wanted brushed steel.

What I did was take out all the guts, grind down all the paint with 120 grit sandpaper(would've used grittier if I had to do it again) and then went over it again with 150 grit. I tried to make all the 'grain' going in the same direction, but it's impossible. I had to wash it a few times and sand it finer each time. And even when it was washed all the way there sounded like there was gunk in the rails, so I used a Q-tip(more like 10) and some silicon oil to clean it out.

The grained look you want can be done by clamping the slide to a flat surface, then clamping an angled bar parallel to the direction you want the grain to go.

Stick the sandpaper (I used 800 for the grain without water) to a flat block (which needs to be longer than the slide) and keep it against the angled bar as you move it along the slide with gentle pressure.

Every 10 strokes or so, stop and carefully lift the block straight up off the slide to avoid extraneous scratches and brush off the dust from the sandpaper with a toothbrush, then repeat until the grain becomes uniform. Finally use a fine metal polish with non-lint cloth to smooth the surface to a sheen (don't overdo it).

Not a great photo but if you look carefully the grain on the curved edges are perpendicular to the flat surfaces, this was done by lapping the sandpaper block across the curves. You need to do the curves first, then the flat surfaces.

Cover the finished areas with selotape, then masking tape on top to protect them as you work on other surfaces.

I store the gun in a thin plastic bag that's been sprayed inside with silicone to stop the surface from tarnishing.

Chris.

post-3231-1169150822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cerebus

Am i the only person who thinks the glock 17 is the best out of all of them? It's such a masculine looking gun. why does everyone like the 19?

I'm waiting for my ksc glock 17 to arrive through the post, does the plastic slide look bad? i dont think im gonna get a metal slide but if the plastic one is balls then i guess i will.