SA80 Picture Thread

ICS rail? Did your rifle come with one then? Never seen that as an after market part.

Shh.. that sounds like common sense. The angry mob hear you say that and they'll drag you away and beat you to death with a wooden AKM stock.

I may have gotten the wrong end of the stick but I think you're talking about one of these things? http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/ics-l85l86-m1913-tactical-rail

For some reason ICS include one with their L86 but you have to buy it separately for the L85. Does the job though.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the mount mounted that way on a weapon on the Ross Kemp in Afghanistan programme & now i understand why.With the scope mounted in such a way i don't have to mess with the eye relief & have a clear sight picture when i bring the weapon to my shoulder.I'll try mounting it the other way but if it doesn't work for me then it goes back how it is.

I have a normal stance,when the mount is turned round it brings the sight closer to my eye. I have more adjustment to bring it closer or move it further away the way it's pictured.I currently have the mount the "normal" way but it isn't as instinctive & i have to lean into the sight for the best eye relief. I guess i'll use it the "normal" way for a while to see if i can get on with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Time to post pictures of my guns.Both are Army Armament R85s.

SA80L85A1A23.jpg

SA80L85A1A21.jpg

The A2 is on top with the VFC LLM attached & the A1 is on the bottom with the SUSAT i've just recieved.I've bought another LLM for the A1 so i need to fix a rail to the front furniture so i can mount it.

Edited by rolling-thunder
  • 5 weeks later...

P1020811.jpg

I figured there's probably enough rifles out there now which follow the new standard and I'm also really not a fan of Grip-Pods, so I thought I'd stick to the legacy colour for plastic furniture on L85s.

Weighs a *fruitcage* ton, but given the barrel length, the improved ergonomics gained by using the rail and the myriad features of the optic, I'm quite happy with that. The only thing I'd really like to do is sort out a wider/padded sling, the sling points on the ICS are particularly narrow (even more so than those on the real weapon) which makes it rather awkward.

P1020815.jpg

P1020824.jpg

P1020818.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

post-59849-0-61218100-1329358518_thumb.jpg

No serious frills to it - Army Armament R85A1. No internal upgrades. Second hand SA80 series sling attached. Cheap and cheerful LLM attached with electrical tape - obviously it doesn't hold a zero worth talking of but the torch is useful in CQB and the laser for rapid target indication. The EOTech is a cheap and cheerful ebay find, 18 quid, it does the job and is bloody handy considering I play mostly at night these days. And yes, I just took the iron sights off and bunged the EOTech straight on - no additional rails or attachments were needed, it screws in tightly enough and provided it isn't knocked too hard, it holds its zero (there was one time where the enemy was less than ten feet away from me and I missed by centimetres due to the fact that I'd knocked the sight off centre :D ). What more do you want?

That said, it chucks out an acceptable ROF (I don't really care about it that much), it's accurate, consistent and chucks out 50m range. It's competitive and it was cheap at 165 quid! I've had it for a year and put thousands and thousands of rounds through it with nothing going wrong. The trigger response could be crisper and to that end I'm thinking of sorting out a MOSFET for it. I might source an A2 cocking handle and get a guard around the magazine release catch but they're not really that important. Money needs to go on food, textbooks and beer first :)

Have to say I agree with EOtechs looking nice on SA80s...

Here's my old LSW with 552.

198744_239956862701856_100000626314700_797370_831490_n.jpg

Not in use anymore sadly, as the internals are knackered beyond belief, and the lower receiver needs replacing. If I ever get the funds, I think I'll restore it.

And now, for something completely different fictional - the ICS Carbine. Bought due to space restraints.

forum.jpg

I have the 'proper' ACOG mount for it now.

I'd like to try and drill/bolt a G36C handguard-RIS rail onto this, so I can fit a foregrip - does anyone know if it's possible? Aside from that, I really like the carbine. Very easy to move, aim with. I do get L85 envy though, I can't deny I'd like to make a modern L85A2-rail...

Just a quick question (for a mate) - can the L22/AFV/SA80K mount iron sights? A mate with an ARES L22 wants to put iron sights on it, but he isn't sure if it's possible, sensible (or if it can be done to the real steel L22s)

Edited by blind_marksman
  • 2 months later...

Looks weird, it isn't something a traditionalist would love, but this set-up works really well.

I'm incredibly happy with it, even though from certain angles when the bipod is folded up it looks like I have a tuning fork growing out of the end of my carbine...

P1011815.jpg

P1011814-1.jpg

Edited by blind_marksman