1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should have some cool customised olive-gray AlumaGrips coming pretty soon for my Kimber...will post pics when they get here :D

Hope they fit...

I've heard from a few people that the SCW3 system seems to offer the same overall performance as SCW2 but its just the Magnatech

branded guns that are not as 'fancy' as the usual WA guns in terms of finish.

Havne't handled one myself yet but the MARSOCs are about as good as a WA get.

Its hard to tell it from the real thing :)

Plus the GSR slide might look cool but that weird hammer makes me think it looks like a toy.

Which it is but damnit I want it to look REAL :P

Edited by PenGun
So the GSRs and Warriors should be up to par with previous WA 1911s so long as one avoids the MagnaTech GSRs and Warriors?

I think so. Though I'm sure more knowledgeable persons might be able to post a comparison pic??? :rolleyes:

Maybe snowman has a pic on his review site...

*Goes off to look at site...*

The main difference I have found with my Magna-Tech's and my SCW guns (other than fixed hop) is the depth of the trademark stampings and the lack of backing in the slide stop area-

magnatechphase3A.png

M-T on top, SCW bottom-

Notice the almost gaping hole in the slide stop notch area- you can see through to the spring guide and spring through there, whereas the SCW, albeit in metal slide and frame kit here, has backing there to reinforce that area (the original plastic slide has the same backing)

ColtOfficersDetail1.png

Magna-Tech SCW3 Officer's Model

No backing here either- the M-T GSR's are the same :(

-G

If you want even more bling, then have a look at the Ajax Pewter Grips...

Not sure if they do them for Officers Models but you can get laminated wood grip with medallions on them which are really nice!

Their site is kinda slow but there is some cool (and downright gaudy ;) ) stuff on it!

Regards :)

PenGun

I think so. Though I'm sure more knowledgeable persons might be able to post a comparison pic???  :rolleyes:

Maybe snowman has a pic on his review site...

*Goes off to look at site...*

No SCW3 guns on the site. :mellow:

So now I'm confused... eHobbyAsia has the GSR and the Warrior listed as MagnaTechs, but Redwolf doesn't. If it turns out that the GSR and Warrior are unavailable in MagnaTech versions, I'm right back at the starting point.

Edited by Jagdraben

It looks like WA did two different mold versions of the GSR. One version is the stainless and matte black versions which look like regular WAs, while the XO-ish GSR (with the black grips) looks like a MagnaTech. That being based on pictures of the two with the slide catch... the Warriors all appear to be decidedly non-MagnaTech-ized, in that manner.

IRC, even the one with no backing to the slide catch notch isn't considered a magnatech. I'm pretty sure it's not listed on the same page on the WA site, with the magnatech range. It is/was also a lot more expensive than magnatechs.

Magna/r-type - The gas system for most older WA's (not sure what was used before that)

SCW - Shibuya Custom Shop - A name attached to some of the higher end WA r-types

SCW1 - First improvement on the gas system, stronger blowback, more realistic fake firing pin area (dodgy actual firing pin though)

SCW2 - Second improvement on the gas system, improved blowback, diffirent firing pin set up to prevent light strikes.

SCW3 - Just a bit of tinkering with SCW2, different firing pin design and fixed hop up I thought, but a few still have adjustable apparently.

Magnatech - Uses SCW3 system, but light weight ABS used, shallow trades,seemingly stamped with evidence of box around them, fixed hop up, no backing to the slide notch area, cheaper and general poorer finish to the full priced WA's.

Edited by hitmanNo2
Quite nice HBC, I think the wood grips compliment the fancy pants design of those Tommy Franks nicely.

I was looking for something a bit more light, in images they looked similar to cocobolo but in reality they're a bit more subtle.. lovely grain though.

If they don't sell I wreckon I'll simply install some of those rubber finger grooves that sit under the grips..