SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon there is space under the barrel inside the RIS for a small lipo, but there's nothing to stop it dangling out of the front of the gun, and battery changes would involve some gun dissassembly, since the bolt that holds the RIS on is under the trigger guard, and since the ICS one doesn't pop off like a real one, I had to take the TMH off just to do the bolt up.

I know you said that it would just dangle out the front of the gun, but about how much room is there in the RIS for a lipo? Can you estimate the dimensions for me?

I am going to pick up my RIS next weekend, and hope to use a lipo(I'll worry about the dangling when I reach that point).

I have the RIS unit on my L85 A2,i use a 7.2 1100 mah Lipo which sits at the bottom of the RIS behind the gas block.The balance lead goes out in front of the block & i attach an alarm.Neither the battery nor the alarm are noticable. Admittedly i change the battery at dinner just to make sure the gun doesn't run dry on power.A field change isn't the easiest thing in the world.

I can't really say i can get a much bigger battery in my gun,i have managed a 2200 mah but that was being deformed by squeezing it in place so i went for the smaller battery so it wouldn't get damaged.

I'm using the AA R85 A1 which i had upgraded for the gear box fix which removed the blow back.I replaced the charging handle with the A2 version & fitted the RIS.I still have to upgrade the flash hider,get the correct sight,scope mount & light unit.I also intend picking up a SUSAT as i still have an A1 AA R85 which i need to finish off.

This http://www.component-shop.co.uk/html/vp15c2s1100cs.html is the battery i'm using,it has the dimensions

Edited by rolling-thunder

There IS room on G&G (Army) based L85's however on the ICS based L85's there is no room for a battery. There is a large metal block under the foresight and its long and wide enough to prevent any battery installation unless you heavily modded it with a drill. Drilling it off would not affect the R.I.S., however it will mess up the installation of the stock hand guard (if you cared) not to mention it would be a HUGE pain in the butt.

Madbull really needs to have some better instructions for installation, it would have been way easier had I known exactly what went where, especially in regards to the sling hook coming off the stock hand guard.

well in all its years its never been skirmished, plinks fine in the back garden though, basically it was donated to my armoury from a close friend quite a few years back,maybe 7yrs, itd been sat in his loft for god knows how many more, it was decided it was criminal not to have it on the wall with the others.i have no idea what it cost back in the day, but im sure it wasnt cheap.

Never opened it up,because ive never needed to, as for finish, its pretty good, the whole front set is steel i think, very well put together, just as good as the real steel lol.

the susat is plastic but works and has the correct reticule.

OK, finally, here's mine:

DSCN0128.jpg

I know the rail covers aren't right, but they'll have to do until I can find the right ones. I'm resisting the urge to go nuts with the XTM rail covers and AFGs I've got lying around not doing anything. The M6 light is just a stand in until I get a replica LLM, but it doesn't look too bad on there. The PEQ box solves my battery problems for now. Looks odd seeing one on a SA80, but if it's good enough for SFSG......

Looks good! Is that one of Rudy's wing mounts? What Docter sight is it?

I don't know who Rudy is. I got the mount from BritKitUSA. The Doctor came with the ACOG and mount from RSOV.

Second that, optics setup/impressions please.

The optics are pretty good. Nice and clear, and the ACOG mount allows for you to adjust you're eye releif pretty well. Only problem was the mounting screws that came with the doctor sight were too thin to mount to the wing mount, and I didn't have any in my bits box that would fit. So I had to improvise. With superglue.

My VFC LLM-01 arrived on Monday. A nice looking little unit, although since finally getting hold of a battery today I have found that the remote switch doesn't work. I've conn checked the switch & cable assembly and all appears to be ok there.

I've taken a look inside the LLM itself and there there nothing apparently wrong to my eyes in there. I did do a little soldering to some of the cable lines which had just been twisted together then unshrunk heat shrink slid over the connections. Once soldered it did appear that the white light was a little brighter but that could just be wishful thinking on my part.

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue with the remote switch?

same here man, which i thought was pretty *suitcase*

Fear not, a very helpful chap from Sweden going by the user name "Lajjvo", cleared things up for me earlier.

As you know with the switch set to "VIS" and then pressing the main buttons on the unit body until you hear/feel a click will cause the LED light or laser to turn on and stay on until the button is pressed firmly again to turn it off.

With the LED light and/or laser turned on as required turn the switch back to "0", the light/laser will go out but now when the remote switch is pressed the selected illumination will turn on, a light press on the remote will give a momentary when held while a firm press will act as a toggle turning the light or laser on until pressed again to turn it off.

Easy when you know how!

Cheers.... I have the raised ACoG mount but I haven't bought a sight yet due to there not being a close to UK spec one available out of the box, all the ones with a doctor fitting being the newer EBS type TA31 ACoG.

As for the Specter that's also a non starter for now as all the replicas utilise the x1 to x4 DR body shape while the UK issue one is the fixed mag OS4X.

So for the time being I'll be sticking with the SUSAT and using my increasingly limited funds to flesh it out with EMAGs and rail covers.

Cheers.... I have the raised ACoG mount but I haven't bought a sight yet due to there not being a close to UK spec one available out of the box, all the ones with a doctor fitting being the newer EBS type TA31 ACoG.

As for the Specter that's also a non starter for now as all the replicas utilise the x1 to x4 DR body shape while the UK issue one is the fixed mag OS4X.

So for the time being I'll be sticking with the SUSAT and using my increasingly limited funds to flesh it out with EMAGs and rail covers.

Has anybody in the British army been issued the Spectre yet? Photos?

I know that they were putting it through trials and that it was set to replace the SUSAT, but has it actually been issued?

Edited by L85FREAK