SA80 Picture Thread

Course, it's possible that a squad of Engineers might come under fire while fixing a road or water pipese etc so there's no guarantees.

Engineers will use iron sights on exercise all depending on regiment, i have yet to see a picture of an engineer on a recent tour with iron sights. Royal Engineers are a combat role on tour and are thus issued with Susats.

Did anyone manage to add the DD ras to e.g an ICS L85a2 in the meantime?

On an italian board they are still discussing if it`s possible...

i believe Ubar is the only forum member to have fitted the rail so far and his rifle is a star

Edited by Parsley
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone manage to add the DD ras to e.g an ICS L85a2 in the meantime?

On an italian board they are still discussing if it`s possible...

Much as I wish it was possible with the ICS, the quick release button it uses at the top front of the handguard means the overall structure of the front end is very different to the real thing, hence I can't see a rail unit fitting without an impractical amount of modification work. Until ICS themselves (or another airsoft specific manufacturer) make an appropriate reproduction I think we're stuck with plastic.

The Star L85 however attaches it's handguards with the bolt going through to the sling point, same as the real thing, hence why it's possible to get the RIS on there.

Back to the pictures ladies.

DSC04053.jpg

DSC04043.jpg

My upgraded Army L85 with a real steel Aimpoint Comp M2, and a flashlight I added to the side. There's a whole bunch of other little mods I did, like the sling mount on the front flash hider, and I replaced the rear pin with a bolt.

Edited by SuperJesus37

I've used one of those elcans, it was pretty good. Admittedly it was mounted on a G36C, but the sight was pretty good. I couldn't tell how much heavier than a SUSAT it was 'cos the G36 is so light. The sight was pretty good though - wider field of view and all that good stuff, and with the feature of throwing a lever turns the sight into a RDS.

I've used one of those elcans, it was pretty good. Admittedly it was mounted on a G36C, but the sight was pretty good. I couldn't tell how much heavier than a SUSAT it was 'cos the G36 is so light. The sight was pretty good though - wider field of view and all that good stuff, and with the feature of throwing a lever turns the sight into a RDS.

Not quite, the one being looked at is apparently 4x only and not the adjustable 1/4x version, and has a worse FOV on paper than both the acog and the susat...

Elcan spectre - 6.5°

Acog TA31 - 7°

Susat - 10°

Im hearing roumers that the acog has been dropped and procurement of a new combat scope for the SA80 is going to the elcan, aparently its a really ugly version (plus no airsoft copy yet)

the Acog was never "dropped" as it was a uor and was never supported in the first place. The Elcan is a long term replacement for the SUSAT. Our version is a fixed x4 mag with a piggy backed red dot, with throw arms levers for mounting.

It has a battery powered reticule in the main sight with various levels of brightness (pretty much turning it into a x4 red dot) which can be turned off. I dont know if this is standard with other Elcans as ive only seen a couple of variants but it works pretty well.

Darkchild

the Acog was never "dropped" as it was a uor and was never supported in the first place. The Elcan is a long term replacement for the SUSAT. Our version is a fixed x4 mag with a piggy backed red dot, with throw arms levers for mounting.

It has a battery powered reticule in the main sight with various levels of brightness (pretty much turning it into a x4 red dot) which can be turned off. I dont know if this is standard with other Elcans as ive only seen a couple of variants but it works pretty well.

Darkchild

I didn't word it very well did i :P. Anyway, do you know exactly what variant of Elcan is going to be used? I'd like to try finding one.