1911 Picture Thread

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an honest opinion, maybe only driven by the fact that I have medium frame hands.

I have small palm too.....and that is the reason why i love the single stack so much.....so what would you rather have? Beretta 9mm? Dessert Eagle .50? Or any of those .22 guns? If you don't mind, I wanna know which gun do you like.... ;)

Just to put a different slant on this topic, Yuck, I don't like a single gun on this thread.

I honestly can say I have tried my hardest to like the 1911, but after firing one a few years back, I must say it is the must cumbersome piece of iron ever to have been in my hands, I'd rather try and kill you with a chicken!

And as for airsoft, the looks do not make up for the real steel dissappointment.

Just an honest opinion, maybe only driven by the fact that I have medium frame hands.

;)

B u E

p.s. When are they going to drop the lame-assed .45 ACP?

:)

There is a REASON the 1911 is still around, its one of the best damn semi-automatic pistols ever made. If you dont like the looks, thats fine, but your evaluation of the functionality of the pistol is totaly wrong. The 1911 being roughly the same grip size as almost every other double stack 9mm or single stack .45 pistol, what pistols DO you like? 80% of the semi automatic pistols around today are based off of the mech. of the 1911.. Whoops, gone a little to far into real-steel discussion. Dont mean to hijack or get this locked, so back into the airsoft..

The WA 1911 series is one of the most upgrade-able and best airsoft pistol you can get these days.. 1911 and Marcus, you guys have some sweet pistols.

I think the next project Ill do will be an SCW Kimber. That things just sweet.

EDIT by R22: Inflamatory content removed from this post.

Actually, single stacker 1911s have thinner more rounded grips than their double stacked counterparts. I like other double stacked pistols, but the P14s and such really are too wide and boxy for my tastes.

I love the look of the 1911, but it's an old gun. Single action only is a thing of the past. It's a great gun, but there are better alternatives out there. Still, I'm a proud owner of an airsoft 1911. :D

sp00n,

What is ignorant about my post?

I think you need to learn a bit more before typing.

And no to the others, they should drop the .45 acp round, they only use it because it is big.

Anyway, my main complaint about them is in both airsoft and real, for small handed people, the 1911 has the slide release lever too far forward as well as the single stacker still having a few mils more circumference on the pistol-grip than even a gp9 Browning.

And btw sp00n, most semi-auto pistols untill the glocks actually emulated the Browning mech, so check your gun history before quoting.

B u E

p.s. you lot bite easily, hehe!

EDIT by R22: No personal insults - Arguing benefits no-one.

Would be nice if anyone were to make a complete Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II with the Surefire. I know I'd buy it.

MGC makes one

Blut und erde,

thats the reason why US army used .45, cause of its stopping power (its big!). I mean your opinion is your opinion, mine's mine....and strangely enough, as I've said, i have small palm as well.....single stacker 1911 is the one that fits the best to me......don't know about you....My friend own a real steel FN browing, the grip is actually quite small for a hi-cap...but I still personally prefer 1911. Slide release is not a problem for me at all....but that's just me. I guess people who post in this thread are 1911 lovers...so it would be normal if most people here would defend the gun :)

K, Back to topic...please post the pic of your gun please. ;)

Anyway, my main complaint about them is in both airsoft and real, for small handed people, the 1911 has the slide release lever too far forward as well as the single stacker still having a few mils more circumference on the pistol-grip than even a gp9 Browning.

The slide release lock is meant to be released with your left hand after you insert a new mag.

The .45 round is one of the best pistol rounds available, as stated in previous posts. The 1911 is not as "fun" to shoot as some of the newer firearms chambered for .45 due to newer designs in recoil management. (ie: HK USP)

This may be of interest to some of you;

The grip angle of a 1911 is 18 degrees, which after extensive study both academically and more practically at places like Thunder Ranch, has proven itself to lend maximum pointability and recoverability after each shot. If you point your fingers in pistol-shape (forefinger and middle extended, ring and pinky to palm), chances are you'll end up with an 18 degree slant of your wrist when the fingers are "on target".

It is also critical for quick target acquisition to use a gun that "points where you look", as many first-time shooters will tell you that they consistently shoot high with, say, a Glock, and low with an S&W 945.

M.

Right, earlier (much, much earlier...) I said I may convert and try another WA 1911 series gun.

So I have.

Sorry for this thread hi-jack but I've decided, in all my wisdom, to go for a WA SV/I Tactical Carry (the one with the meat hammer muzzle block). I felt that all SV/I guns looked IDENTICAL, and wanted something different. So there it is.

Again, sorry to hijack the thread and all, but if anyone could just sneak in a comment as to whether the gun's any good or not it'd be much appreciated (I am converting to 1911s after all ;) ). Oh and I have read snowman's excellent review over on Just Pistols, I'm just looking for any other opinions.

Right, earlier (much, much earlier...) I said I may convert and try another WA 1911 series gun...

...I've decided, in all my wisdom, to go for a WA SV/I Tactical Carry

Apart from the fact that this is a CMC/STI/SVI/SPS modular frame 2011 and not a 1911, you're good to go :D

My intention isn't to nitpick or sound superior, but the ergonomics are vastly different. A 2011 to a 1911 is like a WW2 bayonet to a karambit, equally lethal but not at all similar in tactical feel.

That said, it's a decent gun, although my personal opinion is that it's ugly as sin :D

M.

This may be of interest to some of you;

The grip angle of a 1911 is 18 degrees, which after extensive study both academically and more practically at places like Thunder Ranch, has proven itself to lend maximum pointability and recoverability after each shot. If you point your fingers in pistol-shape (forefinger and middle extended, ring and pinky to palm), chances are you'll end up with an 18 degree slant of your wrist when the fingers are "on target".

It is also critical for quick target acquisition to use a gun that "points where you look", as many first-time shooters will tell you that they consistently shoot high with, say, a Glock, and low with an S&W 945.

M.

Actually, you are wrong there. The natural way of holding a pistol is much closer to the 45 degree angle of the Luger. They say you can naturally close your eyes and point a Luger at a target and it'll be right on target. I've held a replica and it is much more comfortable than the 1911. Much more exotic too. Believe me, I love the 1911, but I think the Luger's got it beat with it's pistol grip design.

Edited by Catchv22

Not meaning to throw any gasoline on 1911 preference fire, but I´d be one to second Marcus´s statement. Having fired many, many rounds off real AND airsoft Glocks, I really don´t like the sharp grip angle of Glocks or similar pistols (Luger, Ruger Mk series, SIG P220, Steyr M series). For my natural point of aim many S&W combat autos, Berettas and SIGs have far better pointability. Those sharp angled grips make fine target pistols for UIT style competitions and without a question those angles help taming the recoil a lot, but for natural pointability, not for me.

Could this be more individual thingy? There are, after all, many "schools" for shooting a handgun properly, but since we all have different sized and shaped hands, there can be no "Ultimate Truth"? If there were, wouldn´t all handguns have the same grip angle then?