SA80 Picture Thread

Doesnt look like he "needs" the 20mm adaptor. the rest of his sights seem to fit the dovetail well enough.

I should really get a SUSAT for my A2 though and a new battery. And dont supose you guy still want me to post up the guide to converting thereal steel A2 hand guard. Seeing as the A2 handguard by star will be available soon.

Grim

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The aimpoint doesn't fit so good (becaus of the mount) but the trijicon reflex fits rock solid.

The "dovetail" rial on G&G L85A2 is basicly half a Weaver rail, as far as i know real dovetail rails are much narrower than this one.

Sorry to take the thread a little off subject here guys but does anyone own the STAR L85A2 AFV? Im seriously considering going for one of these, as god help me, i love its looks. If anyone does, or knows someone that does where does the custom battery install? I know its in the foregrip of the A1 and A2 but there is no such room on the AFV, any ideas? Help would be really appreciated as reviews on these AEGs arent exactly common.

Ive got to say VooDoo that looks pretty damn tasty with the red-dot on it! I download the manual from Stars website so ive got a good guide on how to install the batt, etc. I had a feel of one of these in my local shop the other day. Got mine on order from HK now! Cant wait for it to arrive! Question - what spring did you use to downgrade it?

Its so much fun and the Eotech is perfect for it.

I've just got a systema 1J spring fitted - downgrading is so easy on this weapon

Batterries are a little fiddly - it fits in ok but you have to push the wires back into it with a screwdriver or allen key. Try and push the connectors into the space below the battery alongside the barrel.

It just nails everyhting you shoot at.

G

When i was in my local shop i couldnt get over how solid the AFV was. Not plastic, not poor metal alloy but STEEL!

Yeah ive been reading through guides on downgrading the STAR L85s and your right, it doesnt seem hard in the slightest.

Whats the accuracy like? Did you keep the barrel stock?

Cheers for any info by the way guys, ive been softing for years but have very little experience with anything that isnt TM personally.

Edited by Ghola

it's still got the stock barrel in it but im fairly sure its a tight barrel anyway - it certainly shoots fine. Not had chance to measure any groups but certainly accurate and consistant. Cos its a bullpup the barrel is M4/G36K length but length isn't that much more than the P90. Weight is comfortable and feel is awesome. With the Eotech on its not too heavy and is easily manageble for cqb

I didnt get to have a look at the AFV with any scopes on it as out of the box they arent mounted on there. My local shop arent exactly the friendliest bunch so i was hesitant to ask. As soon as i get mine delivered ill post some pics up on here as at the moment all im doing is talking! Once paypal gets itself sorted (9 days to clear???) then itll be on its way and i can test it out.

Since this weapon was supposed to be issued to vehicle crews and helicopter pilots does anyone want to talk loadouts? I cant imagine a crew would use PLCE, would something like a chest-rig be more in order? Ive read that they are being used soley by appache pilots at the moment but that was just website info, so unverified.

official issue for vehicle crews was supposed to be 2 20r mags + 2 30r mags in a specially made assault vest. Operationally though most tankies just stick with NI chest rig or standard vest. Most of the tankies out in the dust bowl are doing infantry work anyway and are issued with L85/L86 and Minimi like them. Personally i'm just sticking with basic british DPM and not doing anything special - I just went with the AFV for the compact killing machine qualities.

l'd say do something thats just basic generic british loadout and just go for the weapon cos you like it and its practical.

Pic 1

Pic 2

That was pretty much what i was thinking myself. An assault vest seems like a nice idea but its also an expensive one. A friend is going back to Afghanistan soon, i might have to ask him to tell me what he sees concerning this stuff.

Above is what im going to go for my my loadout. Its a normal PLCE rig. Double ammo pouch on the left containing a total of 6 G+P mags. A general purpose pouch on the right with a canteen, speed loader, some extra rounds and the first mag into the gun. On the back is a mag dump-pouch. I forget the make, one of the well-knowns. Gaurder?

Im getting quite fond of PLCE you know. Its alot more comfy to lie down with compared to chest rigs and such. Can be a bif fiddly to close pouches though. If anyone has any experience with PLCE feel free to pick my wearing of it appart. I need some tips to be honest.

I'd lose the dump pouch, we used to stuff spent mags down the front of your smock :)

Or the 'Brecon Pocket' as its known.

Yep brecon pocket is the way forward, saves wasting money on a pointless (IMHO) dump bag. And one less thing hanging off your kit to get snagged on the bondu.

As much as i appreciate the info guys im going to keep the dump pouch. I find that thing to be one of the most useful pieces of kit ive got. It doesnt snag on anything that ive been through yet and ive found it to be alot quicker to get rid of spent mags. But live and learn. If when i next go out i find it to be an issue ill change and maybe try throwing them down my top! Although a green one might be better....

Quick question though Gadge and Eddie, how do you stop them falling out the bottom of the smock? :P Im assuming its sealed to your belt or trousers in some way? Im not a soldier and never have been so as stupid as it sounds, i honestly dont know how it would work!

Paypal has finally decided to start sorting itself out, so ill have the AFV soon with a bit of luck.

Cheers for the info guys.

Smock drawcords done up tight around your waist and as gadge said, you webbing belt should be plently tight enough to stop mags falling out anyway.

It'd be worth picking up a couple more util pouches and a 2nd double ammo. That way you'll not only have space for a water bottle and more ammo/mags but you'll be able to bungee/strap all the pouches together. This makes the webbing much more stable and solid.

Also, a roll pin belt is a must IMO. So much better than the standard PLCE belt.

If you think they'll be useful I'll put up some pics of my setup to give you some ideas. Failing that there are plently of very good setups around the pic threads already.