SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite the rumor some people have entirely made up, there's no such thing as an L85A3, or at least that isn't the designation given to an A2 with the railed handguard.

The polymer body may become the A3. I think thats what he meant, I agree, it may work that way.

If it does end up properly entering service then quite possibly, but if that does happen it'll be a while away because they can't go back to issuing a rifle with as many problems as the A1 had when it's supposed to be 2 iterations superior.

It'd be good for airsoft though where a decent plastic body is much more viable, would make '85 RiFs a lot lighter, and probably cheaper.

If it does end up properly entering service then quite possibly, but if that does happen it'll be a while away because they can't go back to issuing a rifle with as many problems as the A1 had when it's supposed to be 2 iterations superior.

You really think that will stop them?

Honestly, yes; and believe me I've been in long enough now to have accumulated plenty of pessimism as far as most subjects are concerned. If it does emerge it'd almost certainly take a few years, by which time elections will be starting to loom and with the frequency of the press headlining "UK troops die due to lack of proper kit in Afghanistan" the guys in power really won't want anything that's unreliable going in to the field. That's an issue that's particularly easy to sex-up in a news article and convince people of your point even when they know nothing about firearms. But anyway, airsoft, like I say a plastic L85 (obviously one that's based on something real rather than just being cheaper than metal) would make an ideal skirmish weapon far as I'm concerned.

Ah, but the AUG is convertible for left or right handed use in only a few minutes with basic tools and no additional parts. :D

"only a few minutes" is a very long time in a combat situation. You would have to send a fire team in with half the AUGs set up for left hand corners, the other half for right hand.

HK was experimenting with a system that was literally a flick of a switch to change the direction of spent brass, you just had to make sure it was set the right way when you make ready or >.< ouch. Its just a shame HK decided against building bulpups or we'd have it by now.

I never complained that an L85 AEG is too heavy, far from it. I'm fine with the RS and my ICS weighs less than that, but personally I'm not actually all about realism with my airsoft, and since it's what I do with my spare time (as opposed to being in work) I prefer it to be less strenuous where possible.

Only thing I don't like about it is the weight (RS). Seriously.

Am I the only one seeing the irony of a complaint of guns being to heavy ie real weight, when we hear so many comments on the achievement of "realism" in this hobby.

Nige

Yes, you are. I was talking about the weight of the real steel weapon in answer to the previous question 'What's not to like about it?'. After handling and firing (real steel) Armalites, AUGs and G36s, the SA80 is very heavy in comparison. That's what I was talking about - the only thing I don't like about the SA80 is the weight.

"only a few minutes" is a very long time in a combat situation. You would have to send a fire team in with half the AUGs set up for left hand corners, the other half for right hand.

Er, no. It's for adjusting to suit left- or right-handed shooters, not for changing in a combat situation. You know whether you're left- or right-handed, you set up the weapon accordingly.

Unlike the SA80 which has only right-handed versions available. Although rumours persist of left-handed versions having been made in limited numbers, but they're about as common as unicorn feathers. :unsure:

Edited by Hedganian

Some very nice guns in this thread. Stay tuned, will ad mine shortly ;)

Some questions though. Do anyone of you know if the Star l85 plastic gearbox is longer than regular v2/v3 gearboxes? The reason I'm asking is because i just added a m125 spring and only get around 364 fps. With that spring, I should be getting results above 400 fps. The gun is bone stock internally except for the spring, a madbull black python v2 precision barrel and a fresh guarder bucking and spacer. I just stripped it and checked for airleaks. Did the dental floss "mod" to the bucking. It's nearly 100% air tight as it is.

Another question. Does anyone have any experience with putting one of these onto the sa80?

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessories/flash-hiders/king-arms-m14-direct-connect-dc-vortex-flash-hider.html

It appears to have the threading some 10 mm inside, just like the sa80 flashhider.

Would make a nice substitute until someone makes a copy of the real vortex flashhider.

Very happy with my ICS L85 so far, after sorting the initial low-velocity problem (plastic fouling in the barrel and a dodgy hop rubber). Just got hold of a Li-Po for it (7.4v 1900mah), as one of the Ni-Cads had already died and wasn't too confident how long the other would last.

I have one question - by anyone elses experience, could I safely use an 11.1v LiPo in my ICS?

My understanding is that too high a voltage will increase the rate of fire to the point that it begins to shred any internals that can't take the strain. The 7.4v doesn't seem to have significantly increased the rof against the 8.4v Ni-Cad I was using, so am curious if it could take an 11.1v.

Very happy with my ICS L85 so far, after sorting the initial low-velocity problem (plastic fouling in the barrel and a dodgy hop rubber). Just got hold of a Li-Po for it (7.4v 1900mah), as one of the Ni-Cads had already died and wasn't too confident how long the other would last.

I have one question - by anyone elses experience, could I safely use an 11.1v LiPo in my ICS?

My understanding is that too high a voltage will increase the rate of fire to the point that it begins to shred any internals that can't take the strain. The 7.4v doesn't seem to have significantly increased the rof against the 8.4v Ni-Cad I was using, so am curious if it could take an 11.1v.

What's the C rating on your 7.4v pack? Generally, a 20C 7.4v lipol should perform similarly to a 'large' 9.6v pack, it's more about the motor not being throttled due to a lack of A from the battery than volts sending the ROF any more crazy than a 12V pack NiMh would do (11.1v pack peaks at 12.75v depending on cells, while back a member called Stealthbomber compared an 8.4 to a 9.6 and the increase was 2rps so you can more or less work out what increase you can get if you know what your RPS is now)

The ICS Turbo 3000 is more a torque than speed motor so even with a unregulated 11.1v the only issue I would foresee is double shots on semi (current/motor torque issue) and premature engagement if you don't take off two teeth from the piston - that and contact arcing.

So, yes, it can take an 11.1v pack but how long it lasts is a different matter...

CKinnerly you have no idea how jealous I am of that Spectre :P

Thanks for the informed reply RSM, much appreciated. The battery is 25C discharge I believe, so the motor should be getting more than enough power. Your point about the ICS motor being more torque than speed is something I hadn't considered before, and that certainly seems to be what's happening here. I'll hook the battery up to one of my mates M4's, they're running LiPos and getting much higher rof than me. If they get the same kind of rof, then that'll be that.

That said, do I need to retain that ICS motor for any technical reason? Could I exchange it for a motor that'll get that rof increase from the LiPo without causing other issues if that high-torque motor has been used for a reason.