USMC Scout impression

DieGuitarre

Ok, I'm looking into going for a USMC infantry scout impression. I say infantry because I want to make it plenty clear I'm not going for a Force Recon look.

I plan on getting a TM m14 OD and dressing it up for the M21 role, but I have a G&P M4 right now which should do fine. My main questions are in the uniform.

First, what kind of load bearing stuff would a USMC scout have? I am going for a woodland look and does everything need to be Coyote or would OD, or MARPAT be acceptable? I'm thinking of either a S.T.R.I.K.E commando recon rig or the SDS FLC 2.

Also would a scout wear armor? particularly if he had an M21?

Here are some things I know I will be getting;

TM M14 OD

Issue MARPAT

Issue boots

and then whatever armor/chest rig you guys would recommend.

Thanks for the help guys,

-Doug

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For vests I would stick with Coyote Brown (the USMC is transitioning to this color) or Woodland. The SDS Interceptor OTV is the standard issue armor of the USMC, currently in CB, but you could easily get away with woodland. The SDS Fighting Load Carrier LBV is the issue LBV, you're likely to see that in Woodland, I haven't seen too many pictures of those in CB, though as I said, the USMC is transitioning to this color.

Have a look over on Mil Photos for some inspiration.

the DMR role is pretty good. If you want the rifle as close to the real thing, the stock is out of the question BUT you can get a SPR flash hider and install that and make the stock all OD. And yeah like what Heute said. Coyate Brown is SORT of their new trasiting color. BUT you should also know that some USMC Scouts are both scout/snipers which mean they play as both roles. But i understand with the DMR. Make sure you get the polartec CB beanie with it...those make you look like a DMR for sure :)

Thanks for the replies guys,

I was looking at marines.com and found a picture of a guy with a MARPAT vest with MARPAT pouches. Not sure if this was just a promotional photo or actual issued out stuff. I would get the pic but the new marines site is all in flash so I can't save it.

Keep the suggestions and stuff coming,

-Doug

Half of the people in the Marines still have Woodland Interceptors and OD/Woodland pouches for them.

By the way, from what I understand, Force Recon is infantry. My friend's Marine Reserve Artillery Unit was just changed to a Reserve Force Recon unit, so I don't see what the big deal between 'infrantry recon' and 'force recon' is.

Force recon alot of times will have differnt gear then the standard infantry and I am really just going for the "Infantry" scout look.

So a scout would wear armor or no? Also SDS doesn't have the 'Fighting Load Carrier/Load Bearing Vest' in Coyote.

So would the Super FLC be acceptable

http://secure.specialtydefense.com/cgi-bin/sds/S0007.html

that is a GORGEOUS loadout, i can only dream of that

ive also noticed in a lot of recent pictures, especially in the stars and stripes (military newspaper) i read when i go home to visit my parents, a lot of marines are using a MOD II style plate carrier, the exact brand im unsure. i think as long as its similar to a CIRAS, interceptor, or MOD II plate carrier and the rest of the loadout is close youd be golden.

Interceptors, coyote brown from SDS. there are no replica coyote brown interceptor otvs.....but we are working on (307 industries) ACU and coyote brown interceptor replicas, good quality ones that if kevlar inserts were to be put in, they could be used for real otvs.

Half of the people in the Marines still have Woodland Interceptors and OD/Woodland pouches for them.

By the way, from what I understand, Force Recon is infantry. My friend's Marine Reserve Artillery Unit was just changed to a Reserve Force Recon unit, so I don't see what the big deal between 'infrantry recon' and 'force recon' is.

The Recon in say an MEU or infantry division acts as a forward observation unit to the company/division/brigade etc. Force Recon acts as the USMCs elite small scale fighting force, such as the Army has Delta Force and the Navy has the SEALs. In most cases, MFR deals in MOUT and hostage situations, not to mention the huge combat aid they gave in Fallujah and the initial invasion of Iraq. If the USMC actually had special forces, MFR would be it. These guys are in the top 10 elite units in the world, infantry recon is just *fruitcage*in' good at what they do.

*BTW, my older was in Force Recon for a while, so cha.

Catchv22: MFR. although not infantry, are somtimes companies inside divisions. Like say the 13th MFR is part of the 23rd MEU. And how Maritime Special Force marine units are inside infantry divisions. I bet your friends artillery unit is being used as support to the MEU, or possibly to the MFr unit itself. Also, the USMC might have just needed to stick oyur friend somewhere, and that fit the bill.

If the USMC actually had special forces, MFR would be it. 

I thought they were a SF unit. Usually their name is followed with "special operations capable".. Or is this just saying they are as good as any SF unit but they are not officially an SF unit?

for the longest time, marines had "SOC" units---specially trained, elite "sepcial operations capable" units...but they were SO because they wanted to keep them entirely under their own control rather then let the power fall to SOCOM, so they could do with them as they please, implement them when and where the marines wanted.

theyve often been regarded as special operations and often deal hand in hand with the various SO units, but until recently the marines had no intent on making a unit attached to SOCOM...but now with everythign thats going on, funding being reappropriated and the changing face of the military, in order to save their SOC units the marines are starting to create another elite unit whihc will fall under SOCOM jurisdiction..it has yet to be named, yet to be placed or yet to be seen but rest assured it is talked about a lot..ive heard about it, its no secret you just have to look around.

i first heard from my father who is currently in the navy-he heard from some marine friends..and if you dont believe me, my father is stationed at (and i graduated from high school years ago) stuttgart germany, headquarters for MARFOREUR and SOCEUR. its not quite a public thing this whole SO unit, but its not classified in the least ..if i had time id do a search to see what i could turn up.

but either way--force recon is one of their "SOC" units that the USMC tries to keep otu of everyone elses hands :D

Archived