What am best...

Zero_DgZ

Here is something that perhaps could be best settled by census of the masses.

Here at the office I've been commisioned to replace our wireless access point because our old one got left in a factory in another state (intetionally - it's doing its job well enough, I imagine, though I wasn't on that project).

The old one was a Linsys WRT54G router. That's the point of contention. I hate that router with a passion.

I've used or serviced no less than ten of the things over the last year or so. I installed one at the store and it's been nothing but trouble, turning itself into a packet motel (data goes in but it never comes out...) at least once a day requiring me to climb up into the rafters where I daftly installed it to reset the blasted thing.

The one here at the office routinely refuses to hand out IP addresses through DHCP. I've worked on them at client's locations with similar impossible to pin down problems.

Here's the skinny: We already run a Win2k3 domain with a dedicated DHCP sever in our own IP space. We don't need a router, as such. Really, we need an access point to wireless-ify our existing network structure. The Linksys router was doing that, but honestly we don't need anything with DHCP or NAT built in.

Some routers, like this Netgear one I'm fighting with at the moment (to use as a stopgap) apprently won't work as an access point or a bridge, and now that I've told it not to assign its own IP's I've lost contact with it and can't configure it anymore.

I have a cheapo Belkin at home that does what I need and has been bulletproof since I bought it, but I can't find anyone selling them anymore.

So here's the gauntlet: Amongst the various geeks and wizards here, what kit do you recommend? Who makes your wireless router/access point? What have you had problems with that I should stay the hell away from?

Archived