A quick moan...

Hissing_Sid

I just fired up Adobe photoshop and it told me I needed to update it.

So, being the obedient little drone I am, I clicked "update" and let it do its thing.

The result appears to be that I now have a bunch of shareware Adobe applications installed on my PC and it also installed the Yahoo toolbar.

I have no idea if it actually updated anything about photoshop but I doubt it.

Point #1: This sort of thing sucks.

I do NOT expect Adobe to use "updating software" as an excuse to install junk on my PC.

So, I opened up my Control Panel and clicked "Add and remove programs". I scrolled down the list and zapped all the shareware Adobe products.

However, to my surprise, the Yahoo toolbar wasn't actually on the list. It's installed as an add-on for my browser but it's not there.

I DO use the Google toolbar and that is on the list.

Point #2: Yahoo seem to have found a way to stop their Toolbar showing up on the list of programs which can be removed.

This is slippery and dodgy in the extreme.

I did a google search for "uninstall yahoo toolbar" and it turns out that you need to uninstall it via the yahoo website. On a page of th yahoo website there is an "Uninstall Yahoo Toolbar" button you press and it uninstalls.

Fair enough, I guess, except that it measn you MUST be connected to the internet to get rid of it.

And you're relying on Yahoos website to remove it.

Just thought I'd share that cos it kinda p1ssed me off.

Why Adobe feel the need to install a browser toolbar for a different company is beyond me.

PDFs shouldn't be used as web pages so the affiliation is tenuous at best. Adobe try to make ODF do more than it's good for.

Printing - Yes.

Browsing - No.

Everytime I open a bloody pdf it tries to get me to update, I don't tell it to "Not tell me this next time" because I like to use the little list of tickboxes that try to install rubbish as a trigger to bring forth much anger and fury withing me, which I then contain and use semi-productively.

Adobe bought Macromedia.. we should all weep.

I like they way they assume we all use/care about Interner Explorer too.. why I oughta!..

I just fired up Adobe photoshop and it told me I needed to update it.

So, being the obedient little drone I am, I clicked "update" and let it do its thing.

The result appears to be that I now have a bunch of shareware Adobe applications installed on my PC and it also installed the Yahoo toolbar.

I have no idea if it actually updated anything about photoshop but I doubt it.

Point #1: This sort of thing sucks.

I do NOT expect Adobe to use "updating software" as an excuse to install junk on my PC.

So, I opened up my Control Panel and clicked "Add and remove programs". I scrolled down the list and zapped all the shareware Adobe products.

However, to my surprise, the Yahoo toolbar wasn't actually on the list. It's installed as an add-on for my browser but it's not there.

I DO use the Google toolbar and that is on the list.

Point #2: Yahoo seem to have found a way to stop their Toolbar showing up on the list of programs which can be removed.

This is slippery and dodgy in the extreme.

I did a google search for "uninstall yahoo toolbar" and it turns out that you need to uninstall it via the yahoo website. On a page of th yahoo website there is an "Uninstall Yahoo Toolbar" button you press and it uninstalls.

Fair enough, I guess, except that it measn you MUST be connected to the internet to get rid of it.

And you're relying on Yahoos website to remove it.

Just thought I'd share that cos it kinda p1ssed me off.

I know exactly how you feel mate, EXACT same thing happened to me. Now i have an annoying tool bar.... :mellow: at the top of my screen, sigh

Sid, it's because Yahoo is doing everything they can to not lose web dominance to google. Google is the next Microsoft, and that means that Yahoo will eventually be underfunded and go the way of Lycos. A sketchy move on their part, and obviously done out of desperation. Don't you just love it when major companies that we've all grown to trust install adware on your computer?

BTW, the same thing happened to me and I was very upset as well. Mostly because I like Adobe, and felt betrayed by one of my favorite software companies.

Sid, it's because Yahoo is doing everything they can to not lose web dominance to google.  Google is the next Microsoft, and that means that Yahoo will eventually be underfunded and go the way of Lycos.  A sketchy move on their part, and obviously done out of desperation.  Don't you just love it when major companies that we've all grown to trust install adware on your computer?

BTW, the same thing happened to me and I was very upset as well.  Mostly because I like Adobe, and felt betrayed by one of my favorite software companies.

Word. Yea, I mean in my experience Adobe or Yahoo NEVER and I mean NEVER had any spyware... And why does Yahoo has to install a toolbar under Adobe's name :blink: That's just mean, lol. I mean yea, Adobe obviously agreed but THEY'RE ADOBE! Not some sorry-as* company..

Archived