1911 Picture Thread

Shell catcher for a full auto one?

You're correct in saying that it is a shell catcher but its not for a full auto version (despite what the size of the magazine suggests)

WW1 pilots routinely carried rifles and pistols with them to shoot at other planes as they passed!

The shell catcher was used to stop spent casing flying into the pilot's face and to try and reduce the possibility of the spent cases becoming stuck in and blocking the cockpit controls.

The extended magazines were developed for both rifles and pistols used by the pilots.

I have also read about rumors of the pilots carrying bits of brick in their cockpits to drop on planes underneath them :o

(not too sure if that is true tough, like I said its just rumors)

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're correct in saying that it is a shell catcher but its not for a full auto version (despite what the size of the magazine suggests)

WW1 pilots routinely carried rifles and pistols with them to shoot at other planes as they passed!

The shell catcher was used to stop spent casing flying into the pilot's face and to try and reduce the possibility of the spent cases becoming stuck in and blocking the cockpit controls.

The extended magazines were developed for both rifles and pistols used by the pilots.

I have also read about rumors of the pilots carrying bits of brick in their cockpits to drop on planes underneath them :o

(not too sure if that is true tough, like I said its just rumors)

Interesting stuff. Makes me think of the German usage of the Mondragon with drum/snail magazines from balloons.

The Delta looks good Krame. Somewhere on ASB I think you said you have grips on the way - those will really complete it.

Edited by RSP1
Interesting stuff. Makes me think of the German usage of the Mondragon with drum/snail magazines from balloons.

The Delta looks good Krame. Somewhere on ASB I think you said you have grips on the way - those will really complete it.

I agree with RSP, great looking pistol but a change of grips would really finish it off.

I really like the grips Romulus has on his Delta, they would look great.

Yea, the grips really changed the look of the gun a lot. Next stuff on the list are a silver barrel bushing and a silver PDI delta hammer if I can find one. I'm also thinking about some extended silver controls.

Edited by krame

The barrel bushing and hammer will be really good additions. I'm not sure how the extended controls will look though (I'm assuming that you're talking about something similar to the 9Ball controls). I think that the modernness of it might clash a bit with the classic look you have going right now.

That being said maybe it would be good to try to update the gun a bit. I should have pictures of my Delta with 9Ball controls (and many other surprises) up by the end of this week if USPS treats me right.

I spy bullets.

Looks very nice though. The interesting thing is that it is exactly what a Hi-Capa would look like if you tried to make it look like a 1911.

Very nice gun though.

Bullets are for my real 1911, as are the magazines and holster...just props for this shot.

Looking at it...yeah, it is. Unintentional, heh. It started life as a MEU(SOC) late version, then I swapped in a TLE frame, and ended up with that slide.

Like I said before, I like that lighting in those pics and the project is coming along nicely. Do you plan on getting a new trigger, hammer and other parts?

Yeah, if I can find what I want. I'm actually looking for a Hardballer styled trigger and hammer... I just don't have the slightest clue where to get them. Nothing I've seen looks close enough, and I'm not sure if I can use the WA ones from their Hardballer Longslide assuming I could even get my hands on them. The extended controls are just a matter of waiting until I get the money, which tends to mean I need to find a job, lol. Stupid college kids stealing all my slacker jobs away from me.

I think TM makes a Hardballer Longslide, but again, I'm not entirely certian the trigger and hammer will transfer properly to the WE because the one I saw didn't seem to be based of their other 1911s.

The grips look good by the way.

Here's a few new shots of mine after sanding and polishing and with fabric wrapped grips. Hopefully I get my Pachmayr American Legends soon, sadly I can't seem to find them locally which would have sped things along.

IMG_4919.jpg

IMG_49572.jpg

IMG_4910A.jpg

IMG_4918A.jpg

IMG_4921A.jpg

IMG_4943A.jpg

And my final secret to keeping it polished... my girlfriend was doing her nails and gave me the idea since my local hardware store didn't have any sandpaper over 600 grit and left me screwed until I had this revelation.

IMG_4995.jpg

One of those nail polishing things... it actually works great. It's essentially like four different high grit sandpapers on a nice foam block. The polishing side gives the metal a nice shine that for some reason my pictures don't do justice... could be bad lighting. But I'm so keeping the nail sander/polisher thing for keeping my 1911 shiney. Girly, sure. Effective, amazinly yes.

:unsure: umm an emery board/nail buffer?

Yeah, I guess, lol. Thanks... One of the striking discoveries I made while bored and lacking proper tools.

Oh, I also don't think I was clear on the fact that I did use the 600 grit sandpaper first, I just wasn't satisfied with the results and then out of boredom and need to experiment tried that to see if I could improve upon where the sandpaper had gotten me.

Got a couple of things done today. I've a confirmed delivery date of the 20th for the Nova Kimber SWAT kit. WIll post picture of it later in the day.

Also been to the platers today and dropped off all the little bits and bobs for nickel plating ready for my Nova Springfield kit in silver. This should be here this week also.

Then after trawling the net I found a full auto 1911 on you tube that some old boy had modified.

You can see the link

I decided I wanted one too so I got tinkering. So far I've got full auto working fine and know how I'm going to switch to semi. Just need to do some fiddling this week. It's pretty cold here and I only had a near empty can of poo gas to hand so it runs out a little. If I stick a mag on the radiator it's a lot better.

I've uploaded a quick taster here.