1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked out those Cocobolo grips... very nice indeed! Might need to get me some. Thanks for the suggestion! Regarding the rubber grips, I'm looking for grips that are essentially the same style as the classic grips, but in black rubber. Most of the ones I come across by Hogue and Pachmayr tend to be wrap around grips. Any suggestions... or am I just not looking hard enough (I admit that that is entirely possible and I appologize if that is the case)?

Has anyone tried some ultra thin grips instead of the regular width grips? The Ultra thins are more or less the same except that they are about 40% thinner than regular grips (therefore they make the grip about 1/4" thinner/slimmer). Because they are slimmer, the hardware used to mount the grips are tailored to the new grips. So I was wondering if the new hardware would be compatible. Also, for the sake of curiosity, does anyone know what brand thegunrunner used for his 1911's grips?

Regarding the rubber grips, I'm looking for grips that are essentially the same style as the classic grips, but in black rubber.  Most of the ones I come across by Hogue and Pachmayr tend to be wrap around grips.  Any suggestions... or am I just not looking hard  enough (I admit that that is entirely possible and I appologize if that is the case)?

If you're looking for a really nice pair of slim grips that are rubber, then I'd suggest Simonich's Gunner Grips. On the page there's a pic of the black ones on a 1911, and here's a pic of an M1911A1 (Titleist's) with the Coyote Gunner grips on it. Apparently they're amazing, as long as you like the waffle look. A bit expensive too, but worth it from what I've heard (if they're too expensive there are plenty of cheap copies on airsoft sites, try RedWolf.)

does anyone know what brand thegunrunner used for his 1911's grips?

Just PM him.

If you're looking for a really nice pair of slim grips that are rubber, then I'd suggest Simonich's Gunner Grips.  On the page there's a pic of the black ones on a 1911, and here's a pic of an M1911A1 (Titleist's) with the Coyote Gunner grips on it.  Apparently they're amazing, as long as you like the waffle look.  A bit expensive too, but worth it from what I've heard (if they're too expensive there are plenty of cheap copies on airsoft sites, try RedWolf.)

res0290, thanks for the suggestions! After doing some research (mostly in some of the earlier pages of this thread), it turns out that while the copies of Simonich's Gunner Grips are indeed much cheaper, their color tends to be off and much more orange (at least in the Coyote Tan variant). Other comments I've read on this and on RS boards is that Simonich's Gunner Grips are pretty rough in texture and tend to be tough on the hands, but considering I always wear gloves (especially for CQB games) they sound like they'll do the trick. As for their aesthetics, their definitely an acquired taste... one that's definitely growing on me. I dropped an email to Simonich's last night inquiring about availability. Apparently they're out of the Coyote Tan til late Feb. :(

In the mean time I've ordered three pairs of the classic GI Walnut Grips (I have three 1911s - 2 KSC, and one TM/PGC). I do like the Cocobolo grips, but I kind of prefer the classic style grips which will act as a cheaper stand in until I get the Simonich's Gunner Grips (at least one pair for the TM/PGC 1911).

Unrelated to the grips... I just received a new KSC 1911 (Metal slide/Taiwan Version). I expected it to be essentially the same as that of the Japanese KSC 1911 except maybe slightly less in quality to the Japanese version (kinda like Taiwanese KSC Glocks vs. Japanese KSC Glocks). What I was shocked to discover was the magazines were different!!! The top section of the Japanese mags are about 4mm taller than the Taiwanese mags!!! Anyone else know anything about this!?!! I dropped an email to UN Company who sold me the Taiwanese 1911 as well as the Japanese 1911 mags (that on their own site indicate should be compatible with the Taiwanese 1911 pictol). Haven't heard back yet. :(

Unrelated to the grips... I just received a new KSC 1911 (Metal slide/Taiwan Version).  I expected it to be essentially the same as that of the Japanese KSC 1911 except maybe slightly less in quality to the Japanese version (kinda like Taiwanese KSC Glocks vs. Japanese KSC Glocks).  What I was shocked to discover was the magazines were different!!! The top section of the Japanese mags are about 4mm taller than the Taiwanese mags!!!  Anyone else know anything about this!?!!  I dropped an email to UN Company who sold me the Taiwanese 1911 as well as the Japanese 1911 mags (that on their own site indicate should be compatible with the Taiwanese 1911 pictol).  Haven't heard back yet. :(

Sorry, kind of unrelated to your problem,

But does your Taiwan 1911 critically fail and strip the recoil assembly out of the front of the gun on Green Gas/Propane?

I've been trying to figure out if mine's just a lemon, but so few people seem to have them that it's pretty hard.

@uscmCorps

I didn't really like the gunner grips at first either, but I've heard they're great and I really want a pair now. I agree with you when it comes to the wood grips, too...I like regular walnut more that Cocobolo, but only by a little. Congrats on the new gun, post some pics! I've never heard that problem concerning the mags, I've only used Japanese, never Taiwanese.

Edited by res0290
Sorry, kind of unrelated to your problem,

But does your Taiwan 1911 critically fail and strip the recoil assembly out of the front of the gun on Green Gas/Propane?

I've been trying to figure out if mine's just a lemon, but so few people seem to have them that it's pretty hard.

I only just got the Taiwan 1911 last night. It was in a shipment along with the TM/PGC 1911. I was a lot more excited about the TM/PGC than I was about the Taiwan 1911 and I just had enough time to test out the TM/PGC, not the Taiwan 1911. So I'm afraid that I'm unable to confirm or deny whether my Taiwan 1911has the same issues. I'll probably have more time to test it this week so I'll be sure to get back to you! I've been running Green Gas on my Japanese 1911 for some time now, and that one only has a plastic slide. It hasn't failed yet... although it might be a matter of time (knock on wood! ). Does your Taiwain 1911 have a plastic slide or a metal slide?

@uscmCorps

I didn't really like the gunner grips at first either, but I've heard they're great and I really want a pair now.  I agree with you when it comes to the wood grips, too...I like regular walnut more that Cocobolo, but only by a little.  Congrats on the new gun, post some pics!  I've never heard that problem concerning the mags, I've only used Japanese, never Taiwanese.

I'll try and post some pics tonight of the differences between the Taiwanese and Japanese mags.

My Taiwan KSC has a plastic slide.

I don't know if mine's a lemon, or just an extreme case as it started doing it after less than a hundred rounds, but I put it down to the lack of a flanged recoil plug... and so the path of least resistance as the fires appears to be to force the whole recoil assembly out of the front of the gun (partly due to the relatively shallow fit of the barrel bushing)

In any case, I'll probably buy a couple of PDI recoil springs and plugs towards the end of the month, so if they work it'll be a reasonably cheap issue to fix.

Fudged up MarSOC with Prime kit coming soon. Any of you guys have any experience with CP Hammers 'n sears?

I have a CP hammer and sear in my 45, what's you want to know?

I know that I had to open out the slot for the firing pin to sit in or the gun would not function properly.

The sear i thought at first was faulty but that turned out to be the CP steel disconnector which on closer inspection turned out to be shorter than the stock piece!