Tanaka M700 AICS Review

I just got back from shooting her, finally, so I thought I'd do a full write up on it.

First Impressions: I had to wait a day later than I was hoping because no one was home to sign for the four foot box on wednesday. HOwever, when I got home Thursday, I grabbed it out of the poor man's hands, and ran with it, hastily grabbing a knife to cut off that damned green paper on the box. When I did, however, I was ASTOUNDED.

There she lay, in all her beauty. Well, in a plastic bag. The guys at redwolf were nice enough to stick lots of padding bits in the box, which was sparse of protection normally. I lifted it out with both hands and was stunned. The thing weighs 10 pounds, because it's make entirely of a heavu plastic and aluminum or steel. It is an absolute beast to hold.

I immediately cycled the bolt, and was overjoyed at how easy it was. A three year old with basic motor skills could cycle this thing - and it sounds like a real rifle too when you do so. So for five minutes, cycle, click, cycle, click, so on, so forth.

Construction: This is a MASTERPIECE. There's no other way to describe it. The plastic is the same exact color as Accuracy International OD. There's an aluminum skeleton the entire length of the stock, holding everything together in a package you could swing by the barrel (If you like a 10-pound baseball bat) and it would feel nothing. NOTHING. Full metal barrel, which is actually free floated. Well, it seems so, but it is actually bolted into the stock at one point, but the stock doesn't flex, so it won't mess up your shots.

The bolt is full metal, and is easily removable from the rifle to adjust the PCS, which is very, very convienient. The trigger mech is either steel or very high quality pot metal,and it won't be breaking anytime soon. The trigger is fantastic and light, but I wish I could adjust it for a stroke longer than three millimeters. I can, supposedly, but no one has told me how.

Overall, it's a rock, a very sexy rock.

Performance: I first loaded the rifle with .2's and 134a, and began to test it. With those two variables and the PCS closed halfway (I think) on a 60-65 degree day, I achieved speeds which appeared to be very fast. Oh, for this review, I have no chrono, and the recycling bin was just emptied, so no cans to test it on. Anyway, it puts out a fast bb, albeit unstable. Then, propane and .2s, same result.

Here's the fun bit. .29 SGMs from my VSR10, and propane. OH MY GOD. This thing will send those like nothing before. I estimate about.....450-500 FPS with those rounds and the same PCS setting. I was easily getting a flat flight path out to at least 300 feet. Oh, yeah. THe hopup. I don't see why tanaka rifles are said to have a bad hopup. It seems perfectly fine; more consistent than my VSR, actually.

Accuracy wise, this thing is unfaultable. I was able to sight it in at 275 feet, and hit a foot wide tree 4/5 times. Keep in mind, the human head is 12 inches across, normally. I can readjust for closer shots in a heartbeat, as well.

Conclusion: If you have the money to spend, want a sniper rifle, are thinking about a VSR10, buy this rifle. If you get as lucky as I did with quality, it will quickly become your favorite weapon.

PS: I apologize for the lack of pics. The three I have are in the Sniper Rifles pictures thread.

Hehe, i got mine the other day . . . cycle, click, cycle, click . . .

I have to agree with everything you said about the construction, it's just plain gorgeous.

I haven't tested it properly but the few shots i've put through it were really fast. I was using .2s so they were a tad unstable, i'll see what i get with something heavier.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had mine for about a week now, very nice gun unfortunately i only had 0.25g bbs so it wasnt that accurate at range also my scopes off by rather alot, very heavy to carry around all day but its worth it. Any way i was wondering how to adjust the the power control system do you have to remove the bolt to change the power or can you do it with the bolt still in the gun but with the mag out, i tried to change it through the mag hole but couldnt turn it i just kept on breaking my nail.

You've gotta take the bolt out, and then unscrew a 1.5mm grub screw in the bolt, so the little dial can move. unfortunately, mine is stuck all the way open. So I'm either hurting people, or HURTING people, depending on what gas I use.

you need to take the bolt apart if you jammed it open.

you arent supposed to open the PCS all the way, its specifically designed so you get maximium power when its about 75% of the way back, after that it creates an airpocket behind the mech and you actually lose power.

besides a scope what accesories are availible for this?

can it accept the APS-2 bipod mount?

Actually. the only accessory available for it is the bipod adapter. Everything else is general purpose stuff. The adapter isn't required if you plan on mounting to the sling swivel. Just make sure your scope rings can be moved to mount to the rail, since it's not very long.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually. the only accessory available for it is the bipod adapter.  Everything else is general purpose stuff.  The adapter isn't required if you plan on mounting to the sling swivel.  Just make sure your scope rings can be moved to mount to the rail, since it's not very long.

Your right about the bipod adapter BUT the Maruzen l96 bipod will fit with a little fileing and looks just as well and un-noticable and still 1000 times better than a harris bipod

Question: Is it possible to attain 460 (+/- 50) fps using 134a with this rifle? I'm informed that the action is somewhat flimsy and may not be up to continuous green gas usage. Or can I use green and just put the PCS to minimum?

Anybody having trouble with this gun shooting well of the the right, mine shoots so far off the the right i cant adjust my scope enough to compensate. is there any way of re-aligning the barel to get it fireing straight?

Try flipping your rings around and see if that helps. If not, I'd try to shim the scope/ring/mount base to get the scope looking in approximately the same direction as the bore.

Question: Is it possible to attain 460 (+/- 50) fps using 134a with this rifle? I'm informed that the action is somewhat flimsy and may not be up to continuous green gas usage. Or can I use green and just put the PCS to minimum?

it's an m700 action. the same action in the m24 was good for 500 fps on 134a. a good idea if you want to use higher powered gases is to purchase a g&g powerpack which will cover the bolt assembly and two magazines. be warned tho that this setup on red gas will put you into extremely high fps territory.