CA36K Review - 60 Pictures (almost done)

Raygis LasVegas

54852095.CIMG0445.JPG

- CA spring guide.

54852096.CIMG0447.JPG

- CA yellow piston head and piston.

54852099.CIMG0456.JPG

- The first time I examined the piston, the last tooth was in perfect condition. At this time, I never fired the gun. After around 400 shots, the piston’s last tooth quickly wore down as pictured. I was afraid to use CA’s piston but I figured I might as well break it before I replace it.

- After another grueling 2000 rounds, I inspected the piston once again. To my amazement, the piston did not continue wear down. This proves the piston has a default amount of wear to be broken into. After the piston has been warmed up, any additional wear would only appear after the gun has been well used.

- I have full confidence in the CA yellow piston despite the initial wearing of the large tooth.

54852097.CIMG0452.JPG

- CA air nozzle.

- Note: The air nozzle can only be inserted into the cylinder head in one way.

54852098.CIMG0454.JPG

- CA cylinder head.

- This pic shows the shim job I did using skotch tape. The tape effectively seals up the gap in between the air nozzle and brass portion of the cylinder head. I’ve since fired over 2000 rounds and the skotch tape has not failed.

54852100.CIMG0457.JPG

- CA G36 tappet plate.

54852101.CIMG0458.JPG

- CA Gearset.

- I’ve seen and inspected older CA gears from their infamous M4A1 series. In comparison to these, I must say these gears appear to be better. Only time will tell if these gears will stand up to abuse. So far, with these gears, the mechbox runs very smooth. I’ve tried hi-torque gears in the CA36K’s gearbox before. Although the gun functions, the action was very loud and mechanical.

- These gears look great, they function great – let’s hope they also last a great amount of time.

54852102.CIMG0459.JPG

- Here’s the spring guide keeping the spring in position.

G36 carry handle scope

54852103.CIMG0460.JPG

- After removing the screws and tabs that secure the carry handle, slide the handle back to remove it from the upper receiver.

54852104.CIMG0461.JPG

- Sliding the carry handle scope.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

54852105.CIMG0462.JPG

- Carry handle scope with screws & tabs removed.

54852106.CIMG0463.JPG

- Rear - Underside of carry handle scope.

54852107.CIMG0464.JPG

- Front - Underside of carry handle scope.

54852113.Cimg0464b.jpg

- Business end.

54852108.CIMG0468.JPG

- Fixed sights

- These sights are molded onto the carry handle. They are very low in profile and is useless in low-light conditions.

54852109.CIMG0469.JPG

- Aiming at the power outlet.

54852110.CIMG0482.JPG

- In scope view.

54852111.CIMG0484.JPG

- The magnification is 1.5x .

- This power is not bad during day use. However the combination of small lenses, short eye relief, and non-illuminated reticule makes this scope difficult to aim and use under pressure.

54852112.CIMG0485.JPG

- In scope view.

Damn - that is a fine looking set-up, and it looks like CA have made a real winner there. I used to have a TM G36C upgraded to a K model with the Star kit - I sold it to buy a KSC HK33K.

The TM/Star combo kinda really put me off the G36 to be honest. Now I've got my HK33K which I love - but your review of the CA36 has got me wanting one of those now. :unsure:

Have you had a chance to chrono it or skirmish with it? How does it perform as a shooter???

Is the adjustment on the scope easy or not?

The adjustment on the scope is easy to physically move. They are made up of grub screws ( 2.5mm allen screws ).

However, there are no audible or physical clicks indicating movement. The only reference available are the engraved markings on top of the windage & elevation turrets.

Was the KV stock easy to fit?

Yes, it was easy to fit onto the CA36K's hinge. When unlocked, the folding stock and enough free movement to swing about.

What size thread is the gasblock where the outerbarrel is attached?

The size thread on the gasblock is 14mm negative. The flash supressor is able to be threaded onto the gasblock just as it is on the G36C.

Scope's Windage & Elevation spring modification

54905023.00labels.jpg

LEGEND

54904451.01Stockcompressed.jpg

 Stock spring being compressed to it’s minimum state.

 There are too many coils and it’s preventing the monocular from going lower.

 Zeroing the scope, in regards to down and right, are limited.

54904452.02Stockreleased.jpg

 Stock spring exerting outwards to it’s full length.

 This is the absolute maximum range of movement.

 Zeroing the scope, in regards to up and left, are limited.

54904453.03Stockremoved.jpg

 Windage & Elevation screws being loosen further.

 The stock spring can not push the monocular any higher and to the left.

 Zeroing the scope, in regards to up and left, are limited.

Modification

54904454.04Modedcompressed.jpg

 Replace the single spring with two separate springs.

 The replacement springs must have a higher tension strength and have less coils.

 Here it shows the extended range of movement when zeroing down and right.

 Zeroing the scope, in regards to down and right, are maximized.

54904455.05Modedreleased.jpg

 Windage & Elevation screws are loosened.

 The springs are able to push the monocular and follow the adjustment screws.

 Zeroing the scope, in regards to up and left, are maximized.

Final Verdict on the CA36KE-V

Pros

 Solid gun.

 Excellent weight distribution (especially with a battery in the stock).

