SA80 Picture Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone with an SA80 sling, How do you deal with the excess strap?

My sling, when properly tightened, gives me a tail of material that just hangs down my back. If I'm not doing it right, I need some other guide besides the ones on the internet right now, because following those leaves me with said tail.

For anyone with an SA80 sling, How do you deal with the excess strap?

My sling, when properly tightened, gives me a tail of material that just hangs down my back. If I'm not doing it right, I need some other guide besides the ones on the internet right now, because following those leaves me with said tail.

Just fold up the excess and wang a bit of black nasty round it (duct tape). :) I never bother though.

While I'm here, has anyone tried the all-metal Star gearboxes? Any improvement?

:)

Edited by Panoptes
Ew. Is that seriously the standard procedure?
The 'slack' actually comes in useful when re-adjusting the sling, depending on what dress state you're in. I certainly don't think you'll see many soldiers actually 'cutting it to length'.

...and when they handed it in deliberately damaged, they'd also get a swift boot up the arsse from the CQMS! ;)

:)

Edited by Panoptes
LSW's are nice. To bad they're replacing them. Would love to use on in my Royal Marine Commandos impression. Guess i'll have to stick to ye ol' m249p

Could I ask a favor from you people? I've hit a dilemma wit regards to what direction I'm taking my L85. I've found that It's accurate enough at range such that it would benefit from a low magnification sight.

I use This for face protection. I would prefer not to change my protection, since it has a lovely blend of being light, low profile, breathable, and still offering face protection.

Thing is, it's not as simple as picking up a Hammers 2x42 red dot and being done with it. Sights like that are very low on an M4, which would make them impossible to aim through on an L85 with goggles and face protection. I could put it on a riser, but that leaves me with an extremely functional, but really really ugly setup.

The Hammers 2x42 claims unlimited eye relief. Are there any aesthetically acceptable sights that offer this kind of functionality?

Now for my actual request: I would like to get pictures of an L85 (A1 or A2, it makes little difference as long as it's the rifle and not the carbine or support weapon) with as many different optical setups as possible.

A friend of mine uses a Sensei mask. What he did has cut off a cheek, enabling to get into a good position to aim from.

I'm familiar with this type of face protection, but I'd rather keep with what I have.

This or This look pretty good (I think they're the same sight. If anyone can verify this, I would appreciate it), but I'm not sure if they are high enough.

xlizer, my point being, the design is similar, lop your cheek off and you'll be fine :)

I've honestly thought about it, but I still don't think it's a very good solution. Even without the face part, it's hard to get a good picture on some scopes. Above all, I'm looking for a scope that won't be slower to acquire a picture with than the iron sights.

To be honest, if you insist on having a facemask and a zooming scope on your l85 you're stuck between a rock and a hard place really, it may just be easier to get an rds, or get a cheap nc star scope which is fairly large and stick it as far back as you can.

I know. If I weren't, I would have just bought an acceptable product and been done with it. Problem is, I've done pretty extensive research on the subject, and have still come up blank. That's why I came here with the question.

Realistically though, I don't understand why there isn't a good solution. We have unlimited eye relief 2x red dot sights, we have ACOG shells... Why has no company ever put them together?

Basically, What I'm asking for is for pictures of what different optics look like on top of an L85 so that I can find how far (on a scale of Hammers 2x red dot to ACOG) I can go without making my weapon platform hideous.

Not being funny most variations people have tried will be in this thread somewhere. Stick some music on grab a drink and have scroll through.

I've been through this thread. I don't feel it really gives an adequate selection of possible optics. A lot of the variety in optics here is in the realm of unobtainable to a US civilian, or impractical from a skirmish perspective. I'll give it another look anyway though. It has been a long time since I've gone through the first few pages.

EDIT:

The following are the sights seen attached to any L85 varient, along with how many times it appears in this thread (excluding quotes and reposts).

79 Iron sights

113 SUSAT

8 Unobtainable

15 ACOG

11 EOtech

4 ELCAN

7 Tube Aimpoint

1 Elongated (zoomed?) Aimpoint

2 Aimpoint Comp 4

Edited by xlizer

Picked up my new Ares L85A2 as well as a STAR SUSAT today. Absolutely love it as much as I had hoped I would...well-made and with a good weight to it! So glad I held off paying for a STAR one and waited for the Ares ones! The eye-relief on the SUSAT is as useless as I had read about, but oh well!

dsc0005edit1.jpg

Picked up my new Ares L85A2 as well as a STAR SUSAT today. Absolutely love it as much as I had hoped I would...well-made and with a good weight to it! So glad I held off paying for a STAR one and waited for the Ares ones! The eye-relief on the SUSAT is as useless as I had read about, but oh well!

Erm isn't Ares just the new rebrand for STAR? The compnay is the same with the same products many shops even refer to their items as STAR/Ares just so people can recognise the brand.

Erm isn't Ares just the new rebrand for STAR? The compnay is the same with the same products many shops even refer to their items as STAR/Ares just so people can recognise the brand.

Yes, I realise that. I was implying that I was glad I hadn't spent the extra money on the "STAR" before the "Ares" re-brand and price drops.