SA80 Picture Thread

I have a question about the LSW version fot eh L85, why is there a vertical grip behind the mag? How do they use that?

Most bipod mounted weapons are fired with the off-hand over the rear of the receiver for added stability. If you do that on the LSW, you'll loose your fingers. So they put the rear hand grip on there so you have something to grab.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most bipod mounted weapons are fired with the off-hand over the rear of the receiver for added stability. If you do that on the LSW, you'll loose your fingers. So they put the rear hand grip on there so you have something to grab.

Thanks for the explaination. I never made that realization.

I always liked the L85, but they are too expensive for my blood.

Great guns.

I would have bought the Star LSW when it came out but I went into London to have a look at one and the bipod and barrel support are all wrong.

The holes in the support are the wrong shape, there is no clip to lock the legs up and worst of all, the real bipod locks out so you can lean into it and it won't fold, the Star one will just collapse.

That let me down, I am hoping the proposed G+G kit sorts that problem out.

Just got the a1 BFA to fit onto my STAR a2, took bloody ages of filing away at it with a metal file so I'm giving my arms a rest before I try to make it a better shape.

Before - 2007051538701vb0.jpg

After - 2007051658547cm4.jpg

Fits well and with the exception of a few scuffs around the barrel no damage to the gun, the pin thingy in the middle isn't long enough to reach the barrel but it still fits ok.

2007051658465rb4.jpg

I'm sure the ring is too big on the flash eliminator - but can be turned down. I've seen SA80 bayonets fixed on some airsoft replicas though - must be the HFC springer.

How does the BFA attach to the STAR rifle then?

I haven't fitted it on properly as such, the part in the middle that (I assume) fits into the barrel on the real steel is too short to reach the inner barrel on the STAR.

I just filed down the C shaped part that fits around the barrel until it would fit on tight enough to grip the barrel fairly well and then pushed the BFA towards the rear of the gun to make the gap between it andd the end of the flash hider almost non-existent (eliminating any wobble).

If I had more time, money and expertise I suppose you could make something to lock it in place properly, if I was running around and moving my gun around a lot it would probably come loose and start moving about, it's just for looks and in the safe zone I guess.

Edit - After June I'll be spending more cash on gear, so I'll probably get a bayonet to try and fit.

Edited by Zink
Out of interest, and i wouldnt try it on site before i get flamed... but does the issue real bayonet fit on a Star sa80?

Not that you should do it at all during a game or even think of taking a sharp kinfe to an airsoft site. You can put the SA80 Bayonet can fit on both L85 rifles, STAR and G&G with filing down the flashhider, looks the *beep* though. How do i know? i have seen it done.

Edited by Little para
Too right, Its stupid to take a real knife to a skirmish site where there are kids as young as 12.

I really don't think there should be 12 year olds skirmishing, I'd refuse to play on a site if I knew there was anyone that young playing.

I don't understand knife kills either, can't you just do a 'bang kill'?

My site does not allow knives or bayonets. Real or fake. I think its a good rule. But like LJ, I like having the frog and scabbard on my PLCE. As for kids, as long as there is a responsible parent with them, I have no problem.

Whilst I agree with you, your argument is a bit daft. By that tune someone could bring a real gun/air rifle and try and get a normal kill with it.

Knives have a practical use if the site requires an element of fieldcraft, but I can't see any real need for one other than overnight games. And they don't need to be massive bayonets, which of course are designed for stabbing people rather than as normal tools.

Anyone got any nice L85's then? :P