Does ANYBODY actually take responsibility...

Hissing_Sid

americas population is WELL below one fifth, I believe there are 120million > 200 million people in america. the world as a population of around 6 billion. so i make it more like a 30th of the worlds population, but i wouldn't be at all surprised by the 2/3rds of lawyers lol. China which has a populas of 1.2 billon has a 5th of the world population but they've got different non-sueable problems (hey theres an idea make the world communist and no more lawyers :D )

I heard a quote somewhere "my son, he got nicked for a petty offense last year. this year he's 18 and did it again now he's off to prison, I blame the schools"

I believe i shall introduce Hissing Sid's idea of letting people know in no uncertain terms that they are responsible from now on (well unless there are more than 6 of themtogether and they look rough :) )

Cheers

Mig

Edging on 300 million mate.

But, no where near 1/5 of the population either way. Between India, and China thats over 2 billion people there.

I wouldn't be surprised if we had 4/5ths of the world lawyer. EVERYONE Goes to law school anymore -.-

About calling things diseases: After I left my ex-girlfriend she apparantly went baleamic. She wasn't while I was with her.

I can't see how you can call that a disease, really. She must have felt bad that I left her, and then figured she was too fat so tried to lose weight like that or maybe just damage/punish herself.

It's not like she was infected with something that made her be sick after every meal.

The sueing thing: Some knob-jockey thought it would be clever to hit my current girlfriend round the head while she was reading a book in the cafeteria. Probably showing off to the rest of his 'posse'.

I was over the other side of the room, coming over to meet her. He left her crying, and was even laughing at what he did.

As such, I knock out 3 teeth.

Of course, I get blamed, and he even threatens to sue me for it.

To skip to the end - I was the 'bad guy' for hurting him at all, even though he was obviously in the wrong and deserved it.

On responsibility: It ###### me off so much when people try to blame others for their own mistakes.

I have many stories of cheeky little funts doing things like breaking plates and walking off or last week having a phone in an exam and blaming the teachers for not checking him!

I agree that anorexia is a mental illness.  But bulimia, imo is not.  I feel sorry for people that are anorexic, and I see them as heroic for defeating it.  However, I do not share these feelings with bulimia.

Can I ask why you don't see them as the same? From what I know of eating disorders, they tend to be at some basic level very similar; namely that they're both behavioural problems brought about by a mental problem the sufferer has with their weight and image. The main difference is the way in which they decide to inflict the damage on themselves, ie. by eating too much and puking it up or by starving themselves.

About calling things diseases: After I left my ex-girlfriend she apparantly went baleamic. She wasn't while I was with her.

I can't see how you can call that a disease, really. She must have felt bad that I left her, and then figured she was too fat so tried to lose weight like that or maybe just damage/punish herself.

It's not like she was infected with something that made her be sick after every meal.

The sueing thing: <bad stuff happening>

I think there's a difference between an illness and a disease; a disease implies germs or a virus causing harm to the body, whereas an illness can be either a physical or mental problem, or actually both. As such, I'd say an eating disorder was a disease.

As for the incident in the cafeteria: that's harsh, dude. I hope he got in trouble too after you explained yourself.

A disease is any abnormal condition of the body or mind that causes discomfort, dysfunction, or distress to the person affected or those in contact with the person. Sometimes the term is used broadly to include injuries, disabilities, syndromes, symptoms, deviant behaviors, and atypical variations of structure and function, while in other contexts these may be considered distinguishable categories.

Medical usage sometimes distinguishes a disease, which has a known specific cause or causes (called its etiology), from a syndrome, which is a collection of signs or symptoms that occur together. However, many conditions have been identified, yet continue to be referred to as "syndromes". Furthermore, numerous conditions of unknown etiology are referred to as "diseases" in many contexts.

Illness, although often used to mean disease, can also refer to a person's perception of their health, regardless of whether they in fact have a disease. A person without any disease may feel unhealthy and believe he has an illness. Another person may feel healthy and believe he does not have an illness even though he may have a disease such as dangerously high blood pressure which may lead to a fatal heart attack or stroke.

