Biohazard Intervention

Monk

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the UMP (Universal Machine Pistol). It fires a pistol round, a hallmark of both the machine pistol and the SMG, it really doesn't have the pistol configuration and as such falls under the heading of full SMG. And it's an AEG. And for bonus points, one was given away at BIOHAZARD II.

I'm stumped, if it's the UMP, then wouldn't the P90 also qualify? and the upcoming MP7? My UZI guess is also a 9mm pistol ammo firing SMG - so what is the key qualifying difference? It has to have "pistol" in the name?

Also, just to verify this so that I don't get bombarded here in the posts too, we received an email asking the following:

[/b]

Subject: What is considered a pistol?

"Hello, I am seriously considering going to your east coast event but I have a question about the “pistols only” rule.  The gun in question is a KWA MAC 11 Gas Blow Back Machine Pistol.  The real steel is classified as a pistol.  I would hate to show up with this and not be able to play.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete"

Close...but no cigar.  The MAC 10 & 11 are not "machine pistols" but are actually submachine guns:[/color] http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg22-e.htm

Sadly, as with the MP5K, they fall under the SMG rule which is...well...no.  There is only one exception to this rule (by name only) but it is also not allowed at the event because it's airsoft version falls under the AEG classification...any takers?

The winner, aka the first person to post the correct and COMPLETE answer here, gets a free Operation: Biohazard II DVD, so tell your friends!

The name of a UMP says Machine Pistol, but it's really more of a marketing ploy. True machine pistols are really just fully automatic versions of pistols, such as the 93R and the Glock 18C. Even the Stechkin is a true machine pistol. The UMP is no more a pistol and the MP5 (which also calls itself a machine pistol). Then again, the MP44 is the grandfather of assault rifles and was named MP to put off Hitler who felt the Wehrmacht didn't need another rifle.

From Modern Firearms:

"The UMP (Universal Machinen-Pistole = Universal Submachine Gun) had been developed by the Heckler & Koch company of Germany in the mid- to late- 1990s and first appeared on the markets in 1999. The key idea behind the UMP was to ceate lightweight and powerful submachine gun, that also will be cheaper than one of the J&K's flagships, the MP-5. UMP, being targeted primary for USA law enforcement market, first appeared in .45ACP and .40SW chamberings, and later - in 9mm.

The UMP is a blowback-operated select-fire submachine gun, being fired from the closed bolt. The receiver is made from the polymer, the controls are fully ambidextrous. UMP can be fired in full-auto, in single shots, and in 2 or 3 round bursts (optional). UMP also has bolt hold-open device, which traps the bolt in the open position when the last round from magazine had been fired. UMP has side-folding buttstock and two set of picatinny rails - one on the top of the receiver, and the other - on the forend. "

Archived