 Smooth CA mechbox function.

 Able to store all kinds of batteries for different power settings.

 Metal front end.

 Comes with a scope as standard kit.

 Great feeling glass-fibre material.

 Very easy to disassemble into the gearbox ( 4.5 mins ).

 Cheap mags are available ( MAG G36 100 rounds ).

Cons

 Front end not as solid as a full metal Armalite.

 Must purchase a G&P V-stock to utilize the weapon’s full potential.

 G&P’s V-stock doesn’t match CA’s color and texture perfectly.

 Hard to use scope ( short eye relief, small lenses, non-luminated reticule ).

 Scope’s windage and elevation spring must be changed to tougher springs.

 Flash supressor not the same texture as outer barrel.

 Slight flex in CA’s glass-fibre construction.

 Bolt is not full metal.

 Hard to use fixed external sights.

I have a CA G36K and I love it to death. My is 100% stock and I had it out at a game this past Sat and i was reaching out to guys that where at may range with 400 fps guns. Not bad for a 320 FPS gun! We also paced off the range and it looked like about a 65yard max range with .2g BB's. I have my scope zeroed in at 100 feet and it's dead on every time.

Generally when you have "60+" images, you should IMG post a few, but not all of them. Make external links to the rest, otherwise scrolling down will take a million years and be really annoying. Plus those of us without a broadband connection will die horrible deaths. But yeah, whatever. Nice review...

How's the gearbox and selector switch?  I've heard bad things about CA gearboxes, and I know from experience that their selector switches suck.

The Classic Army version 3 gearbox is excellent. It cycles smoothly with minimal noise. Excellent grease & shimming job.

The selector switch is not the best. There are no positive clicks to let you know that the switch has been moved.

The selector switch is not the best. There are no positive clicks to let you know that the switch has been moved.

This is what stopped me buying a CA G36 series AEG. I cannot live with the poor action of the selector. It's slightly better on the K than the C, but it's a an important detail that needs to be addressed.

EDIT - another small detail - spelling ;)

G36KE-V... The weapon system from G&P and Classic Army

“K” = carbine version of the G36 full length rifle.

“E” = export sight... no RDS or rail available above the magnified optic.

“V” = the rejected stock tested by the Norwegians.

Just a little add on that, because your designation terminology is wrong ;)

K = as above

E = formerly known as “Export”, now only stamped on Spanish made G36s/G36Ks

V = Variant. All G36s formerly knows a “E” are now “V”. The V has nothing to do with the retractable stock. Every G36 and G36K that is not a standard G36 and G36K (standard is: dual sight, long stock, standard handguard) is a G36V/G36KV (see HK homepage for reference www.heckler-koch.de)

So actually your gun is a G36KV, not a G36KE-V ;)

Here's another example for a G36KV (Aluminium carry handle/flip-up sights + G36C-Stock configuration):

G36K_V2_DSEI_2005_ArmyRecognition_01.jpg

Just a quick note:

- real G36 magazines squeak

- real G36s have visible molding lines

- real G36 handguards do wobble (flexible)

^^ What he said. But the wobble on the real G36 handguards depends on what type of handguard is used. The newer ones (with the hardpoints for rails) are much better than the olders.

But the wobble of the CA G36 handguard without that stupid plate will be much heftier than on a real gun. The only solution for this problem I found was to add some little parts of self-adhesive Velcro (well only the pile of the Velcro) on the body inside the handguard to get a tighter fit. Also an aftermarket handguard pin (G&P Steel pin e.g.) can add additional stability. With these little modifications even a G&G frontset will work without any additional plates and stabilizers.

I can't agree on that. The selector works properly on my G36C, including firm and positive clicks for every position.

Rayygis LasVegas you mentioned you cannot fold the stock with the battery in it, but is it still fully retractable or must you have it fully extended to fit the battery?

If you fit a large 8.4V 3000 mah battery in the stock, it is advised you don't extend the stock.

If you extend the stock, there will be too much room and the battery will move about.

You could solve this problem by placing padding on the sides of the battery to keep it stable.

As long as the battery is stationary when it's inside the stock, the extending/retracting characteristics would not be impeeded.

Just a little add on that, because your designation terminology is wrong ;)

K = as above

E = formerly known as “Export”, now only stamped on Spanish made G36s/G36Ks

V = Variant. All G36s formerly knows a “E” are now “V”. The V has nothing to do with the retractable stock. Every G36 and G36K that is not a standard G36 and G36K (standard is: dual sight, long stock, standard handguard) is a G36V/G36KV (see HK homepage for reference www.heckler-koch.de)

So actually your gun is a G36KV, not a G36KE-V ;)

Thanks for the extra knowledge. Too bad I can't edit my post...

I'll edit the post I have in AirsoftCanada however.

Do you have any more pics of the G36 series from that Milipol exibition? I went to the website but their calatog pdf files were not online.

If you fit a large 8.4V 3000 mah battery in the stock, it is advised you don't extend the stock.

If you extend the stock, there will be too much room and the battery will move about.

You could solve this problem by placing padding on the sides of the battery to keep it stable.

As long as the battery is stationary when it's inside the stock, the extending/retracting characteristics would not be impeeded.

thanks for the info :)

Archived