USMC Scout impression

DieGuitarre

Well I've looked at about every USMC picture I could find, and while the IBA is the most commonly used thing. I saw plenty of pics of marines just wearing plate carries, ciras, blackhawk vests etc...

So it seems to me at this point in time there is plenty of flexibility as far as gear goes as long at it's in CB (or for some things woodland).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well I've looked at about every USMC picture I could find, and while the IBA is the most commonly used thing. I saw plenty of pics of marines just wearing plate carries, ciras, blackhawk vests etc...

So it seems to me at this point in time there is plenty of flexibility as far as gear goes as long at it's in CB (or for some things woodland).

I have some pictures ina magazine from 2005 of MCSOCOM DET 1, I could scan them in of you think they may be of some help. The operators are all wearing tri-color Desert BDU's and Soft bodyarmor with some sort of Chest rig over top of it.

if you dont want an IBA, get a plate carrier. (Eagle, BHI, TT) but not CIRAS. CIRAS is generally only issued to SOF type personel, not just an ordinary DMR. make sure it is CB though as stated previously

see here: American Snipers.org

quoted from site:

"BODY ARMOR

Armor that allows sniper to get scope picture, the large vector vest with metal inserts that we currently use puts the rifle too far from the shooter's eye, requiring him to shed the vest, same with the Kevlar helmet. "

also, scroll down and look under BHI.

BTW, AmericanSnipers.org is a non-profit organization run by LE Snipers, who collect donations (gear or money, which goes to purchasing gear) for guys who are put in the DMR position, without the proper gear. (this is the impression your going for, so look at the items being donated) they send all of that stuff out to our troops. i suggest looking through the site and reading what they are about, and the letters from the snipers.

I'm either going with a plate carrier or just the FLC.

Anyway I have another question regarding patches. Is it permissable to wear things like "suck meter" "bs meter" "evil smiley" or such things?

Thanks again for the help guys I hope to have this all done except for the rifle within the next few weeks.

Ok heres a question regarding body armor.

Lets say we went to war in a tropical, thick, dense jungle environment and as a scout I would be doing LRRP. Would they wear armor then?

Because I am going for more of a woodland/jungle type loadout. Just curious if that would make any difference.

Ok heres a question regarding body armor.

Lets say we went to war in a tropical, thick, dense jungle environment and as a scout I would be doing LRRP. Would they wear armor then?

Because I am going for more of a woodland/jungle type loadout. Just curious if that would make any difference.

No they wouldn't. LRRP would want to be light and manuverable. They also would not be on a DA op and would leave it at home because they would not be actively expecting incoming fire. If they are in a fire fight either they were ambushed ar screwed up...one of the two.

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE135-44931-1977.html

I'm dancing around a budget right now due to some un expected expenses arising. However I am still trying to get this as close as possible. So if that one wouldn't be acceptable, I will spend the extra money and get the BHI.

Thanks again,

-Doug

What do you guys think of this one?

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE135-44931-1977.html

I'm dancing around a budget right now due to some un expected expenses arising. However I am still trying to get this as close as possible. So if that one wouldn't be acceptable, I will spend the extra money and get the BHI.

Thanks again,

-Doug

I am sitting here with a Marine Corps First Sergeant(RET), I asked him about some of the questions from this thread. He said that a scout would wear a guille jacket and hat, Also they would a VB (Modular Load bearing Vest.) They would carry a few MRE's (Out of the pack in there cargo pocket's). The Scouts travel extremely light and need to be able to move quick. So no armor at all for them. The manning is usually three men, an they are loaded to the gills with as much ammo as they can carry and still be light and fast. The boonie is right on, and they will be wearing the digital cammo. This is the info I am getting from him, he was a grunt for his entire time in. He has only been out for 2 years so I am sure most of this has not changed to much. Hope this can help you out.

Ok thats good news, I really didn't want armor haha. I think I'll look around and make my own guille stuff, and so the FLC would count as the VB? I'm sure thats a stupid question but for some reason I have an insane headache right now and don't want to think too much.

Thanks again and +1 for the help. Thank your friend for me to if you get the chance.

-Doug

Ok thats good news, I really didn't want armor haha. I think I'll look around and make my own guille stuff, and so the FLC would count as the VB? I'm sure thats a stupid question but for some reason I have an insane headache right now and don't want to think too much.

Thanks again and +1 for the help. Thank you friend for me to if you get the chance.

-Doug

I showed him the vest at Supplycaptain and he said it was not the same vest, but he also said that alot changes in a few years, I know that the FLC is a current issue vest so I would venture to say that you are safe with that in your impression.

Archived