:zorro:

Can I ask why you don't see them as the same? From what I know of eating disorders, they tend to be at some basic level very similar; namely that they're both behavioural problems brought about by a mental problem the sufferer has with their weight and image. The main difference is the way in which they decide to inflict the damage on themselves, ie. by eating too much and puking it up or by starving themselves.

One requires an action (bulimia) and one requires no action (anorexia). You can become anorexic without intending to. You can just "lose your appetite" because of a trauma, tragedy, or because of a social issue. It's not that you don't want to eat, you just "aren't hungry".

So in some cases there is no difference, but there is no such thing as accidentally becoming bulimic. It is a choice. You can, however, accidentally become anorexic. Dogs will starve themselves if thier master dies. It's a common symptom of depression.

This is why I take pity on anorexia, but not on bulimia. Bulimia is always intentional. At least it starts that way.

If you technically "loose" appetite, its not anorexia anymore. Anorexia is the disorder that makes the persons decide to either not eat as much as they need, not eat at all or not what they need. Same as in bulimia, the feel the appetite, but they dont want to eat as they think theyll get fatter or (mostly when they are fat) they feel ashamed about/hate eating, because it reminds them of them being fat/not resisting hunger.

You still would call it suicide if someone stoped breathing, right?

Anorexy and bulimia have have the same causes: deppresions, low self-esteem, etc. It doesnt always have to do with outer appereance. Even if that is the final cause, its much easier for it to have that effect if other things in your life are not OK.

And both are intentional: you determine either to not eat enough or you cannot (usually) resist the urge to eat (usually the exagerated need to eat is part of the disorder) and then you go puke it.

If you technically "loose" appetite, its not anorexia anymore. Anorexia is the disorder that makes the persons decide to either not eat as much as they need, not eat at all or not what they need. Same as in bulimia, the feel the appetite, but they dont want to eat as they think theyll get fatter or (mostly when they are fat) they feel ashamed about/hate eating, because it reminds them of them being fat/not resisting hunger.

You still would call it suicide if someone stoped breathing, right?

Anorexy and bulimia have have the same causes: deppresions, low self-esteem, etc. It doesnt always have to do with outer appereance. Even if that is the final cause, its much easier for it to have that effect if other things in your life are not OK.

And both are intentional: you determine either to not eat enough or you cannot (usually) resist the urge to eat (usually the exagerated need to eat is part of the disorder) and then you go puke it.

First: Bulimia is just as much an illness as cutting your wrists.

Second: my ex-girlfriend has had some problems with anorexia. The problem being that she is light and petite. Healthy she is about 105 lbs. If bad things happen, lets say for example... her boyfriend dumps her, or her mom dies or something like that. there's a trauma. She is depressed because of the trauma. Because she is depressed, she has no appetite. She doesn't eat anything in 3 days, and loses 10 lbs. Now she's 95 lbs. She tries to eat something, but it just isn't working, she just isn't hungry. Not only that, but since her stomach has shrunk, she can only eat a banana before she feels full. Another three days go by. Now she's 85 lbs.

Now... tell me how that kind of anorexia is intentional?

First: Bulimia is just as much an illness as cutting your wrists.

Second: my ex-girlfriend has had some problems with anorexia.  The problem being that she is light and petite.  Healthy she is about 105 lbs.  If bad things happen, lets say for example... her boyfriend dumps her, or her mom dies or something like that.  there's a trauma.  She is depressed because of the trauma.  Because she is depressed, she has no appetite.  She doesn't eat anything in 3 days, and loses 10 lbs.  Now she's 95 lbs.  She tries to eat something, but it just isn't working, she just isn't hungry.  Not only that, but since her stomach has shrunk, she can only eat a banana before she feels full.  Another three days go by.  Now she's 85 lbs.

Now... tell me how that kind of anorexia is intentional?

Are you sure that's classified as anorexia, or does a loss of appetite count as a different disorder? Anorexia tends to start with the sufferer hating their body image and consciously thinking "must not eat, must over excercise, must get thin" etc. It's not neccesarily that extreme, but it does often involve some sort of encouragement in the sufferers own mind.

Archived