Oakley Pro M Frame Heater Ballistic Shooting Array

After experiencing fogging issues whilst using ballistic goggles I decided I was going to buy myself a pair of shooting glasses, as I’d been told they were a good investment when it came to combating fogging issues. I was looking for some decent 'shooting style' glasses for a skirmish. I’d heard nothing but good things about the Oakley Pro M Frame Ballistic Shooting Array from people who had used them, and, seeing how these where the only Oakley sunglasses that were guaranteed to offer ballistic protection I went ahead and ordered a pair from a UK based company, www.shootinggear.co.uk. At first I was slightly sceptical with regards to the price of the Oakley Shooting Array, but having owned Oakley eyewear products in the past I had faith in them and decided that ultimately you get what you pay for.

p468658reg.jpg

A choice of three lense styles is available; ‘Sweep’, ‘Strike’ and ‘Heater’ (Reviewed). The Glasses come in a hardened case known as a ‘Vault’ that has foam inserts to ensure protection of the glasses in transit or other, similar situations. Included with the Oakley Shooting Array are three sets of lenses; G26, VR50 and Clear. Also included are a soft bag/cleaning cloth and instruction manuals.

Styles.JPG

The protection offered by the Oakley Shooting Array exceeds even my expectations (And I’m an Oakley fan boy of sorts.) The lenses or ‘shields’ are made of pure Plutonite. A proprietary material that exceeds ANSI Z87.1 standards for high-velocity and high mass impact protection. Oakley really do test the lenses used in their glasses thoroughly, as you’ll be able to see if you follow this link: http://oakley.com/technology/impact_protection/

As I said, I have the utmost faith in the amount protection the Oakley Shooting Array offers, but for my own piece of mind I decided to test them myself before skirmishing them, as I’m sure you would too. Here is a brief explanation of how I tested the lenses:

1. The first test is to fire a single shot from an AEG firing at 328FPS (Feet Per Second) at the lenses from point blank range.

2. The second test consisted of firing a volley of BBs at the lenses from a couple of feet away from an AEG firing at 328FPS.

3. The third test is, at a slightly longer range of about 3-4 feet, is to hammer the lenses with sustained fire, also from an AEG firing at 328FPS.

Upon examining the lenses after the tests I discovered they were totally unmarked. Needless to say I was satisfied with the results.

As I mentioned earlier there are three interchangeable lenses included in the Oakley Shooting Array. The G26 shield controls reflection and transmission to enhance orange hues, making range targets and hunters vests stand out. The VR50 shield improves contrast under overcast and flat indoor light and clear lens provides optical armour for night and low-light shooting.

Lenses.JPG

The low-profile nosepiece won't fragment your field of view and will prevent the glasses from smashing into the bridge of your nose when they are hit by BBs. It’s extremely comfortable so as to prevent irritation during prolonged periods of wear.

NosePiece.JPG

Changing the lenses over couldn’t be easier. You simply insert one of the hooks located at either the top left or top right of the lense into the corresponding groove in the frame, bend the lense slightly (Don’t worry, the lenses wont snap, they are built to withstand a heck of a lot of punishment.) and insert the opposite hook on the lense into the opposite groove in the frame.

productPic1509.jpg

Conclusion:

The Oakley Shooting Array is the ultimate eye pro and the choice of professionals all over the world. These glasses truly have turned out to be everything I expected and more. The glasses are absolutely first class glasses and vision is near perfect, they are extremely sturdy and, due to the wrap around design, minimise the chances of stray BBs finding their way behind the lenses to the point it becomes highly improbable. In fact I sometimes think I see clearer with them on than without. I have never experienced trouble with fog or sweat build up and the frames hold firm and non-slip. 10/10.

Strengths:

Vision, quality of workmanship, usability, the way the frame glues to your face and of course they look damn cool too!

Weaknesses:

Have to say price (RRP: £200), but at the same time keep in mind you get what you pay for.

Edited by BadAssTronaut