SA80 Picture Thread

<snip>

I figured there's probably enough rifles out there now which follow the new standard and I'm also really not a fan of Grip-Pods, so I thought I'd stick to the legacy colour for plastic furniture on L85s.

Weighs a *fruitcage* ton, but given the barrel length, the improved ergonomics gained by using the rail and the myriad features of the optic, I'm quite happy with that. The only thing I'd really like to do is sort out a wider/padded sling, the sling points on the ICS are particularly narrow (even more so than those on the real weapon) which makes it rather awkward.

<snip>

<snip>

<snip>

Did you just rob a real-steel rail kit from your work? :waggle:

What are those green two-part rail covers? I could use some of those...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you just rob a real-steel rail kit from your work? :waggle:

What are those green two-part rail covers? I could use some of those...

Even if the armoury boys did let me have a rail (I'm in the bomb dump) then it wouldn't go near the ICS rifle, the attachment system is just too different. The gas block on the ICS doesn't even have the hole for the sling-point bolt to go through. Plus, if I had just blatantly nicked MoD property, I definitely wouldn't post it up on here for the world to see, heh.

As scorch said, XTM rail panels. Very handy little things for non-standard length rails (i.e. anything that isn't 7" or a multiple of), very versatile and modular as rail covers go.

• 4 weeks later...

I wonder why this is supplied with iron sights instead of a SUSAT replica - no LSWs ever use iron sights, even the ones belonging to my Signals unit have SUSATs.

I guess it's because either:

a) Unlike ARES/G&G, ICS don't make their own SUSAT and don't want to sell their stuff with a competitor's optic or

b ) Keeping costs down. The G&G SUSAT is (or was, last time I looked) about £120 - the LSW is £360 (damn you price drop! If only I'd waited...). If ICS want their LSW to sell more, adding an optic into the box would probably price it out of the market for some.

That, and it gives the buyer a choice in optics - they can always buy something else, rather than be stuck with a SUSAT they either don't want or don't need.

Edited by blind_marksman
  • 1 month later...

Apparently I'm anything but a traditionalist. My ICS L86, maybe 80% finished. Trying to be different, still working on getting the stock bipod and barrel supports on there. Unfortunately the right tools aren't so accessible in Korea, well at least in my apartment. Took 4 months, 5 packages, 1 customs rejection, and an idiot at USPS putting one package on a boat instead of in a plane to get all the parts into Korea so I'm just happy to actually have all the parts, ha ha.

photo_1_3_1.JPG

Edited by lacanuck24

Lacanuck have to say my friend thats Quite possibly the most fugaly gun I have ever seen ! BUT and this is the important bit , its your gun and you built it , and as long as your happy with it mate that's all that matters , I'm sure you'll have fun using it .

Lacanuck have to say my friend thats Quite possibly the most fugaly gun I have ever seen ! BUT and this is the important bit , its your gun and you built it , and as long as your happy with it mate that's all that matters , I'm sure you'll have fun using it .

Fugly, is more of an understatement. PEQ is necessary to fit my battery. AFG, still undecided whether it'll stay. Far from the prettiest gun, but unique. LMG-wanna-be. But, just like my mom always told me I was the best looking kid in my cl*albatross*, I do find it appealing visually on occasion. Only one outing but a whole lotta WTF looks hahaha

As Popeye once said, "I y'am what I y'am!"

One day she'll look more stock with the stock bipod. One day

To me, that sort of looks like the way an L85/86 would end up if they could be purchased by US civilians.

Obviously ignoring the fact that it's a bullpup so the barrel is already well over 16" long even on the IW let alone the LSW so there wouldn't actually be a need for the long barrel, but adding the Magpul stuff, Surefire mag, EoTech etc do give it that look.

I like it!

lacanuck24, how difficult was it to fit the rail system on the ICS? I was under the impression that the ICS L85 and L86 handguards fit on to the guns in an entirely different way.

Took some work with a hacksaw and a file. If I had access to an angle grinder, maybe 10 minutes of work total, but by hand about 30. If I was stateside I would've tried to source extra parts so I could go back to the stock set-up. But as it is, I'm stuck with the decision I've made.

photo_328.JPG

photo_249.JPG

photo_126.JPG

Surefire mags are available at any Echo1 dealer. Got mine at Airsoftgi, buddy got his from Evike. Not bad for a unique looking mag.

Edited by lacanuck24
  • 3 weeks later...

Have to say I agree with EOtechs looking nice on SA80s...

Here's my old LSW with 552.

198744_239956862701856_100000626314700_797370_831490_n.jpg

Not in use anymore sadly, as the internals are knackered beyond belief, and the lower receiver needs replacing. If I ever get the funds, I think I'll restore it.

And now, for something completely different fictional - the ICS Carbine. Bought due to space restraints.

forum.jpg

I have the 'proper' ACOG mount for it now.

I'd like to try and drill/bolt a G36C handguard-RIS rail onto this, so I can fit a foregrip - does anyone know if it's possible? Aside from that, I really like the carbine. Very easy to move, aim with. I do get L85 envy though, I can't deny I'd like to make a modern L85A2-rail...

Just a quick question (for a mate) - can the L22/AFV/SA80K mount iron sights? A mate with an ARES L22 wants to put iron sights on it, but he isn't sure if it's possible, sensible (or if it can be done to the real steel L22s)

Proper rifle bro :D think you could do a review on it? I have only seen one...and it wasn't the best.

• 3 weeks later...

Fugly, is more of an understatement. PEQ is necessary to fit my battery. AFG, still undecided whether it'll stay. Far from the prettiest gun, but unique. LMG-wanna-be. But, just like my mom always told me I was the best looking kid in my cl*albatross*, I do find it appealing visually on occasion. Only one outing but a whole lotta WTF looks hahaha

As Popeye once said, "I y'am what I y'am!"

One day she'll look more stock with the stock bipod. One day

If you need to use a PEQ for a rail system why not use the AN/PEQ2 that the British forces use. I have a battery box version with a working laser on mine and looks and works a treat.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks good Maveric. What make is your LLM01? :)

L85_SUSATMagpul_Emag.jpg

Got my "Optics Depot" SUSAT from RSOV today. Looks so much better than with iron sights.

Anyone know if the STAR 20 round L85 magazine fits G&G? I've started to really like the L22/AFV, after years of thinking it was the ugliest thing ever made. ;)