Ability to close our own topics

I think this would be a good idea. Not only will it give people whos threads have degenerated into spam and such the power to close their own threads but it means we can close our own sale threads when finished. IMO itll save a little time for the mods and such :)

I'm against it (except in the Sales forum) for three reasons:

First, in a debate, the thread starter could close the topic to avoid being proved wrong.

Second, why should a thread close just because YOU'VE finished with it? What if it's moved on to another area that is of no interest to you, but is of great interest to others?

Third, it increases the chances of duplicate threads. "I wanted to ask a question about something in an old thread, but as it was locked I had to start this one."

:zorro:

First, in a debate, the thread starter could close the topic to avoid being proved wrong.

Second, why should a thread close just because YOU'VE finished with it? What if it's moved on to another area that is of no interest to you, but is of great interest to others?

Third, it increases the chances of duplicate threads. "I wanted to ask a question about something in an old thread, but as it was locked I had to start this one."

Ah, yes. Very good reasons sledge. Hadnt thought of that before!

Ditto.

I didnt look at it that way :(

I still think its a good idea in the sales section though

Would work well in the Sales forum.  I don't know if it's worth the hassle to change, since we've got a bunch of sale/off topic moderators that handle it very well anyways :)

I wouldn't say we have a lot.

List of Sale/Off-Topic Moderators:

1) Gene

2) Enzo100

They do a good job though...

If a sale thread starter says "sold", even if the thread is not closed, I don't see any problem with it.

Arnie's supposedly working on some code that automatically close/delete sale threads after a while. Sorry, Gene, looks like you might be out of work soon. :lol: Or you might be promoted. ;)

I think it would take some fancy coding to give only a thread starter the ability to close a thread, maybe something similar to the edit function.

IMO, not worth the time and effort.

If arnie found it worth the effort, I'd say in the sale forum only.

A better idea (because it's mine ;) ) is to rename those sale foums slightly so I can skip over the UK sale threads easier (I use the view new feature to cruise the boards) I find myself clicking into threads repeatedly because the forum only shows "for sale" not "UK for sale" or "US for sale" and I guess I have a poor memory for which users are from where.

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...topic=30783&hl=

Thanks for letting me drag this off topic ;)

A better idea (because it's mine ;) ) is to rename those sale foums slightly so I can skip over the UK sale threads easier (I use the view new feature to cruise the boards)  I find myself clicking into threads repeatedly because the forum only shows "for sale" not "UK for sale" or "US for sale" and I guess I have a poor memory for which users are from where.

You mean this? :huh:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=13

Actually more like this:

screencap5vl.jpg

(hopefully you can see what I mean :) )

edit:

as you can see, since the "for sale" in both the UK and US sections are named the same, there is no way to distinguish the two when viewed in a search (like the view new posts link)

Edited by Ledpocket
Actually more like this:

(hopefully you can see what I mean :) )

edit:

as you can see, since the "for sale" in both the UK and US sections are named the same, there is no way to distinguish the two when viewed in a search (like the view new posts link)

Ah, I see. That would be helpful, and shouldn't be hard to implement at all not that I know anything about coding. :P

• 4 months later...

I don't know about it being difficult to code in a way to close your own threads - both ASCUK and UKAN forums have this feature. Admittedly, they use a different forum system, by the look of it.

Just today I saw a thread advertising a custom gun that I liked the look of and asked a couple of questions/made an offer. Turns out the guy had withdrawn the item from sale and decided to keep it. Guess I should have noticed the last post was in March - but if the thread had been closed and/or deleted, I wouldn't have had to...

Do any Mods cruise the Wanted section and close off dead threads as well as the For Sale section? I'm sure there are loads of redundant threads in the Classified sections that could be closed if only the Mods knew about them.

To be fair - if thread starters can't be bothered to ask a Mod to close the thread, or put SOLD or PLEASE CLOSE on the bottom, are they likely to close it themselves??

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to slightly revive this, but luckily I saw it first before creating another thread :P

Anyway, I have just come off a sale on Ascuk, and like Hedganian suggested, Arnies should have the same ability to close thier for sale threads when needed. However i think we should (the members) be able to go one step further then that.

Would it be possible to have full contol over our for sale thread? i.e. We should be able to edit (our own) post even if two days or so have passed.

Cheers

Kliskey

Edited by kliskey