SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And certain people have done that.. (the teeth thing)

Everyone I've ever seen shoots SA80 family in the right hand, can't really imagine any exceptions other than when some ninja shizzle goes down in real bad places.  Although they do allow people to shoot pistols left handed an issue holsters accordingly.  No idea what happens with things like the Benelli and the LMT but I'd imagine most people would carry on shooting righty if they've been drilled to shoot that way for so many years on another system (that's if they get a choice).

Shame, I guess I'll never pick one up :/

The only reason it's (sort-of) worked here is that the U.K. has a very low rate of personal gun ownership and a rate of semi-automatic-centerfire-rifle ownership that is legally fixed at zero. So (unlike the U.S., for example) very few people joining the British Army already know how to shoot. It's much easier to teach a left-handed person to shoot right-handed if they've not had the opportunity to learn to shoot left-handed first.

That said, it's still a f***ing stupid design that only becomes more stupid the more you think about it. The L85 is unlike literally every other modern assault rifle that I can think of in that it cannot even be fired (let alone be cocked, be moved between fire modes or release its magazine) ambidextrously. What if you need to shoot left around cover? Is it just 'dentist time'? I would have thought that giving the rifle a non-reciprocating cocking handle would have been one of HK's priorities during the A2 upgrade programme, but apparently not.

I think there are probably more compelling reasons that you'll never get to pick up a real SA80, though - I don't seem to recall there being many on the civilian market, even in the trigger-happy US.

Edited by PureSilver

I remember many groans from the lefties when they had to shoot right handed. Saying that ,when they were brought up to speed they were as good at shooting as everyone else. Saying that,in my Regiment we were never taught to shoot using iron sights,not even the ones on the SUSAT.

You can fire it left handed, you just won't have any accuracy at anything more then very close quarters ranges and only be able to use a red dot, because you'll holding the weapon in a rather 'stretched out' fashion as it were.

I looked at a set of A1 parts last week and HK definitely had higher priorities than the reciprocation of the cocking handle, to put it lightly.  Anyway, you can shoot your AEG however you like (and I do) like so it's a great airsofting gun I reckon, just wish ICS would make a carbine.

• 1 month later...

Externally? Very little change between the A1 and A2 apart from the cocking handle. The Army R85 is missing the mag catch guard (also fitted to the A1 very early in it's life), but you'll have to either sort that yourself, or ignore it.  A small detail is to repaint the gas cylinder from silver to black.

After that, it's just picking mags, optics and the flashider to represent whatever time period you're after.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Of the 3 main designs I think most people would put ARES at the bottom in that respect although the G&G is somewhat complex to strip as well.  In terms of easiest access and working on the box itself the ICS wins by a long way to my mind, for starters just getting the thing out takes about 5 seconds with no tools required and the quick-change spring will make opening and closing the box itself substantially easier.