Steyr pictures/gallery

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rawr! I am your king, bow down before me!

Or something....

Evike in the US carry the so-called "carbine" outer barrel with the "birdcage" style flash excluder, but it seems to be out of stock. And the Para/Commando one, too.

See my post in the Common Inner Barrel Length thread for the right inner barrel to suit your needs.

If you need more information, please let me know.

Edited by Hedganian

The Para/Commando has a fixed vertical foregrip, rather than the folding foregrips of the other versions. This is because to fold the grip up on so short a barrel would end up with the firer losing fingers. Removing the foregrip would give you nothing to hold, so I don't see why you'd want to do that.

on the CA AUG A1, where does the barrel unscrew from the rest of the barrel? is it before the front grip or after it?

and would this

http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index....products_id=632

make it look like the paratrooper model?

Edited by pfcstoner

I'm *SO* sick of that "SMG adapter" It is completely useless. Look at it - it is just the piece which fits into the foregrip block and has a 14mm negative thread for the flash excluder to screw onto.

Dude, get your manual out and look at the exploded diagram. The barrel does not unscrew from anything. It is held in place by a single grub screw which can only be accessed by removing the foregrip. Remove the foregrip carefully, and use a 1.5mm allen hex key to unscrew the grub screw. Do not take it all the way out, because it's a sod to get back in again. Once that is done, the outer barrel will simply slide off.

I showed you the only halfway accurate Para/Commando and short-barrel (so-called carbine) AUG barrels that I know exist. There are no other options that I know of, that are correct. If you want an accurate replica, that's what you need. If you want something half-arsed, then just get whatever you feel like, but it won't be an accurate replica.

Well, carbine is a lot easier than saying 16" barrel.

And a lot less accurate, too. But then that's what I've come to expect from most people.

A carbine is a rifle which fires a pistol round. Hence the so-called AUG SMG is actually the AUG carbine and the so-called carbine is just a shorter assault rifle.

Ask for a dictionary for Xmas.

This isn't going to be a repeat of the "flash hider/excluder" debacle is it? Carbine is one of those words that has been used to mean multiple things depending on who you ask even within the firearms industry. It often is used as a descriptor for shortened assualt rifles, although in this context the 16" AUG is indeed not called a carbine.

Why not?

The ACOG looks daft as it sits too high, due to poor eye relief on it (4x32 scope version) it sits too far back on the rail and also looks datf

True, however your AUG is a sniper/marksman variant, which makes it fairly incongruous to have a no magnification sight on it. Yes, I know it's airsoft, and the ranges we engage at often require very little magnification, but the Eotech is a sight designed for fast target acquisition. How are you going to be rapidly acquiring targets with that long a barrel and a bipod? The best compromise between practicality and good looks would probably be a scope with variable magnification, that you can set to 3x magnification so the eye relief isn't too bad. Perhaps consider combining the Eotech with a NV scope, or a simple magnifier; it will fill up the rail a lot more (though cost is an obvious drawback).

And a lot less accurate, too. But then that's what I've come to expect from most people.

A carbine is a rifle which fires a pistol round. Hence the so-called AUG SMG is actually the AUG carbine and the so-called carbine is just a shorter assault rifle.

Ask for a dictionary for Xmas.

What you've said is only partially correct. One comparatively rare use of the word carbine is for a rifle firing a pistol calibre round. I'm sure there was no need for such an attitude in the first place, and the fact that you appear to be 'sitting on your high horse' despite being incorrect just makes your post all the more aggravating. Please check your facts before trying to smite people.

In the real AUG world, it is called a 16" barrel. Incorrect my *albartroth*.

Try talking to some real AUG owners--handling a real one would help you learn about the finer details, like trademarks, too.

.....and the correct term for "flash excluder" in the AUG manual (http://www.steyr-aug.com/AUG32-45.JPG) is "muzzle flash hider".

Edited by sekiryu
True, however your AUG is a sniper/marksman variant,

Try support variant. It's used for both. Technically the HBAR-T is the marksman variant.

And the eotech is going on for the very reason you just stated, I don't need any magnification. I'm just after a reticle for target aquisition seeing as aiming down the rail dosen't work.

And at the end of the day.....I don't want a scope on it. I already have a bolt-action as my marksmans rifle. Don't need a second one. Meh, personal preference, think the EOTECH looks good on AUGs and I'm only after a reflex sight.

Edited by Nicoli
Try support variant. It's used for both. Technically the HBAR-T is the marksman variant.

And the eotech is going on for the very reason you just stated, I don't need any magnification. I'm just after a reticle for target aquisition seeing as aiming down the rail dosen't work.

And at the end of the day.....I don't want a scope on it. I already have a bolt-action as my marksmans rifle. Don't need a second one. Meh, personal preference, think the EOTECH looks good on AUGs and I'm only after a reflex sight.

I stand corrected then... But I would like to point out that a reflex sight ~= £30, and an EOTECH ~= £300.

Edit: Having looked into it a little more I now see the light. HBAR = 24" heavy barrel, fitted with bipod and different muzzle break. This allows for greater accuracy at longer ranges, with the bipod used for more stability, particularly during sustained fire. Also available are 42 round magazines. HBAR-T = the same but with a telescopic sight fitted, so a marksman variant. So in fact, your current AUG, with the rail and ACOG fitted, is probably closer to the HBAR-T.

Very similar then to the L86 LSW, which was originally intended to be the assault rifle with a longer, heavier barrel, and bipod so it could provide supporting fire. Because of 30 round magazine capacity and 4x SUSAT sight it found more of a place as a marksman rifle, leaving the support gunning to the GPMG and Minimi LMG.

Edited by morpcat
I stand corrected then... But I would like to point out that a reflex sight ~= £30, and an EOTECH ~= £300.

Edit: Having looked into it a little more I now see the light. HBAR = 24" heavy barrel, fitted with bipod and different muzzle break. This allows for greater accuracy at longer ranges, with the bipod used for more stability, particularly during sustained fire. Also available are 42 round magazines. HBAR-T = the same but with a telescopic sight fitted, so a marksman variant. So in fact, your current AUG, with the rail and ACOG fitted, is probably closer to the HBAR-T.

Very similar then to the L86 LSW, which was originally intended to be the assault rifle with a longer, heavier barrel, and bipod so it could provide supporting fire. Because of 30 round magazine capacity and 4x SUSAT sight it found more of a place as a marksman rifle, leaving the support gunning to the GPMG and Minimi LMG.

Yep, I always think of the HBAR as more like the LSW than any other support gun. Supposed to be a support gun but found a different niche.

I see where you're coming from, with the ACOG yeah it is closer to the T, but the Acog is only there as I've no other sight for it atm.

And EOTECH = £300......not if you get the clone my boy! :P lol

Yep, I always think of the HBAR as more like the LSW than any other support gun. Supposed to be a support gun but found a different niche.

I see where you're coming from, with the ACOG yeah it is closer to the T, but the Acog is only there as I've no other sight for it atm.

And EOTECH = £300......not if you get the clone my boy! :P lol

Make sure you put up some pics when she's complete. My TM AUG has had an ACOG red dot (OK looking) on it, an aimpoint (shudder), and a scope (cool, but impractical), and I eventually decided to go for an ELCAN. Unfortunately the ELCAN won't mount on the rail :( and someone I lent the AUG managed to destroy half the internals, so AUG is out of action for the moment.

Clearly the only solution is to buy an M249 to put the ELCAN on.