US Spec Op helmets

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A bit of a necro post ...

This past weekend I got a chance to try out my new helmet and commo setup.

Helmet is a RS MICH 2001 with a Wilcox G10 mount and Wilcox PVS-14 Arm.

2001helmet03.jpg

2001helmet02.jpg

2001helmet01.jpg

To go in another topic, but the blade antenna is functional, foldable and extendable and gave us almost 3 times the range of the standard UHF antenna that came with the 5W Icoms. Every man in our team was an RTO! :D

To go in another topic, but the blade antenna is functional, foldable and extendable and gave us almost 3 times the range of the standard UHF antenna that came with the 5W Icoms. Every man in our team was an RTO! :D

What radio and headset combo are you using? Those real Peltors? Nice gun I have one just like it. :D What kind of scope do you have on it? I am using a Barska.

Edited by rws591

This is on an Icom? F4 or similar? If so, where did you get this antenna?

Can I please get some more info on this antenna working with an Icom?

PM me man

Will do!

What radio and headset combo are you using? Those real Peltors? Nice gun I have one just like it. :D What kind of scope do you have on it? I am using a Barska.

The radio is an Icom F21. Pretty much the entire team has them now and they are incredibly powerful (4 or 5W) and are so clear and crisp it's like talking on a landline. They're UHF so we can program them to go on the same frequencies as FRS/GMRS channels plus they have privacy channels too. We bring a laptop with the Icom software to our OPs and can have all 18+ radios reprogrammed in a matter of minutes. Worked out great so far.

The headset is a real Comtac II. My buddy is currently borrowing my real Comtac 1. I forgot the PTT but really only brought the headset for the pics. For the weekend itself I used my Cavalvy Bowman style headset which is still my favorite setup. The only real benefit for the Comtacs for me would be that they're both setup with dual comms, which for me, would be a plus as I'm currently the PLT SGT for the team so it'd be nice to have one side to talk to Squad Leaders and the other to talk to my PLT LT. In the end, I used the Cavalvy headset to talk to my Squad leaders (4 squad leaders with 10-12 guys under them), a spare radio in a front pocket with the volume turned down to listen in on the squad level commo, and just stayed near the PLT LT and interfaced with him directly. It worked, but for the future, I just ordered a speaker mic to go with my second radio which I'll use to listen in on squad level commo rather than just have the radio broadcast quietly from a pouch.

The antenna was a different matter. My buddy, "TheFlash" and I worked on several prototypes before we finally got something we were fully satisfied with. The entire length of the blade antenna (1 meter long) is functional, but the really hard part was figuring out a way to make the blade foldable repeatedly without creating permanent bends in it, and to be able to do that at any point along the blade. Some of our guys had it folded up like I have, some have it wrapping over their shoulder, a couple had it on the front of their rigs folded into an L shape ... all of which we've seen the real operators do. And we had to ensure that regardless of how they configured their blades, the blades must be able to take that in stride and cleanly snap back to full length when needed and stay that way. A lot easier said than done. In the second picture with the blade extended there's some rippling going on, but that's just a side affect from being folded for a long period of time and is only present in the rubber outer sheathing, not the structural materials within (and we've seen that happen to the real blades too). At the base of the blade antenna, there's a connector with a 2 foot extension cable attached to another connector that is attached to the radio itself. To attach the base of the blade antenna to the plate carrier rig, we threaded it through our pack's MOLLE webbing and then used shock cord + a cord lock to secure it in place. Another shock cord + cord lock is used to keep the blade folded when needed but can be un-cinched when full extension is required for additional range. I've seen real operators use wide rubber bands to do this, we just felt the shock cord was a more elegant solution. It's a really robust setup and we made dozen of them for the team. We're thinking about making more for resale as there was a lot of interest outside of our group for them. But they probably will cost about $80 (blade antenna, extension cable and all connectors terminating with a standard MX male connector which most 4+ watt radios have). Building them is pretty labor intensive and because the materials used are good and made to last that adds up too. On the plus side, I don't think anyone else in the airsoft community has a working/functional blade antenna ... so that's pretty cool :D

The scope on my KAC SR15E3 IWS, is a Millet 1-4x24 DMS in a LaRue SPR-E mount. Great scope with awesome eye relief!

Great, now I need this, plus two more F21's, one of those handsets, and I need to buy another COMTAC II.

Thanks a lot for the awesome!

ETA did it drain the batteries any faster?

I just realized this is totally the wrong topic to discuss this. If you want to PM, that's fine.

Edited by Kraut

A couple quick answers, no, it didn't drain the batteries any faster. ETA ... well TheFlash is about to do some traveling for a bit. Unless I can convince him to do another quick run of these before he leaves, it may have to wait till he gets back as it really is a two man job. Shouldn't be too long though. Also, just because we're using Icom F21s doesn't mean you have too too. They should be compatible with Icom F4s, Motorolas, basically any radio that has a MX or BNC detachable antenna. If the radio you use is detachable but doesn't have either MX or BNC type connection, the antennas will probably still work for you, you just need some type of BNC converter which are pretty easy to find online.

There is a protective rubber outer surface, but all the underlying structure is metal (and mostly steel).

Sale wise, we won't take orders until we have them in hand and ready to ship. Even though we made a dozen for the team, there was still another 5 or 6 people in the group still needing them. We'll probably do a production run of 24 and when they're ready it'll be on a first come first serve basis. This is pretty OT, so any further questions can be sent via PM, or conversed in the Commo thread when we post in there shortly. ;)

* BTW, the $80 for the blade antenna setup was an estimate. We still need to do the final calculations on how much these cost us. We initially made these just for ourselves but we made them from the standpoint that they should look, feel, and work professionally. We're actually kinda surprised about how much interest they've generated. We're definitely aiming to keep them under $100 shipped within the continental USA (we just don't want to be tied to the $80 price tag if it turns out to cost us more).

Dang uscmcorps! I have the exactly same comm setup as you do minus the blade antennae. I am so tempted to follow in your footsteps. I definitely my be asking in the future for help as I attempt to try and get the same results.

If people want to buy one from us, that's fine, but we're not giving away any how to's on how we made them. TheFlash and I spent enough of our own hard earned money and a cr@p ton of time R&D'ing these things in order to get them done right. If someone else wanted to make their own, they're more than welcome to invest their own money to figure out all the issues we encountered. ;)

All I know is, I have a lot of excess (and now useless) materials that I bought from various vendors trying to get these made right. A lot of trial and error went into these.

Edited by uscmCorps
ETA ... well TheFlash is about to do some traveling for a bit. Unless I can convince him to do another quick run of these before he leaves, it may have to wait till he gets back as it really is a two man job.

I was actually thinking about this and would like to try to get these on the way as soon as we can so that we can move on to other projects. But we need to check our supplies and see what raw materials we've depleted and what the delivery times can be. Hopefully we can get going on these before we forget how we made them.

Nice Tomo-where did you get the ANVIS mount and ANVIS, if they're real?

Got the mount and the LPBP (they are both real) from ebay, took a few attempts but I eventually won a set.

The Anvis-9 is a repro set, and was a one off deal.