SA80 Picture Thread

Well my gun was finally released from customs.I got the mag release guard welded on & sent the gun off to airsoftworld scotland on Friday for an upgrade of the piston & gears & got it back this morning {how's that for service?} so now the gun works properly.

I've added the RAS & grip pod & barring a sling i'm good to go.

Army Armaments R85 A2 with RAS

R85A212.jpg

R85A211.jpg

R85A210.jpg

R85A215.jpg

R85A213.jpg

Edited by rolling-thunder
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rsov have the new scope mount of pre order http://new.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=4&manufacturerId=10&prodId=13743&cateId=191 not sure i'll be able to buy off there again if my paypal dispute goes through for missing pieces?

ernesto,does the mag work or is it for show?

The Airsoft SA-80s I've seen come with mag catch guards. All the RS L85A1s had them, that's one of the things that made them A1s, and of course the L85A2s all have them.

You are confusing the yankie and british upgrade names. with the L85 the origonal version was the "A1" and the HK upgrade made it "A2" all the other upgrades like the scope and front ends are not applied to either/or.

IIRC the mag catch guard was one of HKs upgrades, making them only appear on A2s, but I could be wrong on that.

IIRC the mag catch guard was one of HKs upgrades, making them only appear on A2s, but I could be wrong on that.

Yep, wrong! :P

Mag catch guards were added very quickly after initial issues of the rifle found the problem with mags being released by accident. Early versions of the guards were were produced by unit armourers before being standardised and added to all L85a1s, L86a1s and L98a1s by the early 1990s.

Didn't require the Germans* to help us out on this one!

*yes I know we owned H&K when the A2 project started...

Where did you get the mag release guard from? I've been looking for one for ages. Is there anywhere that sells them?

Cheers

I made a cardboard model which i fitted to the gun then cut out a metal version.One quick bend around a broom handle & then off to the welders.

@pikuinhas08 checkout www.boomarms.com for the RAS for the G&G/aa http://www.boomarms.com/shop/item.cfm/id/ACM-RAS-R85/curr_code/USD

STAR/ARES http://www.boomarms.com/shop/item.cfm/id/ACM-RAS-L85/curr_code/USD

well when i handled the A1 in cadets years ago i dont remember there not being a mag catch guard.

I was issued the L85 A1 back in 1990,it didn't have the mag release catch guard then & during my time they weren't upgraded.We were also promised specific magazines instead of the reused US throw away M4 mags.Any one issued the A1 will have developed a series of unconcious movements which were repeated every 60 seconds or so which checked the position of the magazine,gas affected parts cover,selector switch & safety{& Bayonet if it was attached}.When using my R85 A1 i instictively still do all the same things,you can see i'm resting my mag on my ammo pouch in the picture below.

DSC_0259.jpg

Edited by rolling-thunder

Well i've got me RAS n Gripod, just waiting for the gun to turn up know. Gonna use an Aimpoint or Eotech for know till I can get an ACOG or that fancy new Spectre (iirc).

RT if you have problems ordering a mount from them I can order you one when I order mine.

are they all daniel defense rails???

I can't find the Madbull anywhere, don't even know if they're available at all.

They've not released them yet, no news on their website either last time I checked so no idea when they'll appear, hopefully not too long left to wait.

Is this based off a RS riser? Because it looks ridiculously ugly.

For the ACOG it is yes, but that particular optics setup was only a brief intermission now that the ELCANs are rolling in to properly replace the SUSAT. If you were doing an army in Afghan impression using DDPM for specific recent years then it'd appropriate, but only for that.

Also just to re-iterate, there is no L85A3, that designation is (at the moment) nothing more than a poor assumption fabricated by people on forums who have mistakenly thought to themselves "well they've updated it, it must be the A3 now". It isn't.

Well i've got me RAS n Gripod, just waiting for the gun to turn up know. Gonna use an Aimpoint or Eotech for know till I can get an ACOG or that fancy new Spectre (iirc).

RT if you have problems ordering a mount from them I can order you one when I order mine.

Cheers Al.I'm just going to be hardfaced & see what happens.They will more than get their money back over the years if they let me keep buying.

rsov have the new scope mount of pre order http://new.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=4&manufacturerId=10&prodId=13743&cateId=191 not sure i'll be able to buy off there again if my paypal dispute goes through for missing pieces?

ernesto,does the mag work or is it for show?

Emag work fine,

enough a bit sharpen up balls catch

• 2 weeks later...