''Over There'' on Sky One

ColDaz

It's set during Operation Overlord, D+3. A US Cavalary unit has been sent back in time in mysterious circumstances, and they have to battle their way to  Paris with their superior weapons. Like Dan Dare, but in reverse.

Make his best friend a talking pie and you've got the makings of a hit show.

All it needs is a name to enthral the american crowd, something including the word "mega" or even "extreme"!

"Series 2 of hit flop NBC show 'Over There' premieres tonight. 'Over There: Total War', has revamped the format significantly, including the introduction of Sgt van Graafen, a vampire from the planet Necros, as well giving several of the existing characters bizarre mutant powers..."

Is that the one with the turn-based Risk-alike map, in which you work for Emperor Saddalair Bush until you become powerful enough to make a move on his position, and turn against the Mighty Iraqi Empire itself in one final showdown?

Careful, once you begin to get too powerful, the Emperor may send WMDs to secretly assassinate you.

"In a galaxy far, far away Senator Bush convinces the Senet to send in storm marines to capture the oil bases under the guise of the evil Iraq trade federation are creating a droid army out of WMD's.

Little does the Senet know that Senator Bush is actually the evil Emperor, determined to take over the galaxy and force his will onto every living person. His will, his way of life, the American way of life."

"The only thing that stands in his way is Mark Hamill, a badly written script and a goldern robot called Jacques Chirac"

(Disclaimer: All characters mentioned in the above statement are a work of fiction and any resemblance to any person, living or dead is just a coincidence...except Jacques Chirac)

Okay, pleeeeeease let's curtail the spam and get back on topic, or just refrain from posting. Thanks ;)

---------------------------------------------

As for my own comments on this series, I originally thought this was some kind of surreal black-comedy, but now I am just hoping it is (although I doubt it).

If this is ANY kind of true indication of the behaviour of the American Armed Forces, I am truly saddened that any Western military force could behave in such a way.

I have met soldiers in the US Army before and I will hopefully be doing so again soon, and I have not before seen this kind of disregard for the chain of command or an indigenous people, arrogance of NCOs, brutality towards fellow man, etc...

As such I believe that this series has been written by people who have no knowledge of the US Military and are deliberately making them out to be gung-ho brain-dead psychopaths, when my experience would indicate otherwise.

So, is this series an accurate representation of the US Army (in which case the entire western world is in trouble), or are the writers of the series inadvertently (or more worryingly, purposefully) creating propaganda AGAINST America?

I have watched every episode so far, and each one makes me pray that this is in NO WAY a representation of how the US Army actually operates.

Are there any members of this forum that are in the US Army that can shed any light on the accuracy of the behaviour exhibited by this series?

Cheers ;)

Archived