SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really want one of these L85 RIS systems, but before i go down this route maybe somebody can help me? i know this isn't the best place for it but since people are using similair setups might get the answers i need.

I really didn't want use lipo but i'm willing to stomach it, but if i use a 7.4 Lipo pack as rolling thunder has previous suggested how well would the gearbox cope in conjunction with a systema energy motor?

I really want one of these L85 RIS systems, but before i go down this route maybe somebody can help me? i know this isn't the best place for it but since people are using similair setups might get the answers i need.

I really didn't want use lipo but i'm willing to stomach it, but if i use a 7.4 Lipo pack as rolling thunder has previous suggested how well would the gearbox cope in conjunction with a systema energy motor?

It'll cope just fine, 7.4 lipo is (roughly) equivalent to a 9.6 nimh in terms of ROF, and that's what affects wear on the gearbox.

As ED-SKaR says,the 7.2Lipo is equivilant to a 9.6v Nimh.If you have your gun upgraded to remove the blow back then the 7.2v Lipo will cause no problems.Your only other choice is a batterybox or sling bag for the battery.The 7.2v 1100MaH battery i'm using isn't as effected by cold weather as a Nimh might be,it's less obtrusive & it will sit in the gun all weekend & still be able to power the gun by the time i come to pull the trigger{which is more than my Nimh batteries have been able to do.}

7.4v lipo's are totally fine on stock guns. The voltage is low, but the sheer amount of avaliable amps is where they really shine. Mine made a Classic Army Motor spin a sp120 in my ICS L85 faster than the stock motor or a magnum clone I have on hand. (FYI, until now I thought CA motors were useless).

I have no idea why people even bother with those crappy NiMH's. The only expensive part is getting a smart charger, but once you do, it lasts a lifetime and good ones can charge on car batteries and you can help your buddies out by keeping their NiMH's cycled and charged at the field. Also you'll need a lipo alarm to avoid over-discharging and damaging the battery and other equipment.

It may sound like a lot, but trust me, you'll never go back. They're so much nicer to use, me and my whole team have forgotten the old days of having to actually switch out batteries they last so long!

Anyway, here's my ICS L85 along with my KJW 1911 and a save phace mask I did a custom job on. If anyone is curious, yes I can aim just fine with the mask and scope combination.

5837424397_22b60c726d_b.jpg

5837434183_40a3d8eabc_b.jpg

5837981362_a2acfb1654_b.jpg

The Save Phace mask I did a sand texture paint job on to match the desert, L85 has a hornbill and chinese (bravo) 4x ACOG and internally a CA motor running a sp120 with all stock parts except a metal cylinder head, and the Kjw 1911 is stock with a Guarder Steel Outer and a Nineball/Prometheus/Laylax Inner Barrel.

I've been considering the idea of R.I.S. however I have no need for a flashlight/torch, laser, or anything really except my magpul AFG, so for now I'm just going to keep the stock hand guard which although they are slightly off, work just fine for me.

Maybe once they come out with an ICS specific R.I.S. I'll mount all those on. Anybody know how much weight the R.I.S. adds on? Is it really noticeable or is it actually helpful in balancing the gun out?

P.S. I'm looking to create a more modern British Loadout as my team is switching to multicam. Is there any way right now to get a hold of even knock-off multi-terrain camouflage? If not I'll just use multicam in the mean time.

Also, what forms of vest/plate carriers/chest rigs do British soldiers and marines use in Afghanistan? And what form of helmet is commonly used? Sorry, but I'm finding it hard to get a straight answer as from I've gathered equipment regulations are often 'bent' and servicemen are opting to purchase their own custom equipment for their gear and rifles.

Thanks for the help! :D

Edited by morugatu

@moru...

The RIS weighs I think around half a kilo. When coupled with a foregrip it makes it extremely monouverable. Hornbill are making one for the ICS (see below)

@raito

Check RSOV, apparently Hornbill are making a RIS for a WE, ICS, AA, Star designs, and is apparently going to be available mid June

Ah, ok, I've been eying the hornbill stuff for awhile now and it is mid-June and still no sign of any flash hider or conversion kit for the ICS? From what info I've found online it seems the G&G and ICS are similar in terms of how the flash hider is mounted which makes me really want an ACM G&G flash hider, however I'm not sure enough to shell out the money. Anybody know if they're compatible?

And while I do love my hornbill scope mount, I think I may just end up waiting for a madbull conversion or full kit for the ICS. It would be cheaper for me anyway as I get free shipping and discounts at domestic dealers.

Also I'm really scared of what the conversion kit will be. Hopefully nothing eye-sore worthy.

Edited by morugatu

They really do don't they?! S&M skill at arms! I was hoping among all the kit we were looking after at the time that a Spectre would show up but no such luck, just SUSATs, ACOGs, EoTechs, VIPIRs and a smattering of other spam kit all in lovely ACU & CB pouches.

:D

A fix for a minor issue.

After fitting my ACM RIS to my G&G L85 I noticed that the rear bracing bolt actually didn't do much. The original bolt is a cap head M4 x 10 allen bolt. The thing is the head bottoms out before the bolt tightens against the receiver. Anyway I had a look on EBay and found a store "BoltMeUp" selling M4 x 12 grubs screws at £1.49 for ten. I fitted one earlier and it now does what it was always supposed to do.

002Medium.jpg008Medium.jpg

005Medium.jpg004Medium.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just realized in this pic, the guy on the right has a camoed L85, anyone got a better pic?

This is by far the most camo'ed L85 I could come across:

b838dd55.jpg

9b3fcb13.jpg

8245ed1d.jpg

I have to admit I am not a big fan of L85s coloured anything but maybe a light sand dusting and natural wear-and-tear, but the one this guy is using actually looks pretty good.

Having seen a fair amount of rifles here in Afghan, I can say that any camo'd ones are definitely the exception...

There's an interesting variety of sight systems in use, however the majority have basic SUSATs. I have even seen a couple with iron sights and basic foregrips, not the rail system. But I think they were RAF...

• 2 weeks later...