SA80 Picture Thread

Nice one Nick, is that the 130-dollar job from EHobby? How do you rate it? I'm looking at getting one of those as part of my bulk-buy when I get back to the UK.

Like the rail on the top cover, is that an 'official' thing, or you just happened to realise you could bodge one on there?

Btw, what mags do you use? Mid-Cap or Hi-Cap?

Edited by Rosco151
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it's the expensive one, but I got it from RSOV. It's a good scope too. Wider field of view, nice and clear, good reticule, which can be red/green illuminated too.

The rail is a bodge job, just rummaged around in my bits box one day, found that rail and had an idea - which worked. It'll do the job until ICS get round to releasing their rail system anyway.

Generally I prefer to use midcaps, but this gun can be a bit fussy, so I always carry the supplied hi-caps just in case it doesn't like my mids.

• 3 weeks later...

That silencer doesn't go with it either...

As opposed to the new look of the L85 as I am, that ICS doesn't look too bad, and having seen one in the flesh a while back it's annoyingly good. The ability to take a large battery from the off puts it slightly ahead of my STAR version, and so far the chap that owns the ICS has not had a complaint (which is odd for ICS in my experience!).

Will have to get some pics of my L85 at some point - nothing special, just a STAR A2 with original (A1) foregrip, SUSAT on top (GAO version) and a black NSN'd sling.

Generally I prefer to use midcaps, but this gun can be a bit fussy, so I always carry the supplied hi-caps just in case it doesn't like my mids.

All mid-caps ive tried in my STAR l85a2 wont feed, if they do its intermittantly, really annoying as i only can use Real-caps which feed every time! Can anyone reccommend a hi/lo-cap that will feed all the time?

I too use the STAR Midcaps - say 110rnd, but expect to get about 70-90rnds in them! Feed fine, with the occassional hiccup, but that's only to be expected with injected-moulded plastic :D

Tight fit in the magwell though, but I think that's a plus, as my RG mag that came with the L85 seems to wobble a fair bit when loaded?! Have got a few MAG midcaps as well, but haven't tested them with it yet - may gave them a go this weekend ;) Also got 2x AimTop hicaps, so will give those a test too. Will post up a quick mag-test review either Sunday night or Monday.

I'm not a big fan of hicaps these days, as the rattle is annoying as, and having to wind is just a ballache. Added to that you don't get to fill out your webbing, and it's all together a nasty business. Midcaps ftw!

I believe i have used MAG (i think, they're black with HK trades, they look exactly like my real-caps), star and some random ACM mags, all of which are very tempermental and i just cant rely on them, im getting one of the Star l85 supplied mags and see if that works, weird thing is redwolf say the star/ares comes supplied with this mag but on the page it says its for the Shooters L85a2 series does this just mean ares/star? http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Magazines_SHOOTER_AEG_Std_Shooter_130rds_Magazine_for_L85A2_Series.htm

I guess so, they say "By Ares" so i assume its yet another trading name.

The RG mags are good, i've used them in an Star SA80, AGM HK416, G&P M16 & an A&K M249 sidefeed with no problems.

Have about 13 of them knocking around cause they're so good!

Edited by -Angel-

Yes Mihail, that's the STAR/ARES "Radway Green" (RG) mag for the L85 ;)

You can tell because it's slightly different in appearance to other STANAG (read: M4/16) mags in that the indents are rounded at the bottom and have an actual termination point, it has a visibly separate baseplate (plastic as opposed to the metal body) and the body is a gloss black.

They should fit fine, although mine has a bit of play in it when inserted into the magwell of my STAR L85. No feed problems thus far though, but the internal spring is damned stiff - only just starting to get near the stated capacity.

my star l85a2...

starl85a2small2.jpg

with acog

starl85a2acog2.jpg

i've got it used, with this odd looking sling, which i've meanwhile replaced with a sterling sling, the proper sling should arrive next week. then i'll probably replace the a1 foregrip with the a2 model. today i recieved the real steel front sling attachment, which fits perfectly, i've only to replace the screw.

the previous owner solved the magazine wobbling problem by gluing a velcro strap on the inner-right side of the mag-well, it doesn't move at all and it doesn't fall out by pressing the relase button, i've to extract it.

i've used ics 450bb hicaps and marui 190bb mag along with the factory midcap without any problems...

I find the king arms mid caps are ok. Never had a miss fed but had to tape the tips to stop them rattling.

On a different note. Anybody know where I can get a lsw butt plate and shoulder rest for the ares l85a2. Can't find one anywhere.

I believe that Fire-support will either have it in stock or be able to sort you out. They have a pretty extensive list of L85 parts in stock.

Mag review update:

Ok guys, got a chance to test a few different mags with my Star L85A2 today. First off, the RG (Radway Green) 130rnd metal midcap that came with the rifle - fed flawlessly, has now just about reached fill capacity (spring tension), and was brilliant. Next up, the Star 85rnd plastic M4 mags - again, fed flawlessly and pretty much reach fill capacity. Finally, the AimTop 300rnd metal hicaps - feed problems all day, took forever to wind up and kept randomly falling out of the damn magwell?! The *worst* mags I've ever had the misfortune to use, and that includes the JG G3 hicap that fell apart on me!

So there you go chaps - buyer beware on the AimTop's, but Star mids are good to go ;)

I believe that Fire-support will either have it in stock or be able to sort you out. They have a pretty extensive list of L85 parts in stock.

Well Jackson (sorry big stargate fan too) I've been in touch with them, they are the best shop I know. Endless pool of knowledge for this noob. But alas they can not source one. It's sadly down to a rs one if they fit or as they said to me. Wait a few month and try again as they are in talks with ares.

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone bought the grenade launcher for the l85 and if so was it worth £195? i ask because i would like to see photos if anyone has :)

see page 46, and i have owned one my self and loved it but i sold it due to money troubles :( would defineitatley buy another without hesitation but i bought mine cheaper, cant remeber where from tho,

rg

has anyone bought the grenade launcher for the l85 and if so was it worth £195? i ask because i would like to see photos if anyone has :)

IMO no launcher is worth anything like that kind of money, all launchers are massivly overprice for what they are: a tube and some levers.

The star AG36 is rather a good quality one, though, and does feal quite nice to hold. I'd say, if you have the money, and want one, get it! All it can do is dissapoint you and tire your arms with its weight :P.