US Spec Op helmets

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's brilliant mate, congrats.

Thank you. I redid the velcro retaining strapping for the strobe so that they are more inline with the 'correct' versions shown elsewhere in this thread. The single bit of Velcro was just to get it on there while I figured out a more secure attachment method.

I'll add another photo after I restock my FDE paint and reshoot the helmet.

My real SDS MICH (although the sticker was worn off so it could be an MSA or Gentex, all I know is it's real). Just applied Aluma Hyde II to it, so it's got about 7-10 days to fully dry in my warm closet. Color is Coyote, the photos kind of jack with the color.

When it sets up I'll install my real Norotos, Skydex pads/harness, MS2000, and velcro. In January I'll take photos with the real PVS14 attached.

Before:

airsoftparts019.jpg

airsoftparts020.jpg

In progress:

HelmetPaint01.jpg

HelmetPaint02.jpg

Edited by Titleist
How are you plannign on drilling the hole for the norotos?

With a drill? lol

Basically i found the center point, positioned my Norotos, used a center punch and a hammer to mark it, and used a power drill, fitted the mount, all good, removed it, and painted.

It's mainly because the helmet WAS a swat model, which is why it's black and not setup for the NVG mount.

But you can see the hole in this pic:

HelmetHole.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I don't tend to post Pictures but a broken leg and the utter boredom that follows during recovery allows me the time.

I resently purchased an SDS Warrior of ebay. Looked like it had been to Iraq and back, the harness looked as though it had blood stains even. Well I ditched that infavor of the Ops-Core X-harness. I also treated the helmet to several flavors of Brownells Alluma-Hyde II

1. Base coat of Desert Sand

2. Touches of Olive Drab

3. Patterns in Coyote Brown and FDE

Post paint

Helmets11-7-2007008.jpg

Helmets11-7-2007006.jpg

Helmets11-7-2007005.jpg

All dolled up

Gear12-8-2007019.jpg

Gear12-8-2007017.jpg

Gear12-8-2007016.jpg

no NVG mount yet, no hurry as I don't have NOD's yet but I do plan on a Norotos style mount for the future and a set of Oregon Aero pads.

Hope you like

iBAWLS

why so I have only read good things about the OA pads. Read good things about the Skydex as well

I've got two friends overseas right now, one is my room mate from college, and he tried both the OA and Skydex system, both are nearly the same except the Skydex doesn't stiffen up in colder weather.

Both are almost the same price, if you can nab the Skydex, I've got it and it's fantastic.

So, I've been looking at these helmets and it looks like you guys drop some serious cash to get the cool look. But hey, as long as you're satisfied, it's worth it, right?

I've been planning on buying a mich replica, because my Dad's pasgt helmet is uncomfortable and slides around alot when I'm running (Yes, it's properly adjusted).

I have a pretty big head, so do the foam pads on the helmet work like that matress stuff that compresses when pressure is applied to them? Or basically, are these helmets one size fits all?

I have both a replica MICH 2000 and IBH, and yeah, they do come in only 1 size.. I made some home made foam pads of the thickness best for my head, and just velcroed them in, now the IBH, which was as loose and as wobbly as anything, now fits quite nice, as the lining was really thin. The MICH replica I have had reeealy thick padding in it, but again, some chopping and changing and you can get them to fit pretty good

Edited by Delta_Knight

cheers for the info mav, youve reccomended www.supplycaptain.com to me a few times before over on AFUK. hopefully my helmet will be done within the month.

also, i dont know if it counts but if you look in my display avitar im wearing an IBH with british issue Peltor ear defenders which i gutted and drilled holes in so i can hear perfectly but still looks good lol. only thing is the peltors are a different shade of green to my helmet, some krylon will sort that out though. ill also prop pimp my IBH whilst im doing the protec and maybe a MICH if i get one in enough time, so watch out for thems!

EDIT:

www.supplycaptain.com have moved the IR patches to the military/law enforcement section... b****r

Edited by [Apex]
Well real ones come in multiple sizes, but I do not believe replica's do. Real ones have very thick interchangeable padding. Sorry, don't think I can help beyond that. I'm sure replica's have thinner padding and would fit though. (Unless your head is massive. ^_^ )

Thanks man, but my head isn't ridiculously large though, haha.

I'm actually thinking of getting a mich 2001 replica, those look nice, and I'm all for the enhanced hearing ability. You guys think I can get away with chopping up a regular pair of ear muffs made for leaf blowers and passing it off as some kind of fancy communication device? :P