SA80 Picture Thread

Hey, I'm trying to do this too, but for the upcoming ICS one. Would you mind sharing the pictures with me too. For that matter, keep us (or at least me please) updated on your progress if it's not too much trouble. How are you planning to do it?

When i am done i'll post a project in the appropriot forum. I am basing mine on an academy SA80.

current plan is sheet steel. i have a 2foot(ish) piece to cut away at to make the parts. The way the academy is designed there is a plastic block inside the front guard, its very strong and can take the weight of the gun, i will attach all the external parts to this.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When i am done i'll post a project in the appropriot forum. I am basing mine on an academy SA80.

current plan is sheet steel. i have a 2foot(ish) piece to cut away at to make the parts. The way the academy is designed there is a plastic block inside the front guard, its very strong and can take the weight of the gun, i will attach all the external parts to this.

That's a good plan. What thickness sheet steel are you going to use? Also, I have some pictures and diagrams, that might be of use to you. They're all available on the web in various locations, but I collected them in order to study how the frontend was attached to the STAR model. Seeing as how you're using the Academy as a base though, I'm sure the method for attachment would be different. Either way, if you want them, just let me know.

EDIT: I was thinking of milling mine out of aluminum. I have access to a CnC mill that I only need to pay materials for (perks of RPI), but I'm waiting to get my ICS L85 so that I can figure out how to attach it. Also, I have no measurements of any kind for it. Those would be helpful.

Also, I wonder what I could use as a barrel, since I will need a shorter one. Do you think a short M4 barrel would suffice?

...If only there was a way to get replacement parts from STAR...

Edited by xlizer

Sheet thickness, i honestly can't remember. I baught it half on a whim from BnQ a month or so ago, and i threw away the packet so i can't find out without using mesuring tools that i don't have (tape mesure is not accurate enough i think)

Please let me have the diagrams, ill PM my e-mail to you.

academy front end uses a block with two screws mounted sideways through the front of the reciever, the block runs the entire lenght of the front end and has a bolt hole for the front of the hand guard.

its kinda roughly 1"x2" (not exact)

the outer barrel is the same, take it from the front of the l85, remove grip, attach new grip, attach outer barrel to l22.

thats what i am doing with mine (either that or a silencer)

yea, a STAR front end would be the easy option (but very expensive, it would probably cost more than my saty :P)

the outer barrel is the same, take it from the front of the l85, remove grip, attach new grip, attach outer barrel to l22.

thats what i am doing with mine (either that or a silencer)

yea, a STAR front end would be the easy option (but very expensive, it would probably cost more than my saty :P)

I was under the impression that the L22 barrel was shorter. Does the L85 barrel screw apart into shorter sections?

And I know the STAR frontend would be expensive, but it's kind of a moot point as nobody sells the part.If you've ever seen it, please let me know.

inner barrel is 12" shorter, you will need a new one (unles you are ok with sawing it)

Outer barrel from the front of the handguard on the l85, is the same as from the front of the l22 (give or take a half inch)

Oh, I hadn't realized that the barrel is segmented there. I was under the impression that it continues the whole way through. I think this is unique to the Academy version.

Oh, I hadn't realized that the barrel is segmented there. I was under the impression that it continues the whole way through. I think this is unique to the Academy version.

Aha, i hadn't thought of that. The outer barrel only goes a tiny way into the handguard on the acadmey.

I think youd be better off getting the real deal a2 forearm, look on ebay they have a couple, but im not sure if theyll ship to the states.

The star sa80 has a completely different forearm design compared to the G&G, the G&G splits to aid battery installation, and the star does not. Not sure if this will affect compatabilty, but its worth noting. Maybe try to find someone local with a star saty and try to put the stock handguard on the G&G. If it works buy the a2 grip.

Ugh, i love L85s. But i'm blind in my right eye...so if i buy one, i'll have to disable the blowback and use it left handed..and get wierd looks....

just go with a middle east loadout (we have sold allmost as many as we have kept) and fire from the hip/ over the head.

• 2 weeks later...